Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm sitting still with the car on and rotate the wheel back and fourth. it makes a rubbing sound like plastic on plastic. Anyone else notice this?

My car now has 5600 miles on its, one month old......

It's going in for service next week and I have three small issues that need to be looked at.
A piece of trim above the headlight sticks up slightly and is loose.
The steering wheel noise.
An exhaust rattle when the engine starts like the metal shroud or the muffler rattles.
Fuel economy is averaging over fifty miles per gallon.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If I'm sitting still with the car on and rotate the wheel back and fourth. it makes a rubbing sound like plastic on plastic. Anyone else notice this?
I take it this is a noise other than the sound of the tyres turning on the ground on which you are parked.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I take it this is a noise other than the sound of the tyres turning on the ground on which you are parked.
Lol, I thought it but wasn't going to ask. I'm amazed at the noises these low rolling resistance tires make when you turn the wheel at a stop on various surfaces. (And based on that, I'm amazed they have any level of grip at all for acceleration, braking, and steering...)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I haven't, but I'll keep an ear out for it now that I know it might be a thing...

·
Registered
76 Posts

Yep. I just started noticing this as well about 100 miles ago at 3700 Miles/8 months. Especially noticeable starting out in EV mode. Added to my service list when I eventually get to 7500 miles along with the exhaust rattle/roar that happens around 2000 RPMs.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This needs to be addressed by the dealer. It seems like a bushing failure. The steering shaft is not to long because it does not go to any kind of gearing because the steering is electronic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine does the same. The dealer said that Hyundai representatives were notified and they will change the steering column and/or power steering motor if it gets worse. Also it seems that it is a common Hyundai problem for new models (Including Elantra made in Korea and i30 made in The Czech Republic).

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I haven't, but I'll keep an ear out for it now that I know it might be a thing...
LIkewise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up my 16 month old model yesterday, with 26000 miles.
i also has noticed a rubbing noise coming from the steering wheel.
yes, it does sound like plastic on plastic
i can feel a piece of plastic just where the wheel enters the shroud
will report to dealer next week.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why would you turn the steering with car stationery? To accelerate steering gear and tyre wear?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Yup, parking. In the old days when few cars had power steering, you pretty much had to be moving at least slightly to get the wheel to turn at all. Probably not so great to turn the wheel routinely without rolling for some cars. Since I'm old, I never just sit in one spot and move the wheel - just feels wrong. I do remember some late 60's early 70's cars with crazy strong power steering with a light touch - rather astounding to turn the wheel fully stopped with one finger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve noticed this on mine as well. Just bought it a month ago certified pre-owned from the dealer with 13,000 miles on it. Haven’t reported it to the dealer yet, but I think I will to see what they say.

·
Registered
33 Posts

It's going in for service next week and I have three small issues that need to be looked at.
A piece of trim above the headlight sticks up slightly and is loose.
The steering wheel noise.
An exhaust rattle when the engine starts like the metal shroud or the muffler rattles.
Fuel economy is averaging over fifty miles per gallon.
Hi
take a look at this discussion:
I guess this is the same problem. Here in Italy several owners complain about this annoying problem and Hyundai does not seem to find a suitable solution. Someone thinks that the problem could be the flexible coupling on power steering motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, they changed my steering column this week towards that noise they didn't put any problems on me, this was covered by the guarantee ... their price is about 2000 euros ..2200 dollars:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts