Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020, ioniq Premium SE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I've finally made the decision to take the plunge and get an ioniq hybrid premium se!
My dealer has one in fluidic metal with the sunroof, or I can get in most other colours without.

I'm debating whether to go for the sunroof or not....
If you have one what are your experiences?
Does it brighten the canin much?
I've heard issues with noise and/or dirt collection... Have you found this?
Does it effect cabin noise?
Does the cover work easily?
Is headroom effected much?

Would be really interested to know, as I've never had a sunroof before and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra..

I have heard they can have leaks later down the line, so don't want to cause myself future problems...

Thanks in advance! Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
179 Posts
You have answered most of your questions yourself, yes they reduce headroom, yes your will have more noise, they add weight, won’t be used much in our climate, often leak as the seals dry out and the drains get blocked, and really unnecessary with the good climate control on the car IMO

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Preferred PEHV White
3 Posts
I bought a 2020 PHEV without the sunroof. I have never liked the sunroof option because its too noisy. I hate the dirty air blowing in the car and because I'm almost bald I get a sunburnt head if I drive with it open. Like Ayesha said it has a great climate control system so who needs it.

·
Registered
2020, ioniq Premium SE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for feedback so far.
I'm hoping to be able to camp out some nights in my ioniq, and I think the romantic side of me thought it would be cool to look up at the stars or let a bit extra light in etc. Or poke our head out lol
Dissapointing re the noise etc, I was hoping it would not be too much extra tbh

Thanks for feedback... Debating whether it's worth the extra now. I was quite excited he had one tbh, as another dealer said I would have to do a factory order taking 3/4 months to add one

·
Registered
2020 PHEV Phantom Black Preferred
51 Posts
Had sun roof on my old Toyota Matrix (2004, but from a friend) but never bought cars that had this option later on.
Never regret it.

For me : another mechanism that can break and a hole that could leak... Cute but not practical...

Reactions: andersmo

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq PHEV Limited
47 Posts
Yes to most of those negatives. However, even though we hardly ever open the sunroof, we love how much brighter it makes the cabin with just the shade pulled open. Also, since we keep it closed nearly all the time, it doesn't add any wind noise. For the US PHEV, it was part of the Limited trim package I wanted for other reasons, so we got the sunroof whether we wanted it or not. However, we had a 2013 Elantra last year, and the 7-year old sunroof had no issues. Sure, we might have to pay a few hundred dollars for a repair in the distant future, but that's after many years of bright, joyful riding in the sun! I wouldn't make it a deal-breaker in your decision.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,026 Posts
My Ioniq is the second Hyundai I've owned with a sunroof, and the sixth in the family. We've never had a problem and appreciate the extra light, though we rarely ever fully retract the glass. It's good to ventilate the car in the late spring and early fall time frame too by just popping the back of it up instead of turning on the a/c.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
469 Posts
The cabin isn’t dark without it, and the climate control keeps things cool without the need to reduce the available headroom.

About 25 years ago I ordered my new company car with the free offer from Vauxhall, for large fleets, to swap the sunroof for A/C on my two litre, petrol, automatic Vectra, and I’ve actively avoided them ever since.

Look at it this way, as soon as you leave the dealership, the roof adds nothing to the value of your car secondhand.

·
Registered
2020 Premium Electric
65 Posts
I think this is the first car I've owned in Australia with a sunroof. The cover is snug on mine so no light sneaking through and no rattles. Driving with the sunroof open is OK - I tend not to do it on sunny days but it's nice to get some 'fresh' air on an overcast day. Of course there is some wind noise but I don't find it too much. I've only had the car a couple of months so cannot comment on degradation of seals or whatever. I've probably had the roof open 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
424 Posts
In the early eighties, I had a car with a sunroof, and I found it to be a real nuisance. Not only was it noisy and leaky, collected dirt, and reduced headroom. It was also useless in bright and sunny weather, since it would let the sun shine straight into my eyes.

In those days, air condition was an option that would only cost a little more than a sunroof. So my next car had air condition but no sunroof, and I've never looked back.

The only reason for me to buy a car with a sunroof today would be if they gave me a huge discount, so that it would be very much cheaper with a sunroof than without. I don't think that would be very likely, though.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric Premium SE
7 Posts
Hi, I have the premium SE with the sunroof. The premium SE I test drove did not have the sunroof, so I can make a reasonable comparison.
It adds a nice option for letting in more light or not (by keeping the shade shut)
It allows a nice fresh air flow either in the tilt or open position, when or if required.
It operates very easily.
I don’t think it adds any noticeable wind noise. (The most noise comes from the tyres)
It doesn’t notably decrease headroom. I’m just under 6 ft and have about 5” above my head.
With all the technology aboard - why worry about a sunroof going wrong? Is it any more likely to go wrong than an electric window? Likewise, are the rubber seals more likely to cause a problem than any of the other seals on the car? - I don’t think so.

Finally, in other makes of cars I have owned with sunroofs, I have not come across the problems which have been suggested here... and the build quality of the Ioniq in my opinion is better than most.

Im really happy with the sunroof option, so I would say don’t be put off or concerned - just enjoy.

·
Registered
Ioniq Hybrid 2020 Preferred
53 Posts
Totally YAY for me. Always wanted a car with a sunroof and I loved. I always keep the shade open, so you get extra light and makes the car looking a lot roomier.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Hybrid Limited Ceramic White
35 Posts
As sunroofs go, the Ioniq’s is small, but I enjoy having it. My prior car was a Hyundai Santa Fe that I bought new and drove for 13 years. I never had any problems with leaking or malfunctions with the sunroof. I can only assume that this will continue to be the case with the Ioniq.

In the US the sunroof isn’t a separate option, but comes with a package of other options so I didn’t specifically choose to have a sunroof, but on balance I like it.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
For another negative, there is a safety problem. A good number of reports exist of people being ejected through sunroofs, especially in rollovers. Seems a bit crazy and likely connected to non-use of seatbelts (like other car ejections) but significant enough that US agencies are studying it for possible regulation.

Personally the other downsides of sunroofs, actual and potential, are enough to dissuade me from specifically chasing such an option. Cars with really large window panes on the roof a la Tesla come with enough complaints of discomfort to discourage my owning such a car. And picturing the loss of roof integrity and strength in a rollover (I rolled a car once at 75 mph and walked away) is intimidating.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Here in Sweden, the sunroof is not included in any of the readily available trims. You'll have to order it separately as a factory installed option for 8,900 SEK, which will most likely mean that you'll have to wait for your car for at least six months. I don't think they will import any cars with a sunroof, unless a customer specifically orders it.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,026 Posts
Here in Sweden, the sunroof is not included in any of the readily available trims. You'll have to order it separately as a factory installed option for 8,900 SEK, which will most likely mean that you'll have to wait for your car for at least six months. I don't think they will import any cars with a sunroof, unless a customer specifically orders it.
Wow, and that price no one ever will.

·
Registered
2020, ioniq Premium SE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahhh.... I'm so indecisive now... It will be on lease so long term issues not as much of an issue. I think I just love the idea though tbh... I may see if there's any more haggle rom with the car. There's a black premium se I could also have which I slightly prefer the colour. Fluidic metal is the one with sunroof, which looks bada§§ in my opinion, but fluidic metal is also cool... Doesn't seem quite as 'me' somehow though..
I'm planning on sleeping in the car on occasion, which I feel like the idea of looking up at the start or semi convertible on a jot day would be nice...

Safety issues worth baring in mind... So sorry about your accident but glad you recovered!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wow, and that price no one ever will.
Actually, I know of one Swedish member who did order his car with a sunroof, as well as everything else to his own specifications. It took him ten months to get his car, though.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts