Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove the Ioniq hybrid today in 30 degree weather at a dealership in Horseheads, NY.
The mpg coming out of their lot started at 19 mpg. Over the next 10 mile it slowly ticked upward, it never got better than about 30 mpg. Yes, there was a steep uphill in the middle of the drive but I later came down the same hill. My speeds were mostly under 55 mph. I wasn't running the heater. (Didn't know how to turn it on.)
Does it take a lot of miles (like more than 20) to get the engine "warmed up" to see that amazing 59 mpg?
EV driving seemed to phase into ICE too quickly for my tastes. I was hoping it would have stayed in battery mode longer.
Also, there seems to be so few people here from the US. (Am I in the wrong forum?) I was apparently the first person to test drive this Ioniq too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are you're numbers instant mpg? Or did you at least zero the mpg at the start of your drive?

The mpg coming out of their lot started at 19 mpg. Over the next 10 mile it slowly ticked upward, it never got better than about 30 mpg.
Because "slowly ticked upward" sounds more like that there was some averaged mpg displayed with many miles of low numbers.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
It doesn't take long for the engine warmed up, depending on the outside temperature of course . Was the outside temperature 30 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit ? If Fahrenheit ( British Summer :) ) it would take about 5 miles I suppose .
When I picked my car up the MPG was showing as about 32 mpg ( 26 mpg US ) . By the time I had driven home ( 80 miles various road types ,though mostly at about 70 mph ) , it had risen to about 64.5 mpg ( 53. 7 mpg US ) if I remember correctly . These are UK figures .
The best method of driving is a bit of a learning curve , but best advice is to keep your foot off the accelerator as much as possible and use a light touch when the car is cruising

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Welcome usaion,

Nope your not in the wrong forum, we have a fair number of US members who have been waiting for the Ioniq, the advantage of this forum is where we are all over the world we have had the car in all sorts of conditions and length of time, so we can answer most questions easily

its difficult to judge mpg unless you zero the trip meter reading before you test drive the car, there is a slightly different driving style needed to get the best mpg

Try going back for another test drive and zero the trip, as it only has a small 1.56kwh battery it only does 2-3 miles max in ev before charging the battery again, light right foot is best but if you do need some acceleration it don't hurt the economy to much

Any questions please just ask

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I didn't zero the screen before starting out. Thanks for the suggestion.
This dealership is the kind that let's me drive by myself. I like that because I don't have to carry on distracting conversations with the sales person. But on the other hand, nobody's there to answer questions. (To be honest, I don't think the salesman knew much about the car. Perhaps that's why he sent me out there in "solo" mode?)
It was 30 degrees F, not C. Now that clarifies other numbers in this forum--I wasn't sure if European mpg's were equivalent to US mpg's. Now I know...they're not.
I'll admit, I'm skeptical. That's because my last experience with Hyundai back in the '90s wasn't good. (Car had only 45,000 miles, still under warranty, thank God, with a transmission problem that was never really solved..."synchronizer" was defective.)
When I opened up the Ioniq trunk yesterday, I noticed the lid didn't open or close with a clean, solid motion. There was a slight "shudder," or sideways movement, as if the latch wasn't aligned properly. I thought, "Here we go again."
Someone else posted here that their car's glove compartment vibrated. Little stuff like that bothers me. Having driven a Toyota Echo for the past 14 years (310,000 miles, STILL going strong, 45-50 mpg), I'm used to things...just...working...right.
I really want to get this Ioniq, I really do!
But I need to have total confidence. I don't want to feel like Hyundai's still trying to figure things out, you know what I mean?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
This dealership is the kind that let's me drive by myself. I like that because I don't have to carry on distracting conversations with the sales person. But on the other hand, nobody's there to answer questions. (To be honest, I don't think the salesman knew much about the car. Perhaps that's why he sent me out there in "solo" mode?)
thats the issue, do you play on your own, or take a salesman and listen to the hard sell? mind you I have always said the salesmans hardest job is to get you to have a test drive, as once you drive it the Ioniq sells itself

maybe a second drive with the salesman, then turn the tables and bombard him with questions :)
It was 30 degrees F, not C. Now that clarifies other numbers in this forum--I wasn't sure if European mpg's were equivalent to US mpg's. Now I know...they're not.
yep, US and UK mpg are different

60mpg(UK) = about 50mpg(US), have a look on something like fuelly.com Hyundai Ioniq MPG - Actual MPG from 14 Hyundai Ioniq owners and make sure up in the top left you are set to "units = US"

I'll admit, I'm skeptical. That's because my last experience with Hyundai back in the '90s wasn't good. (Car had only 45,000 miles, still under warranty, thank God, with a transmission problem that was never really solved..."synchronizer" was defective.)
Hyundai did have a poor reputation 5-10 years ago, but in the last 4-5 years they have really improved, and the warranty (5 year unlimited mileage in the UK) seems to put their money where their mouth is on reliability and the styling has become a lot better / more European in the last few years
When I opened up the Ioniq trunk yesterday, I noticed the lid didn't open or close with a clean, solid motion. There was a slight "shudder," or sideways movement, as if the latch wasn't aligned properly. I thought, "Here we go again."
Someone else posted here that their car's glove compartment vibrated. Little stuff like that bothers me. Having driven a Toyota Echo for the past 14 years (310,000 miles, STILL going strong, 45-50 mpg), I'm used to things...just...working...right.
have a look at any others they have on the lot and see if they are all the same or a one off

I really want to get this Ioniq, I really do!
But I need to have total confidence. I don't want to feel like Hyundai's still trying to figure things out, you know what I mean?
currently there are a few teething problems with the European models as we have a lead acid 12v battery and we have a few reports of flat batteries (US model uses a LiPo 12v battery), also a recall on the European media unit for Bluetooth issues (US has a different media unit) so most of the minor issues we are seeing shouldn't occur in the US models

1 - 6 of 6 Posts