Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2nd 2019 Ioniq PVEV because my wife wanted the safety features her 2013 Prius did not have. This 2nd car came with features I don't need including a cargo net. I would like to transfer the cargo net to the other Ioniq - the two knockout holes are already there and covered with blank plugs. The new one has the cargo net adapters in the two knockout holes. (See photos) I priced the two cargo net adapters at $24 each so I'd rather just switch the blanks and the cargo net adapters between the two cars. I have not been successful in finding out if they just pop out with a flat blade screwdriver, have to be twisted to a certain position before being removed or any other details. Has anyone had any experience with installing the fasteners for a cargo net? Thanks for any help you can provide.
IMG_20200802_080730.jpg IMG_20200802_080530.jpg

·
Registered
636 Posts
Arggh, I installed my net myself but I don't remember. The instructions were on a sheet of paper that I don't have anymore, and never thought to scan. :(

I vaguely recall using a socket wrench to put the hooks in. Likely the plastic hooks were machine threaded onto a metal self tapping screw underneath that I used the wrench to install. Those screws probably went into holes in the body that the original plastic plugs were pressed into. If so, just a flat bladed screw driver should get them out. I know I didn't use anything specialized.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arggh, I installed my net myself but I don't remember. The instructions were on a sheet of paper that I don't have anymore, and never thought to scan. :(

I vaguely recall using a socket wrench to put the hooks in. Likely the plastic hooks were machine threaded onto a metal self tapping screw underneath that I used the wrench to install. Those screws probably went into holes in the body that the original plastic plugs were pressed into. If so, just a flat bladed screw driver should get them out. I know I didn't use anything specialized.
Thanks for sharing your experience. My other solution might be to drive small vinyl coated metal screw hooks into the blanks to hold the cargo net or maybe find a hook mounted on a flat base that could be glued to the blanks. This way the net could be used on either car.

·
Registered
Iconiq plug in. 2019
54 Posts
The blanking plugs are usually a plastic mushroom type with serrated edges that just push into a threaded hole, so screwdriver under the edge to pop out the plug then screw in your cargo net fasteners,

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blanking plugs are usually a plastic mushroom type with serrated edges that just push into a threaded hole, so screwdriver under the edge to pop out the plug then screw in your cargo net fasteners,
[/QUOTE
Thanks, Ayesha. I appreciate your input. I figured as much - but I'm more concerned about popping out the hooks out of the new one to transfer to the old one. Kevin T said there may be metal self-tapping screws on the hook plugs since he bought and installed them a while ago. I'm leaning toward attaching a small regular hook to the blanks maybe either a screw-in cup hook as pictured or even better, a small hook on a round or square base that could be glued to the blanks. Then both cars could share the cargo net as needed.
cup hook.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts