Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2020 Polar White Ioniq PHEV
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Polar White Ioniq PHEV and when I was claying my car for the first time today, I found something odd that is likely to be a manufacturer defect. I live in the US and on the left side (driver side) , the chrome underneath the base of side mirror is painted white unlike the right side which is just chrome. The white painted chrome looks crudely painted too. This peaked my curiousity in whether the car should actually have the paint or chrome. I've had my Ioniq for about 5 months and it's funny I've never noticed before 馃槃.

During my investigation, I found another white Ioniq with the similar issue on youtube albeit the opposite of mine.

On 0:16 you can clearly see that the chrome strip goes all the way underneath the base of the side mirror.
While around 2:04, it's painted white.

I went to the official Hyundai Ioniq USA website (2020 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid | Hyundai USA) and as you can see from their welcome video (the one where the family is shown to enter the car at the beach), the chrome extends all the way to the base of the side mirror. Even going through the gallery photos (2020 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid Gallery | Hyundai USA), the chrome styling is similar to the video. That settles it, right? Not so fast.

In the gallery, there is also a 360 view of the car, and in that view, guess what? The strips underneath the base of the side mirrors ARE PAINTED the same color as the color of the car you've chosen.

Honestly, I think I'd rather mine be chrome but white would've been ok too IF THEY WERE DONE WELL AND ON BOTH SIDES 馃槳. I'd post some pics of mine if requested (It's too dark to take pictures now). I also understand it's just asthetic but what do you guys expect from someone that details their own car? lol

I've also seen user rotrav post a pic of his/her Ioniq (What colour is your Ioniq Plugin Hybrid) that seem to have the same issue which could mean that this thing is more common than fluky.

TLDR:
White paint on chrome underneath left side view mirror (Left driver side), regular chrome under the right side view mirror (passenger side). Photos will be provided if requested.

Registered
I have a Polar White Ioniq PHEV and when I was claying my car for the first time today, I found something odd that is likely to be a manufacturer defect. I live in the US and on the left side (driver side) , the chrome underneath the base of side mirror is painted white unlike the right side which is just chrome. The white painted chrome looks crudely painted too. This peaked my curiousity in whether the car should actually have the paint or chrome. I've had my Ioniq for about 5 months and it's funny I've never noticed before 馃槃.

During my investigation, I found another white Ioniq with the similar issue on youtube albeit the opposite of mine.

On 0:16 you can clearly see that the chrome strip goes all the way underneath the base of the side mirror.

I went to the official Hyundai Ioniq USA website (2020 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid | Hyundai USA) and as you can see from their welcome video (the one where the family is shown to enter the car at the beach), the chrome extends all the way to the base of the side mirror. Even going through the gallery photos (2020 Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid Gallery | Hyundai USA), the chrome styling is similar to the video. That settles it, right? Not so fast.

In the gallery, there is also a 360 view of the car, and in that view, guess what? The strips underneath the base of the side mirrors ARE PAINTED the same color as the color of the car you've chosen.

Honestly, I think I'd rather mine be chrome but white would've been ok too IF THEY WERE DONE WELL AND ON BOTH SIDES 馃槳. I'd post some pics of mine if requested (It's too dark to take pictures now). I also understand it's just asthetic but what do you guys expect from someone that details their own car? lol

I've also seen user rotrav post a pic of his/her Ioniq (What colour is your Ioniq Plugin Hybrid) that seem to have the same issue which could mean that this thing is more common than fluky.

TLDR:
White paint on chrome underneath left side view mirror (Left driver side), regular chrome under the right side view mirror (passenger side). Photos will be provided if requested.
My PHEV is Electric Shadow. Its chrome trims are not painted over anywhere, but it did have some areas of dull paintwork - under the driver's side mirror and further forward too. I didn't spot this for several weeks until the sun caught it at the right angle to make it obvious. I showed it to a detailer, who offered to fix it for 拢90, but in the end the dealer did it for free. I'm only reading between the lines here, but my guess is that the dealer is supposed to give the car its final polish after removing the huge amount of protective film and packing in which it's shipped. If the person in the dealership is a bit careless, then the areas around the wing mirrors are the most likely to get missed. I would guess that your chrome has some stray paint residue that will easily polish off - but I would have the dealer do it so they can't blame you for anything t,hat goes wrong.

Registered
My dealer said I would be finding more bits to peel off for weeks - and he was right!
Part of designing and delivering a car to your dealer network should be including a checklist that the dealer can use to ensure they've gotten every piece of protective film removed. They shouldn't have to guess and use best effort.

Registered
That looks like it may be the protection film. Have you tried picking at the edge with something like a toothpick/credit card?

Premium Member
Apparently, my dealer doesn't have a checklist, or if they do, it isn't followed. Ours was delivered in Jan 2019, and just this week I found another trim strip with unremoved protective film.

Registered

TLDR:
That is the pre delivery protective film that has not been removed, I had it on mine on bothsides under and just to the front of mirror it peels off.

Registered
yeah the missed them on mine as well, took about 6-8 months for me to find them, as it took a while for an edge to lift and make it obvious
yeah the missed them on mine as well, took about 6-8 months for me to find them, as it took a while for an edge to lift and make it obvious
The silver part on steering wheel is another too

1 - 14 of 14 Posts