Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently the long awaited Jan reveal came and went in S. Korea last night and I missed it despite scouring the internet every day for the date. Did anybody see the reveal?

I'm warming up to the styling slowly. My first impression was that it was a perfectly boring, ordinary car with really ugly wheels. I've got to admit that it looked good on the stage.

New press release here: Hyundai Ioniq launches in Korea before challenging Prius in US [w/video]

Most of the info was previously leaked. I'm intrigued by the ECO-DAS technology where the Ioniq will fine-tune the electric charging/assist according to the predicted load and traffic patterns on your route. That is, if I'm about to climb Teton Pass, and I program the route into the sat nav system, the Ioniq could begin charging the battery to max on the mild incline leading up to the pass and give me some extra boost when the road gets really steep. That would be so cool!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Too bad that wasn't in english since there were probably some valueable information to be heard. Still great opportunity to see it in action.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's another video by a Korean auto blogger that was thoughtful enough to include English subtitles:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ioniq's webpage is up on Hyundai's Korean website with more detailed info on features, trim levels, and specs. It's mostly in Korean, however. There is an option for English at the top right of the page but the link doesn't work yet:

????? ?? ????

·
Registered
169 Posts
From what I can see, thank you Google translate, there are 5 trims; I, I+, N, N+ and Q.
There's also the fun paint function you can mess about with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like that the car uses twin clutch. For a second I thought the back seat leg room was amazing but it turns out there's so much space because a child and not an adult is sitting there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looking at all these video's one thing I think i'll change is the blacked out part of the grille, good chance that going body colored it'll also look good.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks amazing in that shade of orange/red.
When he said that the battery was made by LG Chem I had an 'ah' moment. Same guys that made the 200 mile battery for the Chevy Bolt produced the Hyundai battery. Maybe the all electric ioniq can have the same range as the Bolt.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Highly doubt it. That battery design was made for Chevy, don't think they would be happy to share it with their competitor.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Looks amazing in that shade of orange/red.
When he said that the battery was made by LG Chem I had an 'ah' moment. Same guys that made the 200 mile battery for the Chevy Bolt produced the Hyundai battery. Maybe the all electric ioniq can have the same range as the Bolt.
My guess is it should come in close since there are other factors that come into play with how that power is delivered and ends up in numbers we see on a sheet. But close enough is close enough, other factors to consider for the serious buyer that stays well informed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I saw that GM is considering selling the Bolt's engine to other automakers. Sounds like that could apply to the Ioniq but it seems that the Ioniq is further along in its development at this point.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I saw that GM is considering selling the Bolt's engine to other automakers. Sounds like that could apply to the Ioniq but it seems that the Ioniq is further along in its development at this point.
I can actually see that happening more with a Nissan/GM project.

There should be a market for Cargo Van's with that powertrain, which GM and Nissan already share. Maybe we could see something happening in that segment.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I was not aware of it, but apparently Hyundai and Kia have some kind of corporate arrangement. From what I have read, Kia will share the unit body and power train from Hyundai, but not the interior and exterior finishes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Correct, they fused together back in 1998 and come to think about it that goes together with the improvement in vehicles they had, which got much more interesting after that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts