Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

just wondering if anyone experiences this:

Every time I get out of the Ioniq and grab the door to close it, I get a static shock. Depending maybe on how far I've driven.. it ranges from almost undetectable to a decently zappy. Think of a more powerful static shock you've gotten from another person or something. So it's not blowing my arm off here, it's more like... slightly frown inducing. This is really not a big deal at all, I assume some kind of static charge is built up in a car that's full or electricity and friction.

Maybe my car is just letting me know it still loves me. Or wants a wash. Hah.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hey all

just wondering if anyone experiences this:

Every time I get out of the Ioniq and grab the door to close it, I get a static shock. Depending maybe on how far I've driven.. it ranges from almost undetectable to a decently zappy. Think of a more powerful static shock you've gotten from another person or something. So it's not blowing my arm off here, it's more like... slightly frown inducing. This is really not a big deal at all, I assume some kind of static charge is built up in a car that's full or electricity and friction.

Maybe my car is just letting me know it still loves me. Or wants a wash. Hah.
Never experienced this, but Cyprus has very low humidity which I think can be a factor in static discharge.
Also have you considered the cloths you wear e.g. synthetics more likely to cause static than cottons? Or maybe you are shuffling your arse /back in the seat creating static?;)

·
Registered
Ioniq EV, basic trim
50 Posts
I used to have many many electric shocks of all kinds including static electric shocks not from cars but from metal in general. One thing that worked for me is to flick or rapidly tap on metal things before I hold them properly. That seems to mean I don`t get shocks. My theory is that the the tiny amount of contact is enough to discharge all the electricity but not enough so you feel it. I am not sure if that makes any sense but for whatever reason it seemed to work for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It can't be my clothes, here in Canada it's customary to drive naked everywhere 😎

HyperIoniq is right, if I hold the door as I get out, no shocks :D So.. I'll just do that! I seem to be pretty statically charged around my house too for some reason, not my family members though. Must be these silk undi.... nevermind moving on!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts