Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I've tried driving in sports mode a bit. Simply to get to know the car better. I find it interesting. There's not lot more power and the car is not much quicker, I think, but you can definitely feel that it's a bit livelier then regular driving. I think i know now what to expect if I ever need to get out of a situation quickly, and what I can and can't expect from the car.

It's not much different, but it is a noticeable difference in reaction. I recommend doing this once in a while to be more aware of the cars abilities.

My wife took a photo of the dash for me.

Attachments

Registered
Mine is the full Electric model and I gave it a burst in sport mode yesterday.
When you put your foot down, the needle whacks straight round to 100 and the car takes off.
Wee bit more tyre noise but not much else 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
When you put your foot down, the needle whacks straight round to 100 and the car takes off.
Sadly, the HEV doesn't have the torque of the EV, so it isn't quite so sprightly anyway, but the HEV's sport mode is still quite rewarding for a little pokey family saloon car!

It does accelerate rather more rapidly than in normal mode, even if it's only by remapping gear changes and the throttle to be more responsive at the top-end of the pedal travel, but just as important is the much tighter and more engaged feel of the steering. I've seen a few reviews of the Ioniq where the reviewer was anything from surprised to almost startled by the change of feel of the car as a whole.

In my Prius, switching to power mode also gave a rather more rapid acceleration, though not with quite the same sense of urgency the Ioniq provides. Gear changing vs the CVT might have a lot to do with that, possibly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, the HEV doesn't have the torque of the EV, so it isn't quite so sprightly anyway, but the HEV's sport mode is still quite rewarding for a little pokey family saloon car!

It does accelerate rather more rapidly than in normal mode, even if it's only by remapping gear changes and the throttle to be more responsive at the top-end of the pedal travel, but just as important is the much tighter and more engaged feel of the steering. I've seen a few reviews of the Ioniq where the reviewer was anything from surprised to almost startled by the change of feel of the car as a whole.

In my Prius, switching to power mode also gave a rather more rapid acceleration, though not with quite the same sense of urgency the Ioniq provides. Gear changing vs the CVT might have a lot to do with that, possibly.
Now that you mention it, I think you're actually right about the steering&! I'll have to go again to check 馃檪

Registered
Sports mode is mostly about remapping the accelerator pedal position to power output and engaging the ICE to charge the battery to the limit, so that the extra torque of the electric motor is always available. It also changes the characteristics of power steering, giving it a 鈥渢ighter鈥 feel. It makes the car a more fun to drive feel at the cost of fuel efficiency. Cool feature, but a bit of a gimmick. If you 鈥渇loor it鈥 in ECO mode you will get the same acceleration, unless the SOC is too low to give the electric boost.

Registered
Are you sure about the power steering in sport mode? I always drive my BEV in sport mode, but I feel it is hard to keep the car going straight on the motorway. I have to do minute corrections on the steering wheel, much more so than other cars I have driven. Maybe I'll try the normal mode for a while, although I don't really like the throttle response on that mode.

Registered
Are you sure about the power steering in sport mode? I always drive my BEV in sport mode, but I feel it is hard to keep the car going straight on the motorway. I have to do minute corrections on the steering wheel, much more so than other cars I have driven. Maybe I'll try the normal mode for a while, although I don't really like the throttle response on that mode.
That's sort of the point of Power Steering, to make it more responsive, particularly at low speeds. Power steering at high speed does mean your car will react more to the slightest changes and does require more correction. Where power steering is most helpful is at lower speeds for better manoeuvring, and that's where the steering difference in Sport mode is most noticeable: it's tighter as in more responsive and corners better at greater acceleration. Most modern cars do have power steering and the upper trims of the Ioniq have power steering in eco as well as sport mode; it just gets a boost when in sport mode. Power steering is also often speed sensitive to provide better steering assistance at lower speeds and less and higher speeds.

In January I drove the Blue trim of the Ioniq (lowest trim in Canada) for a few days, which clearly lacked Power Steering, as the car, at slow speeds, was very heavy and sluggish around corners, compared to my Limited trim; requiring more strength to turn the wheel than I was used to.

Registered
Euhm, I don't think there's any car on the (Dutch) market without power steering of some form. Even the base model Hyundai i10 has it.

I do think the Ioniq doesn't have speed sensitive power steering, and that's why it won't go straight with ease at high speeds

Registered
I do think the Ioniq doesn't have speed sensitive power steering, and that's why it won't go straight with ease at high speeds
Perhaps not in Sport Mode, but I do think it does in Eco Mode. As you have said you always drive on on motorways in Sport Mode for better throttle response. Try it in eco mode and see if that does make a difference.

As a side note, I'm not sure what, if any, difference this might make, but it seems to me that the BEV would be back heavy due to the larger battery in the boot and the lack of an internal combustion engine, while the HEV would be front heavy due to a much smaller battery underneath the rear bench and the ICE under the bonnet.

Registered
Perhaps not in Sport Mode, but I do think it does in Eco Mode. As you have said you always drive on on motorways in Sport Mode for better throttle response. Try it in eco mode and see if that does make a difference.
I was on my local interstate yesterday evening, and my HEV (in eco mode) didn't wander at all. at 65-70mph it stuck on line quite well, and needed very little steering input. Certainly it was no worse than previous cars I've owned and driven.

I don't drive it much in sport mode, and haven't at all on the interstate.

Registered
Does lane keeping assistant help you with these microcorrections?
It can't on mine as I my trim/year/region combination only has Lane Departure Warning. Lane Keep Assist hadn't been approved for the Ioniq in Canada for the 2017 model. But I believe it was added to to the 2018 Canadian models. So quite certain I have speed-dependent power-steering on mine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
JBSwiftus
Hyundai IONIQ Forum
A community of Hyundai Ioniq enthusiasts discussing the electric acceleration & reliability of the Hyundai ioniq hybrid.
Full Forum Listing