Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday at my first fill-up I did a reset on my mpg computer display. As in my Honda I expected the km/l counting would start counting somewhere at. 1 km/ l and then the way up to normal fuel consumption around 24km/l.
On the contrary; the computer starts counting from 60 km/l the way down ( i hope). Strange guys those Koreans.!
See the attached picture of my dashboard.
So its very easy to demo high mpg's with the hybrid. LOL.

Wonder why Hyundai didn't show this in their commercials?

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
I havent noticed anything strange! But you did pull away in EV mode so your MPG will be high as you are using zero petrol for the distance you are travelling....so maybe those Koreans are not as strange as people who like to measure electricity in gallons :)

What I have found strange is that when I got the car it slowly counted up the mpg to its final figure and then on my next fill it started high (because I was making forward progress on the battery and using no fuel and then reduced as the ICE kicked in and then climbed over time as it all evened out).

When our petrol i20 was in the garage for some work it also came back with horribly low mpg that gradually climbed and then on the next fill it behaved normally...so I guess the initial behaviour is something to do with whatever they do to the ECU sometimes in the workshop

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I havent noticed anything strange! But you did pull away in EV mode so your MPG will be high as you are using zero petrol for the distance you are travelling....so maybe those Koreans are not as strange as people who like to measure electricity in gallons
martinhj has got it exactly right . Mine often starts at 99 mpg if I pull off in EV mode .
Maybe the Koreans didn't advertise it as such because they wanted to be honest . How refreshing is that ? :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
The weird thing is like I said in my post when I first got the car it started very slowly climbing and took an age (as in a few hundred miles) to get upto a realistic figure.

Other half's i20 was doing "normal" things until it went in under warranty to have some work done with Hyundai and when it came it it did exactly the same thing and then on the next fillup it started where you would expect it. Not sure why but obviously something reset in the ecu or something I assume. Hardly anything to be worried about but strange nontheless

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly, as far as I was aware this was how all cars calculated fuel economy after a reset. As soon as you reset, the car starts recording mileage and also monitors the fuel level. Because the fuel is always sloshing around in the tank, this can be very unreliable at first so the calculation comes back that you're using little to no fuel, hence the false high reading. This obviously gets more accurate with time. I'm not sure why a calculator would start from 0.1, as that would imply that you've used a huge amount of fuel and hardly moved at all, and when is that ever true?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Our Yaris did the same, so nothing new to me. And like said in this thread already: you will drive EV for the first couple of kilometers, thus using 0, or very close to 0, fuel. When you drive 1km on 0.01 liter of fuel, your fuel efficiency is "thru the roof". I have driven 99.9 km/l right after filling !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts