Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through the manual and done a search online but cannot find an explanation as to what the charge gauge above the current range actually indicates.

The gauge is the one from 0-0.5in miles and I assume when it is full you have generated that amount of range.

when the meter is full does your vehicle keep recharging

does it take a fixed power rate as 0.5m or is it based upon your current m/kWh?

It is probably a bit ocd but then again I am that way!!!

thanks

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
452 Posts
Yes, I wondered the same thing when I first got my car.

The gauge gives some estimation of how far you can drive on the charge provided by your last regeneration (braking, slowing down). That reading is very volatile. I have yet to find any practical use for it, and it does not limit how much energy you can put back into the traction battery.

I have no idea how that distance is calculated.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I wondered the same thing when I first got my car.

The gauge gives some estimation of how far you can drive on the charge provided by your last regeneration (braking, slowing down). That reading is very volatile. I have yet to find any practical use for it, and it does not limit how much energy you can put back into the traction battery.

I have no idea how that distance is calculated.
thanks. I read on a forum that at a certain battery percentage regen isn’t available and saw a message to that effect once but cannot remember where it popped up.

sometimes when regenning I get an increase in battery percentage as well and increased miles..

The manual is disappointingly silent about this feature and doesn’t even mention the gauge from what I can see.

I had thought it was just a capacitor or like that charged up andon’t the battery. However the closest I have come to being an electrical engineer is wiring a plug 😂

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have looked through the manual and done a search online but cannot find an explanation as to what the charge gauge above the current range actually indicates.

The gauge is the one from 0-0.5in miles and I assume when it is full you have generated that amount of range.

when the meter is full does your vehicle keep recharging

does it take a fixed power rate as 0.5m or is it based upon your current m/kWh?

It is probably a bit ocd but then again I am that way!!!

thanks
Can you send a picture of what exactly you mean? :D

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you send a picture of what exactly you mean? :D
the bar from 0 to 0.5 above the range indicator. It fills up when you are using regenerative braking but it isn’t even mentioned in the manual.

Probably it is so obvious that they didn’t bother!!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 EV
6 Posts
As you mentioned its just an indication of how much regen you are getting, as soon as you press the go-pedal again the measure immediately disappears as its put to use powering the motor. I’ve only ever seen the reading go up to a maximum of around half-way.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? I see mine hit the max regularly. Mind you I drive over a high bridge most days and regen about 1.5km on the way down the other side.
I regularly fill the meter but everyone has a different driving style and commute.

My commute has several downhill sections ending in a junction or roundabout where you are forced to come to a full stop; which is perfect for regen.

On the flip side you have to get to the top of those hills and it kills your m/kWh..

·
Registered
Ioniq EV Premium SE 38.3kWh
49 Posts
Yes, very odd that is never mentioned in the manual. Having sad that there is a lot in there that hasn't been converted from the pre facelift version very well. All that keyfob schenanegans to open the boot, sound the horn etc never made it past the facelift.

Quite like the "regen boost" gauge myself, it's an entertaining game to play, try slowing the car to a perfect stop at each junction without braking or resetting the gauge by applying power. Auto regen setting works well in that case.

Not that I wouldn't swap it for a battery percentage display without having to call it up on the infotainment screen, but that's just me I guess.

I too can get the gauge full most times I slow or stop the car. I assume the full/0.5Mile figure is just a guide and regen continues beyond that point? Certainly feels like it does.

Reactions: Mooch

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, very odd that is never mentioned in the manual. Having sad that there is a lot in there that hasn't been converted from the pre facelift version very well. All that keyfob schenanegans to open the boot, sound the horn etc never made it past the facelift.

Quite like the "regen boost" gauge myself, it's an entertaining game to play, try slowing the car to a perfect stop at each junction without braking or resetting the gauge by applying power. Auto regen setting works well in that case.

Not that I wouldn't swap it for a battery percentage display without having to call it up on the infotainment screen, but that's just me I guess.

I too can get the gauge full most times I slow or stop the car. I assume the full/0.5Mile figure is just a guide and regen continues beyond that point? Certainly feels like it does.
what key fob shenanigans?!

·
Registered
49 Posts
what key fob shenanigans?!
In the manual it says you can enable and disable a beep from the alarm when locking or unlocking the car, and enable or disable a beep from the horn if the lock button is pressed twice. I assume that this was a feature of the previous model.

Also as mentioned elsewhere the boot open button on the fob doesn't pop the boot lid, just flashes the lights (I assume it unlocks the boot at this point for someone who has a fob in order to unlock it but doesn't want to carry the fob to the car so that the keyless entry let's them open the boot anyway???)

·
Registered
918 Posts
In the manual it says you can enable and disable a beep from the alarm when locking or unlocking the car, and enable or disable a beep from the horn if the lock button is pressed twice. I assume that this was a feature of the previous model.

Also as mentioned elsewhere the boot open button on the fob doesn't pop the boot lid, just flashes the lights (I assume it unlocks the boot at this point for someone who has a fob in order to unlock it but doesn't want to carry the fob to the car so that the keyless entry let's them open the boot anyway???)
The boot unlock button on the remote does exactly that. It unlocks the boot so that anyone without the key fob on them, and thus no proximity operation, can open the boot. The boot does not pop up/auto open, and if unlocked with the key fob will automatically re-lock after a set period, also when the boot is closed it will automatically lock. All good safety procedures IMHO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The boot unlock button on the remote does exactly that. It unlocks the boot so that anyone without the key fob on them, and thus no proximity operation, can open the boot. The boot does not pop up/auto open, and if unlocked with the key fob will automatically re-lock after a set period, also when the boot is closed it will automatically lock. All good safety procedures IMHO.
Oh I agree entirely. Just one thing, since you have to be a few yards away from the car to unlock the boot with the fob, you night as well walk over and unlock it with the handle, or give the fob to the person opening it. But maybe I'm thinking too simply...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts