Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a message asking me if I want to tune to a traffic channel when as far as I understand I'm already on a channel where the traffic announcements should cut in. If I ok the message it switches me to the traffic channel which may or may not have traffic on it. It doesn't switch back.

Is this the correct operation? Is there some setup I haven't performed yet? Or is it my out-of-date firmware? All other cars I've had switch effortlessly to traffic and back again without any manual intervention.....

:confused:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Im guessing you are enjoying your DAB radio :)...tuning to a traffic channel changes it to the FM version I believe....not sure why but mine gave up asking me in the end?

They cut the TA stuff from the DAB stream years ago (government stopped funding it for the 2 DAB radio cars on the road at the time as not worth the cost) so TA is only available on FM

To be honest with the satnav you dont really need it...my previous car I always had the TA on and used TomTom Go and to be honest the TA just kept annoying me with lots of stuff for roads I didnt care about and the TomTom was telling me what to avoid anyhow so although i had it on I found it added little/no value. On occasion it would be useful when there was some horrific delay on the M25 but to be honest you will notice that on the satnav as things get worse and can go hunting down the traffic news at that point.....at least thats what I do nowadays. That way I can enjoy the wonderful music quality from the stereo with interruptions...now if only they would get rid of al those speed cameras so I dont need that chime too :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand TA might only come through on FM, but on my Focus (which I still have) I can be listening on a DAB channel and the traffic report will automatically come through on a different channel (FM I presume) then switch back to the original DAB channel.

The Ioniq media unit seems to want me to change manually to the traffic channel, and doesn't put me back to the original DAB channel when the report is finished. This seems an inferior system to me...

Perhaps my understanding is wrong but, perhaps like Jon Snow, I know nothing...

·
Registered
725 Posts
I understand TA might only come through on FM, but on my Focus (which I still have) I can be listening on a DAB channel and the traffic report will automatically come through on a different channel (FM I presume) then switch back to the original DAB channel.

The Ioniq media unit seems to want me to change manually to the traffic channel, and doesn't put me back to the original DAB channel when the report is finished. This seems an inferior system to me...

Perhaps my understanding is wrong but, perhaps like Jon Snow, I know nothing...
No, I think your understanding is correct as that is what I found and now cant be bothered with it, having long since given up getting any more useful info from it over and above the satnav....this just pushed me to finally accepting that and enjoying my music more :)

I didnt look too hard and havent had an issue without it either.....

·
Registered
725 Posts
I get a message asking me if I want to tune to a traffic channel when as far as I understand I'm already on a channel where the traffic announcements should cut in. If I ok the message it switches me to the traffic channel which may or may not have traffic on it. It doesn't switch back.

Is this the correct operation? Is there some setup I haven't performed yet? Or is it my out-of-date firmware? All other cars I've had switch effortlessly to traffic and back again without any manual intervention.....

:confused:
Ok so I havent got to the bottom of this yet but last night the satnav was trying to route me off the M25 becasue of traffic/accident. In the end it cleared and put m back on my original route before i got to the junction it wanted me to come off at.

Anyways in the meantime I turned TA on and had the usual do you want to tune to a traffic channel that I did a few times and in the end put the car on an FM channel and did a scan around...part of this was me actually working out what the radio did other than the few DAB channels I programmed as faves and use :)

Anyway I dont know exactly what I did in all that (I am guessing the scanning FM channels but whatever happened I was listening to USB music files with TA turned on and later on the radio was actually cuttting in with proper TA announcements. I think it may even have done this on DAB!!!

So this may be one for the forum to try and fathom out....i will check it out again when driving next but the times I drive dont always have lots of traffic announcements!

·
Registered
776 Posts
TA works fine during mediaplay over USB. But when you have DAB+ radio on it does' t switch by itsself. It asks if you want to switch to a TA channel and if you do, it wont return to DAB. Again this is one of the annoying FUP anomalies in the IonIQ i.e result of deficient test strategies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TA works fine during mediaplay over USB. But when you have DAB+ radio on it does' t switch by itsself. It asks if you want to switch to a TA channel and if you do, it wont return to DAB. Again this is one of the annoying FUP anomalies in the IonIQ i.e result of deficient test strategies.
Yes, this is really annoying - even the Mondeo I had 7 years ago perform the DAB/TA switching properly. You would think that any motor manufacturer with advanced tech would not have slipped up with this one!

·
Registered
725 Posts
To be honest thus far I have found the satnav to do the right thing and all the TA announcements to be the more annoying in themselves :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
And as for that do you want to switch to a TA channel I think you are reading it wrong. I think that TA = Totally Awful because I tune my radio to a channel I want to hear, its asks me that and I say yes and I go to some horrible channel and no traffic info at that time. I couldnt bear to stay on the channel long enough to see if any traffic info came on

·
Registered
776 Posts
TA is a handy feature without having live traffic update on your satnav. It should work on DAB too. Eventually when FM is phased out in Holland TA will likely be transferred to DAB.. At that point i'm afraid it will not work either in the Ioniq, due to this rather sloppy software bug. A car in this quality class for a price of more than 30K should be prepared for the future.
It works in every other car except Ioniq. Shame on you Hyundai. Trust someone of the dev team at Hyundai will read this and fix it by a software update.

·
Registered
725 Posts
TA is a handy feature without having live traffic update on your satnav. It should work on DAB too. Eventually when FM is phased out in Holland TA will likely be transferred to DAB.. At that point i'm afraid it will not work either in the Ioniq, due to this rather sloppy software bug. A car in this quality class for a price of more than 30K should be prepared for the future.
It works in every other car except Ioniq. Shame on you Hyundai. Trust someone of the dev team at Hyundai will read this and fix it by a software update.

I think the issue here is that there is no dab equivalent of TA (certainly in the UK) and the problem is between switching from dab to FM and not doing the job well. It may well be different with TA on dab but I guess we will have to wait and see. Or find somewhere with TA on dab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only twice I did receive a propper TA switch from USB music to a FM station with traffic information. Our Ioniq Hybrid is a "First Edition". I like to learn if any Ioniq user can confirm that this function is working in a predictable way. My Hyundai service man tells me that he can not fix it or tell me how to work with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts