Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed it for the third time, previous 2 times were already a while ago, so it's definitely not constant, but today again, at regular intervals while driving (2-5 minutes), I can clearly hear a strange but very prominent swish-sound coming from the ventilation system.
First, it seems that a kind of pressure builds up, the ventilator in the motor compartment is running like ****, and then the "pressure" is released by a sound that resembles the sound of logging-on/-off to Skype on a PC.
As the weather conditions during all three times were quite moist (2× rain, last time high humidity after rain), I tought off a defrosting cycle of the heat pump, but outside temperatures were always around 15°C, so I'm not quite sure. There might be a correlation with the automatic windshield dehumidifier (AC), since it happened every time after the latter had been activated, however, I've seen it working without the swish-sound as well. In all cases, the ventilation system was in auto-mode, and the heater activated.

Anyone who recognizes this sound? Should I be worried, or is it indeed something the heat pump does in these conditions?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was finally able to record the event. Sound is not optimal, but after approximately 30 seconds in the video below, you can clearly hear it.
Between my first post and this recording, it only happened once more, so quite rare. However, when it happens during a trip, it is repeated every 2 to 5 minutes...
Anyone any idea?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I was finally able to record the event. Sound is not optimal, but after approximately 30 seconds in the video below, you can clearly hear it.
Between my first post and this recording, it only happened once more, so quite rare. However, when it happens during a trip, it is repeated every 2 to 5 minutes...
Anyone any idea?

https://youtu.be/4gm7Aq3vUCE
Corvetmed,

Sounds like the gass filling of the airco system is moving around in the closed system.
Maybe problems with frozen parts, valves or restriction orifices not working as they should.
Check the capacity, correct temperature measurements and safety functions in the airco/heatpump system in heating and cooling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the capacity, correct temperature measurements and safety functions in the airco/heatpump system in heating and cooling.
Thank you Patrick!
I don't think I can easily pull this data from the car, so I guess I will have to have my dealing do a read-out...

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thank you Patrick!
I don't think I can easily pull this data from the car, so I guess I will have to have my dealing do a read-out...
Maybe also check the oil/gas ratio in the system. To much oil will start to circulate were it shouldn't.

Would we nice to get the feedback on the forum here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a check-up at the dealer, but all tests and on-board computer readout returned negative: no faults or errors. Of course, the AC system was silent that day.
Guess I'll have to wait for the next time it happens, and then head straight to the dealer... 15 degrees and rainy: should happen quite soon again this time of the year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi evenryone,
my opinion, you have no problem but the sound you hear is normal. In a reversible heat pump system what you hear is the gas passage in the 3-way valve that has done its duty and the plant is about to turn off for next use.
It also happens in my heat pump system of split house (only heating function)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last Friday, the dealer had a more thorough look at the problem. Turned out that there was too little refrigerant in the system, so they replenished it.
Since it is currently too cold (6°C, whilst the problem only occurs with an outside temperature of 15°C), I'll have to wait until spring to know whether this solved the problem.

BTW: I got an Ioniq Hybrid as replacement car that day. The moment I drove off, I missed my Electric already (for its instantaneous response, torque, regenerative braking and silence...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the record: This is exactly what I heard yesterday night.

Too little refrigerant in my 3 week old car? How can I check this myself? Or should I go with Niclaus' explanation and just get used to it?

·
Registered
253 Posts
On my home heat pump, in the below freezing winter it makes the sound you describe. It is the reversing valve changing the flow of freon to defrost the condenser coil to keep it from freezing over. I can not hear it in the house but can if I am outside close to the condenser unit.

·
Registered
646 Posts
On my home heat pump, in the below freezing winter it makes the sound you describe. It is the reversing valve changing the flow of freon to defrost the condenser coil to keep it from freezing over. I can not hear it in the house but can if I am outside close to the condenser unit.
Indeed this is what it sounds like. But I've driven the Ioniq with the heatpump for over two years now and never experienced it. Somehow it must be freezing up (no air flow maybe) or the unit thinks it does. Something to check for the dealer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Indeed this is what it sounds like. But I've driven the Ioniq with the heatpump for over two years now and never experienced it. Somehow it must be freezing up (no air flow maybe) or the unit thinks it does. Something to check for the dealer.
Being low on freon can cause it to freeze up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyone who recognizes this sound? Should I be worried, or is it indeed something the heat pump does in these conditions?
I think it is very unlikely to be this as it was in an old car, and not a Hyudai, but I had this noise when the drainage plugs from the air intake below the windscreen were blocked and water got in to the pollen filter. Evidently the soggy filter would baloon up at first and then make a Pffffft sound when the air pushed through. When I took the car in they pointed out that the carpet was damp in the passenger footwell. It might be worth checking this even though it's probably not the cause, because if left unfixed it can corrode cables, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last Friday, the dealer had a more thorough look at the problem. Turned out that there was too little refrigerant in the system, so they replenished it.
Since it is currently too cold (6°C, whilst the problem only occurs with an outside temperature of 15°C), I'll have to wait until spring to know whether this solved the problem.
I have experienced the same issue in the 2019 EV model. In my case, the noise is not random.
When I set the ac at 15-20 c and the increase the blower, I get a same "swishing" noise rather in about 4 to 5 sec intervals. I do not hear any rumbles though, only "swishing".

Dealers seem to not have heard this issue before in Mid-Norway. I have an appointment at the garage on the 19th.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have experienced the same issue in the 2019 EV model. In my case, the noise is not random.
When I set the ac at 15-20 c and the increase the blower, I get a same "swishing" noise rather in about 4 to 5 sec intervals. I do not hear any rumbles though, only "swishing".

Dealers seem to not have heard this issue before in Mid-Norway. I have an appointment at the garage on the 19th.
That actually sounds like what I have when turning on the blower, a periodic swishing noise (not sure about the interval, but a couple of seconds sounds about right)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update:

My local dealer's workshop has fixed this AC swishing noise under the vehicle warranty scheme.

My car is 8 months old and had low refrigerant gas (R1234yf) / AC gas of 270 grams, which in a normal Ioniq EV should be 1100 grams. No wonder the AC was not cooling the cabin before (15-20c). The mechanic said there was oil sweating (direct translation) AKA wet area below the car where the AC system is located. When he did a pressure test he could see small bubbles between the AC pipe and the AC radiator.

Part number 97761G7500 (Pipe & Tube Assembly) was used to fix this, which costs around 4702 Kroner in Norway, off-course under warranty.

So, if anyone else has this weird swishing noise from the AC (not heater), then most probably the low level of refrigerant is the cause. I showed the page / post from Corvetmed to the agent to support the warranty claim and that this issue is not a one-off incident for Hyundai to ignore.

Now the AC finally is able to cool the cabin. Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, happens periodically every 2-3 mins when AC is set to auto at 22 C.

@TronIoniq Mind sharing which dealer you took the car to ? I am based in Oslo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
pepe
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing