Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Switching to 17x8 tires

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  VizeIoniq 
#1 ·
Hello. I am considering a switch to 17x8 225/45 tires. I currently have the wimpy 15x6 195/65 tires and they are squealing whenever I try to take a turn at high speeds. I am looking to upgrade my suspension as well. I know I need to get spigot rings, I will figure that out when I buy the rims. Is there anything else I need to consider? Thanks.

#4 ·
Hey Steel,

Haha, you're right, its no sports car ^^ I am 23 and just started driving 4 years ago. I also just got my first full time job in January, along with my stimulus checks in march so I wanted to get a new car for myself. I was driving a 2001 Toyota before this, then I noticed how cheap these Ioniq's were, test drove one and then financed it used with 50k miles for about $15,000.

I am getting bored of playing the MPG game, and I usually drive it fairly aggressive now and average just 50-54 mpg instead of 60 (still incredible by average car standards). The Ioniq its the fastest car I've ever owned. I've obviously been in faster cars but never been able to drive them, so to me the Ioniq feels pretty sporty. I'm not going to do a bunch of mods to it, I just have the poopy 15 inch rims with wheel covers on them/eco tires and wish I had some nicer looking rims. I have lots of friends with tricked out cars that I think look sweet, and I just want mine to look better. Also sometimes when I'm on an exit ramp the tires squeal when I take a turn (fast) and that irritates me. Switching to bigger rims would mitigate that.

Long story short, I - like most people - purchased what I could afford at the time, and while it would be great to have the money to buy a BMW, am now stuck with the Ioniq. Its a fantastic car, but I just want the wheels to look nicer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.