Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tied my Ioniq to my S7 Edge via a WiFi hotspot and am getting live traffic updates so that is all okay. But..

1) I've not seen any speed cameras on the nav screen yet, even when testing the guidance on my way home from work. Do I have to enable them somewhere as I cant see where to do this? And do they only show up when you are on a guided journey?
2) The screen saying live traffic data is available takes a good while to show up, well into the journey. Is there a way to initiate it manually?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
because in some countries it is illegal to have camera warnings (here in the UK its allowed) the default is not to show them

to enable them you need to go into the navigation settings and you will see the camera alerts unticked,

tick it, you will then get a message warning you to check it is legal for you to use the in your country

then you will get a ding dong as a warning when you approach a known camera position

on the left of the nav screen you will see like a speed camera with a + in it, this is to report a camera which the system hasn't warned you about, just touch it and it will send he location back to the live traffic servers

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bluecar1. Will check that out now.

Incidentally, I wonder if the process of adding cameras has some form of verification process - I'm thinking they wouldn't add a camera based on one person reporting it?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
see attached for enabling the speed camera warnings, enable then you will see the warning message you have to accept so you can't say it was accidentally turned on

go to the settings (cog button) menu, then choose navigation

then see the two screens below, I think you have to have the NAV system connected to a hot spot / wireless network for the option to appear

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
see attached for enabling the speed camera warnings, enable then you will see the warning message you have to accept so you can't say it was accidentally turned on

then see the two screens below, I think you have to have the NAV system connected to a hot spot / wireless network for the option to appear
Hi I cannot find this setting to turn on camera warnings my list stops at lane guidance.?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi I cannot find this setting to turn on camera warnings my list stops at lane guidance.?
Apparently, this depends also on your location.
In Switzerland, speed camera warnings are illegal and I could not find this option myself.
Across the border in Austria, this option was displayed and I was able to turn it on.
(I was connected to a hotspot. I did not check whether this was necessary)
Anyhow, I did not see any speed cameras displayed back across the border in Switzerland.

I bought the car in Germany, so the behaviour in Switzerland is not due to being a "Swiss" car.

Maybe we can start a list of countries/regions/states where this option is hidden:

Hidden:
Switzerland
Liechtenstein

Displayed:
Austria

·
Registered
602 Posts

The same for me, it stops at lane guidance :(. It says the phone is connected and the car is on my drive so that there is my home wi-fi connection as well as mobile data. Have used the bluetooth connection and also Android Auto via the usb port neither produces the warning message or option.

Any ideas welcomed!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The same for me, it stops at lane guidance :(. It says the phone is connected and the car is on my drive so that there is my home wi-fi connection as well as mobile data. Have used the bluetooth connection and also Android Auto via the usb port neither produces the warning message or option.
Any ideas welcomed!

On my phone I have to turn off WiFi for the tethered connection to work see Rene's post

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/186905-post15.html

·
Registered
602 Posts
On my phone I have to turn off WiFi for the tethered connection to work see Rene's post

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/186905-post15.html
Thanks for that BDG, I tried that but it did not work :(. On reflection I think the tethering must be working because I have on rare occasions had diversion options and also seen hatching on the Ioniq mapping which surely can only come from successful tethering/traffic updates. So I think it is just the simply the lack of the speed camera option in nav settings which is the issue

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
you can get some limited traffic information "over the air" via DAB, so don't assume tethering is working

there are three clues as to if tethering is acutally working

1:- shortly after you activate tethering on your phone will see a message "connected to xxxx" where xxxx is the network set up for tethering on your phone

2:- if you press the "MAP" button below the media unit, then the little house icon in the top left you get the split screen,
top right you now see all the little icons for bluetooth, mobile network signal, and you should see a signal strength icon for the wifi

3:- you should see the speed camera symbol on the left hand side of the screen when the map is on full screen

if not check you have "mobile data " enabled on your phone or tethering won't work

·
Registered
602 Posts
Cracked it :)

I think you have to have the NAV system connected to a hot spot / wireless network for the option to appear
Absolutely right, much to my surprise I did not have Wi-Fi turned on in 'Set Up/Settings/WiFi'. Once it was turned on and a hotspot located/connected it was a simple task to activate the Speed camera from the Nav guidance screen.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does that mean you only see the speed cameras when the phone is used to make a wifi connection?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
Does that mean you only see the speed cameras when the phone is used to make a wifi connection?
yep as it only uses live data for the cameras, unlike my garmin the Ioniq don't hold a database on the media unit

one thing I would says is it uses surprisingly little data from the phone

once you have the wifi working and turned on you will see live traffic data as well so the journey times are a lot more accurate

·
Registered
602 Posts
you can get some limited traffic information "over the air" via DAB, so don't assume tethering is working

1:- shortly after you activate tethering on your phone will see a message "connected to xxxx" where xxxx is the network set up for tethering on your phone

2:- if you press the "MAP" button below the media unit, then the little house icon in the top left you get the split screen,
top right you now see all the little icons for bluetooth, mobile network signal, and you should see a signal strength icon for the wifi

3:- you should see the speed camera symbol on the left hand side of the screen when the map is on full screen

if not check you have "mobile data " enabled on your phone or tethering won't work

So that I am absolutely clear on this I am making a distiction between wi-fi and mobile data connection.

It looks to me as if you need a wi-fi connection set in the Ioniq (not simply the phone) in order to intiate live traffic and if required speed camera data.

yep as it only uses live data for the cameras, unlike my garmin the Ioniq don't hold a database on the media unit

once you have the wifi working and turned on you will see live traffic data as well so the journey times are a lot more accurate
Am I correct in thinking that live traffic updates can subsequently come from mobile data, in particular say the '3 Data sim' that several members have enthused about? As well as wi-fi hotspots via the phone if you are close enough for long enough?

Slightly off topic I have not often paid over much attention to ETA although I did think initially it was quite an optimistic timing. Latterly I have thought it more reasonable and I wonder if the car has learnt that as well?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts

So that I am absolutely clear on this I am making a distiction between wi-fi and mobile data connection.

It looks to me as if you need a wi-fi connection set in the Ioniq (not simply the phone) in order to intiate live traffic and if required speed camera data.

wifi is how your mobile phone presents the mobile data connection to the media unit in the Ioniq, and as such the media unit uses your phones mobile data allowance to access the internet to get the live traffic and camera information

Am I correct in thinking that live traffic updates can subsequently come from mobile data, in particular say the '3 Data sim' that several members have enthused about? As well as wi-fi hotspots via the phone if you are close enough for long enough?

Slightly off topic I have not often paid over much attention to ETA although I did think initially it was quite an optimistic timing. Latterly I have thought it more reasonable and I wonder if the car has learnt that as well?

it does seem to learn your "average speeds" on certain road types,but it can't take hold ups into account as it don't have live traffic info

with the live traffic data once you tether to the wifi on your phone you will see congestion road signs on your map, which if you tap them it with give you details of the holdup and the length of the expected delay, so your arrival times should be even more accurate
maybe this helps

live traffic / camera info
media unit WiFi > hotspot on phone > phone mobile data > Internet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Help speed cameras

I have enabled speed camera in navigation settings but can’t seem to get the picture of the camera on my screen.
Please help
Thanks
Sanjay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all
I have enabled speed cameras in settings but can’t seem to get the speed cameras alert to function.
Any advice ???
BDG you posted a thumbnail with the display I can’t seem to get that.
Please help
Many thanks

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Hi all
I have enabled speed cameras in settings but can’t seem to get the speed cameras alert to function.
Any advice ???
BDG you posted a thumbnail with the display I can’t seem to get that.
Please help
Many thanks
I've given up with traffic and speed cameras, I had it all working and then it stopped after 10 miles, and I could not get it going again.I have installed Waze and Android Auto and now use that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts