Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Firey Red
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally got the chance to take the car out for a holiday road trip around the south west. The car performed very well. Comfortable for the long drives on the nice rough highways. Had ample space for the three of us and our luggage. I dare say 4 would have been a squeeze but we did have the cargo flap pulled so could have fitted in more crap but had our esky and food stuffs on the back seat.

At no time were we in trouble for range between stations and the 'slow' fast charging speed was not an issue because the car would always finish before my 5 year old and partner were ready to depart. Someone could have done the trip must fast than us as we topped up above the 74% mark where the rate does slow quite a bit even when we didnt need to to get to the next stop.

We did not baby the car either and kept to the hwy speed limit of 110km/h where appropriate. I had to do one overtake that needed some extra speed and even with a full load had no problems making the pass. In no way did she feel sluggish.

First day down to Albany for 490km was a breeze. The only issue would have been if the Kojanup charger was not working. (the 38min stop below). Had a slight headwind so our consumption was a whooping 156!

Our longest stint of 216km between Denmark and Pemberton still had 30% in the tank. Very happy with that. Was a reasonably slow drive through the forest and I did not push the car here.

Charging overnight on the granny charger did the job. I did set it lower than 10A at on occasion to not draw too much over what was not a dedicated EV charging circuit.

The first 2 chargers here were to prep to 100% before departure.

The only problem was the return of the bearing noise on our new motor half way through.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
41 Posts
Great info. I haven't done more than about 400km in one go yet but reading your story certainly boosts confidence that a proper road trip will be no problem. I've been looking at Brisbane to Townsville later in the year. This one is all highway anyway so looks pretty straightforward but will still need just a little forethought.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mooch. A Better Route Planner and Plugshare, for places to stay with chargers, definitely helped along with limiting distances between chargers to 250km. We could have pushed further and driven slower but sitting a little above the speed limit is a hard habit to break. :sneaky:
Some other notes
SCC did not work a lot of the time when roads only had the centre line and I was still very comfortable driving. I did not switch to normal CC.
Bit nervous to rely on Tesla destination chargers when no vehicles other than Tesla had checked in. I made sure I added on Plugshare all the charging stops except the one hotel who let us use a normal socket in their staff garage. 2 out of 2 teslas chargers worked which was very good.
We took along a puncture repair kit, the plug type, as we had a screw in our second car 2 weeks before we left and the tyre shop repaired in in this manner. Also took along a 12V tyre inflator as the repair kit included is kind of one shot. Not sure what we would have done if we got a flat that needed replacing way down south how long we would have had to wait for comparable tires. The OEM are not available in Australia as far as I can tell.
A better route planner was pretty spot on with charge remaining if you adjusted the settings for weight and speed.
I also took a Belong sim card, that is on the Telstra wholesale network not the main one, and it didnt work any better than my Optus sim. In fact when I tried to use it in Kojanup the Charge Fox app would not connect to enable the charger! Next time I am going to make sure i have the RFID card just in case but the Optus network was fine in all places we needed it.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
960 Posts
Also took along a 12V tyre inflator as the repair kit included is kind of one shot.
The hose in the repair kit's inflator can be connected directly to the pump without the can of goop in between. I've used mine that way for seasonal top ups on many occasions and it's still working great.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hose in the repair kit's inflator can be connected directly to the pump without the can of goop in between. I've used mine that way for seasonal top ups on many occasions and it's still working great.
Thanks for the info Ill have to check out the kit in more detail

1 - 6 of 6 Posts