Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
We decided to test again on a 120 mile road trip today. After charging fully it said we had a 140 mile range. I assumed that was with Climate off. So I put on my wool socks, the family had blankets and we headed out. So the first 40 miles was 44-55 mph and we averaged 5.4 M/W to the highway on ramp. We still had a range of 105 miles. I felt a 30 mile buffer was OK. Knowing a DC fast charger was 75 miles away I set the CC at 65 and even turned off the DRL. 4 adults in the car and the radio on. Well......30 miles of buffer became 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 4....I am getting nervous...3 and the warning lights come on. Then 2 and Turtle mode. Then the off ramp for the charger and 2% battery and the range goes to dashed line. The good news I made it to the charger with 2% battery. The EVGo was stressful. It kicked me off twice but finally is charging. Whew......that was close. We are going back non highway. Here are some pics.... anyway 113 miles and it was empty. 4.4 average for trip. We are rested, refreshed and heading to dinner with family soon. 40 mins at a grocery store waiting for the charge has been great typing this message. I am going to top it off with the slow charger at my family’s house before the 120 mile trek home. But there is a class 2 32 amps for free about 45 miles from home. I will have to stop I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
48F will definitely have an impact on range (batteries like 70F ambient temperature). Also verify tire pressure. I'm curious to see how the results on abetterrouteplanner.com compare against your data.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have you driven with a car full of people before, because that will affect the estimated mileage. Also headwinds and rain will reduce the range. Well done for getting to the charger. I once got home with 6%, that's the lowest I've been so far.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is what it says. Way off I guess or the 4 adults and 48 degrees was a factor. I also started with 100% battery and this assumes 90%. There was no wind, rain and no power drains. Tires should be at factory pressure but I will have to confirm.
5153D08B-0A28-40B7-B640-A16B2DBDEC56.png

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front tires were wrong from dealer at 34. I adjusted to 36 and we will see what we get going home.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the final. Corrected for temp, speed and load. Still way off from what we got. We will see how the tire pressure goes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can you try a partial route, to the highway onramp, just to see how close it gets.

There are many factors that can skew this data (e.g., battery temp, which may affect regen), but I'm surprised it isn't even close. The Ioniq 28kWh profile was beta until recently, maybe they have more tuning to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
And this is a reason why I could never have a pure EV. PHEV like my old Volt, sure, but pure electric? Heck no, and especially not in any place with cold weather. Cold temperatures are like kryptonite to battery life. Range anxiety is real, and at least with a PHEV you have the option of pulling into the next gas station.

How is the electrical charging infrastructure in Maine? Here in central-southern IL, it's virtually nonexistent... another reason pure EV isn't an option IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
People drive from coast to coast in EVs still the time. It's all about using the right tool (make/model) for the job. OP is new to EVs, and is driving a vehicle not designed for long trips.

But let's not go off-topic here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK. So the trip home, I chose a route that avoided the highway. similar distance. After a top off it said we had a 139 mile range, A lot of hills but I coasted a lot. I kept speeds at 60 MPH or less, used cruise as much as possible and had 2 more PSI in the front tires. Zero Wind, Same loads and 40 degrees Average Temp. I did have to use some heat but on-off and for only for maybe 15 miles with fan on low. I traveled a total of 109.9 miles, Meter showed 4.5 M/W average, and had 10% battery when we arrived home and only 10 miles remaining, On the previous leg described above, I assume I used 28 KW and if so, that's actual 3.92 W/M (car reported 4.4). So 40 Miles at 5.2 (non highway, gage only) and 73 at 3.21 (Highway). Charging now and I will need my EVGo receipt to check last charge so I can compute actual M/W for both trips. BTW in Maine the Gov. has signed a bill adding 25 new fast charge stations. They will be implemented in the next year and will provide 2 on my journey that just are not there now. So I will have a station every 50 miles or so. IMG_8880.JPG IMG_8879.JPG IMG_8881.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Nburd I have learned that weight and tires can also play a big role in range loss. Are you using stock tires or using winter ones? Also did you preheat the car while connected to charger? When I use ABRP I have base settings that I created using a earlier 120 mile trip. I use those settings and only adjust temp, headwind and driving speed. Using those settings helps me get very close to my real world numbers. It might also help to set the car to calculate trips between charging and not engine stops to get better data. Also a OB2 reader that can log data might offer more insight into how your driving and using battery power. I have fleetcarma in New York so I use the data they log to better understand my mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems to me you guys are doing something wrong or you get entirely different cars in the US. Longest trip I do all the time here is 200km (124mi). The route is half motorway. Speed is 110km/h (68mph) on the motorway and 90km/h (56mph) the other half. There is 400m difference in elevation between start&end. Starting point is the higher elevation. AC or heat is on but fan is set on speed 2 only. Usually 2 persons and full boot/trunk.
Upon going to my destination I get there with 70km (43mi) of range left, about 25-27% SOC. When going back, because of the climb in elevation I get back with around 12-14% and around 25km (15mi) range left.
Consumption on the route to is around 10 kwh/100km(6.2 mi/kwh), and on the way back it is around 12 kwh/100km (5.1 mi/kwh).
If I don't use AC or heat I usually get 1 kwh/100km lower electricity (meant to write fuel :) ) consumption, so going to my destination gets at around 9 kwh/100km and I get around 11 kwh/100km on the way back.

PS. Forgot to mention my tyres are at 2.8 bar pressure all of them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe the OP doesn't have a heat pump in his car? That would explain the big difference in range.

Also are you sure that you didn't choose the new 39kWh version in the ABRP.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey Nburd I have learned that weight and tires can also play a big role in range loss. Are you using stock tires or using winter ones? Also did you preheat the car while connected to charger? When I use ABRP I have base settings that I created using a earlier 120 mile trip.
Thank you. My car is 100% stock. OEM Michelin’s and 1100 miles now. I may look into the obd stuff for more data. When it had 20 miles new it seemed very close to the predicted range. It seems to be slipping a bit, 30 miles off or nearly 25% is causing me a little worry. My uncle gets his new EV next week. I want to test his out to to see if it’s any different on an identical short road trip, same driver for comparison. Then I will know if it’s normal or me or the car could have an issue, I agree the software ap for ev travel matched what the car computers said. The car did not perform that way and 15% battery is 15 miles. It does seem to lose the 25 miles of range on the computer in the last 45 miles or so and the rate of loss is about 30/45 so pretty abruptly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe the OP doesn't have a heat pump in his car? That would explain the big difference in range.

Also are you sure that you didn't choose the new 39kWh version in the ABRP.
No heat pump. But climate was completely off on the first trip and minimally used on the second. I Confirmed that route was selected with the 28 KW option. I do agree the heat pump option is pretty cool. I just could not justify the $14,500 (loss of Hyundai lease rebate on the base) plus $5,000 (Limited upcharge) cost of it. I estimate that running the heat on the second leg for about 15 miles, 20 worst case would have only been about 10% of the route loss, so 1.5 to 2 miles less (when heat is on distance to empty calcs in the car drops by about 10%).

·
Registered
150 Posts
No heat pump. But climate was completely off on the first trip and minimally used on the second. I Confirmed that route was selected with the 28 KW option. I do agree the heat pump option is pretty cool. I just could not justify the $14,500 (loss of Hyundai lease rebate on the base) plus $5,000 (Limited upcharge) cost of it. I estimate that running the heat on the second leg for about 15 miles, 20 worst case would have only been about 10% of the route loss, so 1.5 to 2 miles less (when heat is on distance to empty calcs in the car drops by about 10%).
Another factor - they do not rate range with 4 adults for sure. Also, factors like head wind and terrane are important. Heat pump is great option with mild winters. One thing you missed though - driving Nissan Leaf to "---" that would be quite a freak show experience. Ioniq EV is just business.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you. My car is 100% stock. OEM Michelin’s and 1100 miles now. I may look into the obd stuff for more data. When it had 20 miles new it seemed very close to the predicted range. It seems to be slipping a bit, 30 miles off or nearly 25% is causing me a little worry. My uncle gets his new EV next week. I want to test his out to to see if it’s any different on an identical short road trip, same driver for comparison. Then I will know if it’s normal or me or the car could have an issue, I agree the software ap for ev travel matched what the car computers said. The car did not perform that way and 15% battery is 15 miles. It does seem to lose the 25 miles of range on the computer in the last 45 miles or so and the rate of loss is about 30/45 so pretty abruptly.
As others have said, there are many contributing factors. I would add driving style. I can see a pretty big difference when I step on it or drive in a different mode. With that said, 8000 miles later I saw an increase rather than decrease of range. When I use the heater it does reduce the range considerably (30-36 miles at 49 degrees outside and 78 inside) since I have the lower trim level without a heat pump. I use the main heater while charging and then the seat heaters while driving.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the trip home photos on the route planner. I would assume worst case 3 miles loss for heat. According to the calcs I should have had 20-3 or 17% battery left. We freewheeled on every hill, revenues as much as possible and relied on cruise, this was a very tame eco minded trip. So I actually would think I should have more range than shown. More testing is needed and maybe a trip to the dealer soon. Btw the start and destinations are very close to my start and ends but not my actual addresses.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts