Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2017 hybrid sel. I have approx 51,000 miles on it. And over the course of the past few fill ups, my mileage has tanked.

In the summer I would typically get 55-60mpg. On my annual trip from pa to fl, I would get 58-60.

This last trip, I was at 41mpg!!

Over the past few months my mileage has started to drop. Going from 58 down to 50. I did get new eco tires and attributed a small decline from that, but the mileage keeps going down!
Tires are at 42psi, clean air filter, mobile one oil changes and routinely run Chevron techron cleaner.

I can for the life of me figure out why my mileage has sank more than the winter time! Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
When was your last inspection? It could be bad wheel bearings or a sticky brake caliper. The car would probably tell you if it had poor combustion or something wrong with the hybrid system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When was your last inspection? It could be bad wheel bearings or a sticky brake caliper. The car would probably tell you if it had poor combustion or something wrong with the hybrid system.
When I changed the tires I did check the brakes which were good, no drag and no wobble or bad bearings.

It's just odd that's it's starting to decline. I don't have any software updates either.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to hear that, looks like something isn't right for sure.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The graph doesn't indicate any particular anomalous results, except for the most recent 2 or 3 fillups. Summer is above average, winter below, fairly similar patterns.

I would be looking at things such as whether your oil level is correct, and it is also the correct (same) oil and viscosity used, because in the past I suffered poorer than expected MPG from slightly overfilled levels, and from a slightly more viscous grade of oil.

I would also consider factors such as weather. I know that this year I have resorted to using the AC much more than usual because it has been considerably hotter and more humid this summer than previously. While the AC on a moderate temperature setting such as 72 degrees and low fan (two or three blobs) doesn't hurt MPG that much, lower temperature settings and higher fan speeds can stop the car from entering or sustaining EV mode.

Also, sitting stationary while running the AC can create a big hit to fuel economy.

Since you're running slightly high tyre pressures it is unlikely to be that (slightly low pressure, even on one tyre, can hurt MPG notably), but lots of small things, such as extra weight or slightly heavier-footed driving can have significant impact on fuel efficiency.

I'd try an experiment: If you normally use cruise control, turn it off and drive without. If you don't use it, turn it on and try it - see if your MPG changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a 2017 hybrid sel. I have approx 51,000 miles on it. And over the course of the past few fill ups, my mileage has tanked.

In the summer I would typically get 55-60mpg. On my annual trip from pa to fl, I would get 58-60.

This last trip, I was at 41mpg!!

Over the past few months my mileage has started to drop. Going from 58 down to 50. I did get new eco tires and attributed a small decline from that, but the mileage keeps going down!
Tires are at 42psi, clean air filter, mobile one oil changes and routinely run Chevron techron cleaner.

I can for the life of me figure out why my mileage has sank more than the winter time! Any thoughts?
We had the exact same problem, and it turned out that the plastic shield below the radiator had been pulled down, probably from scraping against something. It basically turned it into an air scoop. Mileage dropped suddenly from 55 mpg to 44 mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts