Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried driving "normally" in sport for a week to see what it does to your MPG?

Friend of mine claims he gets better MPG in his current Golf R and previous Golf GTD when driving normally in sport / race, theory being you get to your desired speed quickly in a lower gear then switch into 6th and cruise vs slowly accelerating to the speed spending more time getting there with bad-mediocre MPG while accelerating, kind-of makes sense to me in a petrol / diesel car where setting off uses a relatively big ammount of fuel whereas in the Ioniq i can set off in EV mode almost always (depeding on charge).

Am i talking out of my arse or could there be some sense in this?
Normal driving in mostly eco at the moment has gotten me to 71.6MPG UK this tank with ~160 miles left, intend to drive it in sport mode all next tank to see what I get.
I drive around 76 miles total for work every weekday (mostly motorway).

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
Not tried it myself , but what I have noticed with Sport mode is that the car will not change to EV as readily as it does in ECO mode . So I wouldn't think you'll achieve better economy when driving in Sport

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, however if the engine is running its charging the battery more leading to better economy when you go uphill / going steadily? should be an interesting test this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I kind of want to try this now; except I suspect that similar to how when I try to hypermile I eventually forget and fall back to more normal driving habits (one tank of gas lasts me a month-ish cause of how little I drive so doing one thing: hypermiling for a whole tank or remembering to put in sport all the time for a whole tank) for a whole month is actually quite a commitment (plus i just have awful memory). If I ever do this though I'll be sure to update thread!

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
True, however if the engine is running its charging the battery more leading to better economy when you go uphill / going steadily? should be an interesting test this.
I have tried this locally , Wales being all hills, but I've seen no evidence of the battery charging more in Sport than ECO .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not tried it myself , but what I have noticed with Sport mode is that the car will not change to EV as readily as it does in ECO mode . So I wouldn't think you'll achieve better economy when driving in Sport
This has been my (admittedly short) experience as well. I find it useful to treat it as a "semi-manual" transmission. Pop the gearshift to the left into S at full stops, accelerate from 0 in S, and then once you're up to the speed you want, pop it back into normal D. If I leave it in S for in-town driving, the engine ends up revving too high for too long IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts