Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesla is planning on going head to head with Hyundai, and plans to launch in South Korea. How do you think they'll fair with the Model 3 competing with the Ioniq sales wise ?

This was posted by AutomotiveNews:

“Tesla has registered its corporation and plans to set up an office in Seoul, the company said in an emailed response to questions, declining to provide details of its plans.”
“South Korea is among countries where Tesla will offer its Model 3, the car the company is counting on to expand its customer base, CEO Elon Musk said in April. While electric autos comprise less than 1 percent of 21 million vehicles in South Korea, market leaders Hyundai and Kia Motors Corp. plan to have 28 environment-friendly vehicles in their lineups by the end of the decade, including electric cars and hybrids.”

·
Registered
176 Posts
Both are on my short list. It will all come down to price, quality, ride and EV distance.

My Brother just bought a Tesla S90P (or some such number). Pretty impressive. Now I know the Tesla 3 will not be a 90, but it will be interesting to see what it is and the price.

In my mind Tesla sets the height of the gold post, and we will now see if the Ioniq can get over it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think Hyundai has the home country advantage. Because the cars are produced there, buyers won't have to deal with an expensive transportation fee if there is one whereas Tesla will have to ship their vehicles over.

On the other hand, tesla is a more premium brand that people may want instead of a hyundai when it comes to electric vehicles. If the Model 3 is affordable there, Hyundai may lose the Ioniq EV sales to them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's exactly what I'm thinking. A lot of the time people are hindered away from a certain brand because of the extras they'll have to pay in order to get it to them. If the model 3 is sitting right there in the dealerships hometown, you really can't go wrong. Just a matter of seeing when exactly the model 3 will be coming, with all of these delays, it's hard to tell

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
thing is the tesla is a one trick pony (pure EV only) where as the Ioniq is hybrid, plug-in and EV

I think it is to soon for mass market EV's as the batteries are not quite there yet for range, the next gen at about400km per charge may be ok

most like me will probably take the step from petrol to hybrid (or plugin) then one or two more cars down the line to pure EV once better charging infrastructure and range per charge is there

the current 250km range would be ok for a small city car used for short commutes but the Ioniq seems to be aim above this market and for me the range is not enough and having to break my journey several times for charging is too inconvenient

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think the OP is comparing apples with apples, Model 3 vs Ioniq EV. About the "expensive transportation fee" that price is already worked in the price of the car. The destination charge for the Prius (assembled in Japan and shipped to the US) is about the same as a Tesla (assembled in the US.)

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
true , but I am looking at whether either the tesla or the ioniq EV will sell that many, as currently I think the EV's have limited appeal due to range / recharge times

where I am coming from is many will use the ioniq hybrid as a stepping stone to a full EV 1 or 2 cars later, then do they stick with what they know the ioniq or go to the tesla which is likely to be more expensive and bland styling

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't disagree with that. To be completely honest I haven't looked at it in a transition perspective. As in someone that's used to full ICE going to anything that isn't. Sacrificing mileage of say, 450km on average and going to a full EV that is 250km range.

That's definitely where the plug-in will shine.

I've recently seen someone in a leaf hit 1000 miles only on 5 gallons of gasoline or something or the other.

Obviously extensive charging but I mean, it's truly a step forward

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
my i20 I average 500-550 miles (800+km) per tank of petrol

dropping from that to 125-150 miles per charge is a no go for me, as my commute to the office (drive up on Tuesday return Thursday) is 195 miles each way or 280 miles to get to our furthest client

so as you can see even if I managed to persuade my boss to install a charge point at the office it is still a difficult way to go, especially as the range drops due to aging on the batteries

if you are doing short runs 20-50 miles each way a day it would work, but I think the Ioniq is aimed further up the tree than short commutes due to its size and equipment, so to me the EV version currently makes no sense with its current range

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ouch so you definitely can't work with the EV then.

But true is does drop with aging and apparently temperatures as well ?

I guess hybrid would be the way to go for longevity

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Ioniq EV would definitely lose to the Model 3 simply because one has a 200+ range while the other has way less and won't reassure people with range anxiety. But overall, if you take into account the two hybrids, Ioniq will sell more.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the hybrid is what we're going to be looking at when making comparisons.. good to know. Overall sales should be rather interesting then too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts