Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive my ignorance, but looking at the Chargemap website they indicate that Tesla Super chargers are 135Kw Type 2.
Are these compatible and safe to use with an Ioniq EV?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but looking at the Chargemap website they indicate that Tesla Super chargers are 135Kw Type 2.
I wish!

The Ioniq is not designed to handle that much power during a charging session.

And even if it could handle the power, the Tesla uses a completely different plug and signaling system which is proprietary. No other brand of car is capable of utilizing their SuperChargers.

The best we can use is the likes of the eVgo Level 3 chargers which will give you 90 miles of range in 30 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
1,585 Posts
It is a pity or shame and waste of effort and investment that Tesla has decided not to be cooperative in this respect. It would not have been difficult for them to make their chargers compatible with other car brands. Every car will choose the power level that fits to it, just like how it works for other 100 kW or 150 kW chargers, so that is not an issue.

Reactions: tkalfaoglu

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is a pity or shame and waste of effort and investment that Tesla has decided not to be cooperative in this respect..
Tesla has publicly stated that they are ready and willing to let any other car manufacturer license the supercharger technology and allow that makers cars use their infrastructure. So far no other manufacturer has taken them up on the offer.

Quoted from Charged EV Magazine 24 Sept 2015 interview with Elon Musk
“Our Supercharger network is not intended to be a walled garden,” said Musk. “It’s intended to be available to other manufacturers if they’d like to use it. The only requirements are that the cars must be able to take the power output of our Superchargers, and then just pay whatever their proportion their usage is of the system. We’re actually in talks with some manufacturers about doing just that, and it will be exciting to share that news.”

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
So everyone needs to seek commonality with Tesla, rather than the other way around? How very Musk...

Surely the manufacturers need to get together and stamp on this little upstart? It's already a company valued for in excess of its worth.
Seeking commonality among themselves renders Musk licensing unnecessary.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Surely the manufacturers need to get together and stamp on this little upstart? It's already a company valued for in excess of its worth.
If it wasn't for Tesla there would be very few EVs on the market. They have driven the EV market demand. As for their stock being over valued, that's fine. I got in at $30. :)

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The problem with over-valued stock (and lack of common charging solutions) is that the whole thing is buoyed up by a bubble of expectation. At no point has Musk explained how he plans on cornering the market in battery supply. The Tesla stock may be strong, but they only need to trip up once. At the moment they look like they're going from serving a small market well to serving a large market badly. Can they even reach their goal of 20,000 Model 3's a month by the end of 2017?

And Tesla can't beat China, which has more than 50% of the current world supply of Lithium. Hyundai seem to be showing us the limitation of the mass market EV scene is not good intentions or production capacity, it's the battery.

VW announced in the last few days they will build electric versions of all there (300+) models by 2030. Doing so will require at least 4 Gigafactory-sized battery plants by 2025 just for their own production demands by then (which will be 50 battery vehicles and 30 hybrids). That's a 50 Billion Euro investment. More than Tesla can afford until they have delivered at least on the 500,000 Model 3 orders.

And the Supercharger market will be altered by the arrival of the next generation of chargers to suit the next generation of batteries - 125-135 kW will be needed for the half hour charging cycle when the batteries grow in capacity, with up to 400kW in planning. This moves the `home charging ` to where it naturally belongs - longer-duration charging on an overnight (or at least, longer charging cycle). This could mean that Tesla simply gets leapfrogged, particularly if the development of forecourt charging becomes reality. At which point it's specific plug looks like Betamax in a world of VHS...

I'm sure Musk will have something to fight back with, but it's problematic from an institutional investor point of view.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No. The Ioniq can trickle charge via your household 120V outlet using SAE-J1772 (basically if you look at the charger cable that came with your car, it's the end that doesn't go into the wall outlet), normal charge via level 2 SAE-J1772, or DC fast charge via level 3 SAE combo.

Ioniq is NOT compatible with Tesla, Chademo, or any other standards.

Tesla has the best charging standard and distribution, at least in US. Most of the Chademo and SAE level 3s you find around are severely reduced charge rate (something like 25kW which is stupidly slow). In my experience they are also ludicrously expensive, much more so than gasoline.

Just this weekend I was planning a trip to Algonquin park (Canada), to my disgust there is NO charging infrastructure near the park AT ALL, at least not publicly accessible ones. There are however SEVERAL Tesla chargers.

Not sure what the Ontario is spending that EV infrastructure money on.

I'm gonna rent a humvee and pollute the **** park.:mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Innovation happens. When someone comes along and innovates or provides a forum for freedom to innovate, stuff becomes original. It's not that Tesla is BLOCKING the world from using their systems, it's that they're making up new stuff that's properly suited for their cars where the rest of the world makes the generic.

Personally, and it's not the same for everyone, when I see a product that clearly has serious innovation behind it and costs big, I have more of an appreciation for that than than the 200 million cars out there that all have buttons and twisty dials instead of something different. (Model 3 - You can't deny... It's cool!)

So let's all poo poo on Tesla for using a tech that wasn't perfectly suited for their cars when they first started developing them, then sticking with it.

They can make it so their cars can charge using everyone else's infrastructure, but it's not fair that their chargers don't charge everyone else's cars? In 15 years, this conversation will be moot. We're all in on the ground floor of EV's still (perhaps the first floor) so it's tough to find a place to charge our cars. What's shocking to me is that Gas Stations aren't installing chargers and coffee shops on their properties. There's a conversation that we should be starting!

If you wanna innovate, make THAT your business. There's literally PROPERTY CURRENTLY DESIGNATED for refuelling cars. ...AND electrically speaking, those properties are WAY more suitable and centrally located than some charge stations out there. Both in terms of safety and power requirements. (It takes a ton of power to run those pumps!)

Reactions: mtkupp

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Innovation happens. When someone comes along and innovates or provides a forum for freedom to innovate, stuff becomes original. It's not that Tesla is BLOCKING the world from using their systems, it's that they're making up new stuff that's properly suited for their cars where the rest of the world makes the generic.

Personally, and it's not the same for everyone, when I see a product that clearly has serious innovation behind it and costs big, I have more of an appreciation for that than than the 200 million cars out there that all have buttons and twisty dials instead of something different. (Model 3 - You can't deny... It's cool!)

So let's all poo poo on Tesla for using a tech that wasn't perfectly suited for their cars when they first started developing them, then sticking with it.

They can make it so their cars can charge using everyone else's infrastructure, but it's not fair that their chargers don't charge everyone else's cars? In 15 years, this conversation will be moot. We're all in on the ground floor of EV's still (perhaps the first floor) so it's tough to find a place to charge our cars. What's shocking to me is that Gas Stations aren't installing chargers and coffee shops on their properties. There's a conversation that we should be starting!

If you wanna innovate, make THAT your business. There's literally PROPERTY CURRENTLY DESIGNATED for refuelling cars. ...AND electrically speaking, those properties are WAY more suitable and centrally located than some charge stations out there. Both in terms of safety and power requirements. (It takes a ton of power to run those pumps!)
As I explained some time ago, the reason is that the petrol forecourt is built on the `5-minute turnround` business model. Even 30 minute charging is waaaaay too long for them as long as they have the pool of five minute customers... They will not tolerate a forecourt parking space or pump blocked for any more than 10 minutes as it impacts their bottom line.

However, there are some entering the market space with new charging solutions that ARE targeting the forecourt operator rather than the shopping mall, rest area or service stations. For them crucial is the availability of 135, and 250-400 kW/h charging points to deal with the new generation of larger batteries. A 10 minute top-off is the goal but as the batteries get bigger so must the charging rate in order to keep parity. That is a complex installation on a petrol station forecourt, given the safety Implications and absence of appropriate cabling - you can't just switch out the pump system for electrical on the same feed. Although you could switch out hydrogen fuel cell generating and filling equipment...
Which could also be the reason the forecourt operators are in no rush to switch - we may well have a chemical refill process superceding electric in the visible future and all our plugs are outmoded.>:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
So everyone needs to seek commonality with Tesla, rather than the other way around? How very Musk...

Seeking commonality among themselves renders Musk licensing unnecessary.
Its all about money, vision, and motivation. The established brands were invited to invest and share the infrastructure. They declined. GM said "We don't build gas stations, why should we build charging stations." It's simple, the established automakers want to keep the oil fed combustion cars and trucks making them as much profit for as long as possible. They want to slow down the electric transformation for as long as they can. They are being dragged into building EVs kicking and screaming, and out of fear of being left behind. Tesla has no such baggage and is the only auto company that is behind beating the world's oil addiction 100%. It would have taken government intervention to make everyone use the same plug. I agree with you that all should use the same plug, and wish it was so, but sadly, it isn't. That's how a free market works.

Tesla knows that people are not going to switch to EVs without a robust and reliable charging infrastructure, which costs a fortune. They are the only ones making the necessary investment to make that happen. GM and Ford will not do so. They would prefer sell their gas guzzling $50,000 pickup trucks forever.

·
Super Moderator
1,585 Posts
In Europe it is not the automakers that create the infrastructure, but mostly independent enterprises and cities. Tesla's chargers are in numbers a minority compared to the total number of chargers. The only thing to be expected from automakers including Tesla is that they use one standard connector type which works for all charging points.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In Europe it is not the automakers that create the infrastructure, but mostly independent enterprises and cities. Tesla's chargers are in numbers a minority compared to the total number of chargers. The only thing to be expected from automakers including Tesla is that they use one standard connector type which works for all charging points.
Yeah that's another advantage Tesla has over its competitors. You just need one app to access all of the supercharger network (or whatever they use as access point). Where as EVERY.SINGLE.OTHER.NETWORK has a different app.

I have 5 apps on my phone to access different charging networks wtf??? I don't need 5 different credit cards to get gas at the pump! Why do I need 5 different apps?

If I was a dictator I'd just force every network to use one single standard accessed a single app, or the common credit cards.

·
Super Moderator
1,585 Posts
So you mean for Tesla charging points you need yet another app, I cannot see that as an advantage. Fortunately, in the Netherlands we can use one card for all charging points.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
underdog

I felt a trifle deprived when arriving at a service station in the Midlands yesterday a long row of Tesla charging points and 2 also rans around the corner

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I dont see that. He has offered to licence Superchargers access to other makes. There are already standards in place (CCS, Chademo and Type 2 in the EU), I would imagine it wouldn't be hard for a car maker which is making its first EV to support Superchargers. Theoretically, there would be nothing stopping a car supporting Superchargers and CCS, it would need an extra onboard wizardry. Its purely a matter of cost and willingness to adopt. The last thing we need is more incompatible systems as VW, Jag & Co roll out ultra-speed chargers.

Like Tesla or not, The supercharger network is making EV travel very convenient for Tesla owners, something that a lot of us could only dream about. A recent trip to my in-laws in France showed that for the last 400Km or so, charging is sparse, except for Superchargers which we cant use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not really a fair assessment since Musk has made their EV technology open source so that any car company could conceivably put a long range EV on the road immediately if the will was there. It's no surprise that the Chevy Bolt finally came to market within a year of this announcement with remarkably similar range to a low-end Tesla. It's not Musk that needs to do any explaining. It's the other companies that aren't moving ahead with a real commitment to put emissions-free vehicles on the highways.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts