Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the speedometer in the Ioniq Hybrid premium to be very accurate but have an odd profile. Basically over 20mph it reads 3mph fast (compared to GPS speed), when it reads 30mph you will be doing 27 and at 70mph you will be doing 67 (it actually varies between 66/67 at this speed). My previous car was by coincidence 3mph fast at 30mph but by 70 was 8mph fast; reading 70 was only 62!. Other cars I have had also get more inaccurate at higher speeds. (The most inaccurate speedo in a car I have driven was an old hilman imp with one of those old electromechanical speedos. Going constant speed the needle would sway over a 10 to 20 mph range. And that was one of the better things about the car!)

·
Registered
'17 Marina Blue HEV Ltd I O N I Q since 25 Jul '17
1,837 Posts
From my understanding is manufacturers are allowed a 10% variance as long as the actual speed is slower than what's registered. If the actual vehicle speed is faster than what's registered on the speedometer, you should be able to ask your dealership to recalibrate it for you at no cost, as it could potentially land you a ticket; but I don't think they'll recalibrate at all if it's within 10% in your favour, ie it says your going faster than you actually are.

That said, from my own experience with my Ioniq, on stock tyres, I find it accurate up to about 80 km/h (50 mph) at which point it generally say I'm going 1 km faster than what my GPS reads. Around 100 km/h (62 mph) it will say I'm going about 2 km faster than my GPS. On winter tyres, the discrepancy starts around 60 or 70 km/h, again always indicated I'm going faster than I actually am.

Reactions: Chris108

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
776 Posts
Most older vehicles used to have a fixed 5% over read, give or take a percent. More recently I've noticed that speedos are much more accurate. Likely due to the ubiquitous presence of on board GPS which would reveal the discrepancy.

My IONIQ EV generally ready 1 km/h over. Weird but true, the centre "analogue" display is the one that reads slightly over. If I call up the secondary speed display on the right, it seems to be bang on.

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Limited with Ultimate Package
1,131 Posts
It's interesting that the on-board GPS will show your speed. I didn't think manufacturers would want that but it's there. I find the "analog" and digital speedometers to match each other, probably because the analog one is still digital. I assume they get their information from the same place. I find the speedometer to be very accurate with the factory 17" wheels but a little bit off when I switch to the winter wheels and tires which are on 15" wheels. The winter set is the same size that comes with the SEL and Blue models.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am wondering if the winter tires are a bit different in circumference due to a snow tire tread being slightly deeper than a standard tread. It would be interesting to measure the circumference of each.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It's interesting that the on-board GPS will show your speed. I didn't think manufacturers would want that but it's there. I find the "analog" and digital speedometers to match each other, probably because the analog one is still digital. I assume they get their information from the same place. I find the speedometer to be very accurate with the factory 17" wheels but a little bit off when I switch to the winter wheels and tires which are on 15" wheels. The winter set is the same size that comes with the SEL and Blue models.
I'm not sure about built-in nav systems showing your speed, speed limits—yes, but I don't think they show your speed, at least not on Hyundais (or at least not on the two Elantras my dad has had with built-in nav).

My Ioniq did not come with built-in Nav, but I have a standalone Garmin on my windshield that does show me my speed, or if I plug in my iPhone, Waze will also show me my speed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure about built-in nav systems showing your speed, speed limits—yes, but I don't think they show your speed, at l
I use Waze with Veociraptor over Android Auto, you are right the standard sat-nav doesn't display the speed

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I use Waze with Veociraptor over Android Auto, you are right the standard sat-nav doesn't display the speed
Don't know that one. Is that another Android app? I use Waze on my iPhone with Apple CarPlay

(Also a quick note for quoting with the new forum layout. If you start typing and realize after that you want to quote someone above, instead of copying and pasting, you can just click reply now and it will automatically insert the post as quoted text at the flashing cursor point in the text box, keeping anything you've already typed, and without refreshing the page, either. That way you get all the correct attribution tags and the person you're quoting is notified of the quote. It's also how you can multiquote people. Just click on Reply for each one and each person's post is automatically added to the reply box in order.)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm not sure about built-in nav systems showing your speed, speed limits—yes, but I don't think they show your speed, at least not on Hyundais (or at least not on the two Elantras my dad has had with built-in nav).

My Ioniq did not come with built-in Nav, but I have a standalone Garmin on my windshield that does show me my speed, or if I plug in my iPhone, Waze will also show me my speed.
It does if you dig a little bit, at least on the US version. If you go to setup, then navigation then navigation information (I think) it shows a bunch of information there including speed, elevation, coordinates and a little sky map with the satellite locations which it's locked on to. It doesn't show the speed on the map like standalone navigation units or Waze does.

I was playing with it yesterday and the car shows 2 miles per hour faster than the gps does so when the cruise control is set to 65, the car is actually traveling 63.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It does if you dig a little bit, at least on the US version. If you go to setup, then navigation then navigation information (I think) it shows a bunch of information there including speed, elevation, coordinates and a little sky map with the satellite locations which it's locked on to. It doesn't show the speed on the map like standalone navigation units or Waze does.

I was playing with it yesterday and the car shows 2 miles per hour faster than the gps does so when the cruise control is set to 65, the car is actually traveling 63.
Interesting. I'll check again next time I'm in my dad's car to see if I can find the option there as well. I think he might appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Interesting. I'll check again next time I'm in my dad's car to see if I can find the option there as well. I think he might appreciate it.
I know that I like that display. It's a bit of a trade-off, if I'm viewing that information then I can't view the map or the speed limit but I'm a sucker for useless but interesting information being displayed.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I know that I like that display. It's a bit of a trade-off, if I'm viewing that information then I can't view the map or the speed limit but I'm a sucker for useless but interesting information being displayed.
Well sometimes, it's just easier for your brain to process an actual number displayed rather than read where a needle is pointing on a dial, especially now that my dad is on in years, so that you can also divert your eyes back to the road more quickly after glancing to check your speed. His Elantra does have a digital readout option on the 4" screen next to the speedometer dial, same as the Ioniq, but he prefers to keep that on the screen that shows his instant and overall economy and his range.

Reactions: IsntItIoniq

·
Registered
242 Posts
Older cars like the Hillman Imp used a mechanical speedo. A worm drive in the gearbox connected to the speedo via a rotating cable inner and flexible outer. That is why the inaccuracy was a certain percentage not fixed mpg difference. On the Ioniq, I find the difference to fluctuate between 2 and 3mph so is probably 2.5mph different.

I remember a 2013 Ford I owned I did an experiment to see where the speedo got it's signal from. It didn't have a SatNav but had a GPS module and this I found strange (As listed in the scan tool cpu list). There wasn't any speed sensor on the gearbox so I removed the fuses for the ABS control unit to stop any speed signal over the CAN from that module, the speedo still worked. I then pulled the fuse for the GPS module and reconnect the ABS. Still the speedo worked. One can assume that the signal is from both sources. Obviously I was not going to drive without the ABS working but this was just an experiment. When I cleared the fault codes I noticed there was a setting to change wheel and tyre sizes. When these were changed it made absolutely no difference to the error between speedo and GPS speeds as indicated by my phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts