Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2nd 2019 Ioniq PVEV because my wife wanted the safety features her 2013 Prius did not have. This 2nd car came with features I don't need including a cargo net. I would like to transfer the cargo net to the other Ioniq - the two knockout holes are already there and covered with blank plugs. The new one has the cargo net adapters in the two knockout holes. (See photos) I priced the two cargo net adapters at $24 each so I'd rather just switch the blanks and the cargo net adapters between the two cars. I have not been successful in finding out if they just pop out with a flat blade screwdriver, have to be twisted to a certain position before being removed or any other details. Has anyone had any experience with installing the fasteners for a cargo net? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Auto part Technology Wheel Electronic device Helmet Rim Car

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,354 Posts
Arggh, I installed my net myself but I don't remember. The instructions were on a sheet of paper that I don't have anymore, and never thought to scan. :(

I vaguely recall using a socket wrench to put the hooks in. Likely the plastic hooks were machine threaded onto a metal self tapping screw underneath that I used the wrench to install. Those screws probably went into holes in the body that the original plastic plugs were pressed into. If so, just a flat bladed screw driver should get them out. I know I didn't use anything specialized.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Arggh, I installed my net myself but I don't remember. The instructions were on a sheet of paper that I don't have anymore, and never thought to scan. :(

I vaguely recall using a socket wrench to put the hooks in. Likely the plastic hooks were machine threaded onto a metal self tapping screw underneath that I used the wrench to install. Those screws probably went into holes in the body that the original plastic plugs were pressed into. If so, just a flat bladed screw driver should get them out. I know I didn't use anything specialized.
Thanks for sharing your experience. My other solution might be to drive small vinyl coated metal screw hooks into the blanks to hold the cargo net or maybe find a hook mounted on a flat base that could be glued to the blanks. This way the net could be used on either car.

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
249 Posts
The blanking plugs are usually a plastic mushroom type with serrated edges that just push into a threaded hole, so screwdriver under the edge to pop out the plug then screw in your cargo net fasteners,

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blanking plugs are usually a plastic mushroom type with serrated edges that just push into a threaded hole, so screwdriver under the edge to pop out the plug then screw in your cargo net fasteners,
[/QUOTE
Thanks, Ayesha. I appreciate your input. I figured as much - but I'm more concerned about popping out the hooks out of the new one to transfer to the old one. Kevin T said there may be metal self-tapping screws on the hook plugs since he bought and installed them a while ago. I'm leaning toward attaching a small regular hook to the blanks maybe either a screw-in cup hook as pictured or even better, a small hook on a round or square base that could be glued to the blanks. Then both cars could share the cargo net as needed.
Silver Metal

·
Registered
1 Posts

hello kevin im trying to find where i can actually purchase one of the mushroom gromets for the cargo net for me 2020 ioniq .. any ideas or a link would be awesome ..thanks so much in advance

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hello kevin im trying to find where i can actually purchase one of the mushroom gromets for the cargo net for me 2020 ioniq .. any ideas or a link would be awesome ..thanks so much in advance
They were available for order at my dealer. $24 for two grommets is a real "rip off" in my opinion.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
453 Posts
Sounds like something I'd 3D print in black ABS. Got any pics/dimensions? Happy to give it a go!
I already make cargo net clips for Chevy Volt Mk1, maybe these are similar? My Ioniq 38 2019 has a spring-loaded roller-blind thing, so I don't think I have these clips in mine. Any pics anywhere for me to look at?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like something I'd 3D print in black ABS. Got any pics/dimensions? Happy to give it a go!
I already make cargo net clips for Chevy Volt Mk1, maybe these are similar? My Ioniq 38 2019 has a spring-loaded roller-blind thing, so I don't think I have these clips in mine. Any pics anywhere for me to look at?
Photos are shown in this thread.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You're right! I should pay attention more!!
Have just removed my blanking plug, 18mm dia cap, here's a pic of it. Just one of those standard clips designed to not come out easily! It locates in a punched hole in the metal bodywork that's 5.2mm dia. No threaded insert or anything. I'd have thought any net-clip with just a 5mm dia plastic gripper-shaft like the blanking plug would be likely to snap off, or come loose rather easily.

·
Registered
453 Posts
KevinT's description sounds very likely to me. I can imagine something like a thin hexagon nut, but with 2 steel 6mm dia self-tapping threads sticking out from each side. He'd have used a socket to drive one of these into the bodywork until tight, leaving the other thread sticking out, ready for the mushroom-shaped cap to be screwed on by hand. That would stay put properly.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've been looking for something like a double-ended screw, with a hexagon flange in the middle, or any other gadget to grip this hole without damaging it. Can't find anything small enough. Closest seems to be one of those cavity anchor screws, which expand behind a hole through say thin hardboard and trap a nut just behind, but nothing that's small enough to go through 5mm hole.

Making the mushroom-shaped bit is not a problem, but this needs something substantial to grab hold of. Maybe there's a way to get into the cavity from behind, which would allow putting a M5 screw through from behind? That would solve the problem. I'll take a look tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here's the original clip, closeup, and my first go a modelling the top section of it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
No. Problem is how to attach the bit modelled so far, tbh I don't have any free time to give to solving the fixing problem. It's completely slipped out of my memory! Currently working on a battery booster system to avoid the 12V vampire problems. Happy to send you an STL of the bit I've done so far if you like. You can incorporate that into a larger model maybe? I use OpenSCAD (free) & I can adapt existing STLs, so you're welcome to have a go! Msg me if interested.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,354 Posts
I can't recall if I posted the pictures of mine or not before (I remember taking them), but I'm sitting in the car now killing time so just took some new ones. Here's what they look like, and how they attach:

If it's a true swap, you should just be able to unthread the self-tapping studs with a wrench or socket, put them in the other car, then put the caps from their new home into the holes in the donor car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2nd 2019 Ioniq PVEV because my wife wanted the safety features her 2013 Prius did not have. This 2nd car came with features I don't need including a cargo net. I would like to transfer the cargo net to the other Ioniq - the two knockout holes are already there and covered with blank plugs. The new one has the cargo net adapters in the two knockout holes. (See photos) I priced the two cargo net adapters at $24 each so I'd rather just switch the blanks and the cargo net adapters between the two cars. I have not been successful in finding out if they just pop out with a flat blade screwdriver, have to be twisted to a certain position before being removed or any other details. Has anyone had any experience with installing the fasteners for a cargo net? Thanks for any help you can provide.
View attachment 32505 View attachment 32506
I'd be eternally grateful if you shared a link to where you even found the envelope cargo net adapters for $24 each. I cannot find ANYTHING online, even on various sites for hyundai parts.

·
Registered
453 Posts
crissyoi, £24 per small bit of plastic is a total ripoff. If you can get, or already have in place, that threaded nut sticking out that KevinT's posted a pic of, then I can make you the mushroom-shaped pieces to go on that. I'm sure Kevin can tell me whether it's M5 or M6 nut in the pic. Or maybe it's smaller M4?

As you'll be my first-ever customer for this item, and there may be delays if the first set doesn't fit/whatever & I have to adjust & send you another, there will be no charge for these. Then I'll sell these on eBay alongside the Ampera Trunk Net Clips for £8 in UK. Dunno what price will be in USA but probably around $15-£20 by the time you add state tax & currency-conversion costs & interrnational postage! Same as the Ampera clips anyway.

@KevinT, do you have a pic & size of the entire bolt/whatever it is that's being held on with thin nut? That wouild let me source a similar item to put in the kit. If you can let me know the threaded length exactly, I can use the above pic to work out what the thickness of material & bodywork is.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,354 Posts
@KevinT, do you have a pic & size of the entire bolt/whatever it is that's being held on with thin nut? That wouild let me source a similar item to put in the kit. If you can let me know the threaded length exactly, I can use the above pic to work out what the thickness of material & bodywork is.
I went out and took some measurements, the 'bolt' you can see in my previous photo is the machine threaded end of a double ended stud. It's M6 with a sheet metal thread on the part secured into the car, a flange in the middle, and an M6 x 10 mm machine threaded end with a 3 mm thick nut on it. The trefoil mushroom cap holding the cargo net threads on to it to hide the whole thing. I checked a few online automotive fastener places and can't find anything like it, so here's my fine MS-Paint interpretation:
Rectangle Font Circuit component Slope Parallel

Unfortunately there's no way to remove these studs from the car once they're threaded in. The nut's run down until jammed against the flange, and when I installed it I used a 10 mm socket on that nut to drive the assembly into the sheet metal. (There's a hole for it already that's blocked by a plastic cap which you pry out first with a flat bladed screw driver.) Attempting to remove the thing with the 10 mm socket just loosens the nut off, and even with vice grips I couldn't get a good enough hold of the flange to remove the stud for a photo. I could have grabbed the machine threads with a vice grip, but I was afraid I'd wreck them and not be able to put it back together, so MS-Paint is what you get. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts