Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does the ICE initially run to heat the battery? I have noticed the ICE automatically runs when I first start up on our "cold" days (-12 C). That's with only seat heater on, and HVAC set to Off. After a short time, the ICE stops. Maybe at your very cold temperatures it needs to run longer to reach the same battery temp set point.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Does the ICE initially run to heat the battery? I have noticed the ICE automatically runs when I first start up on our "cold" days (-12 C). That's with only seat heater on, and HVAC set to Off. After a short time, the ICE stops. Maybe at your very cold temperatures it needs to run longer to reach the same battery temp set point.
When I've started the car with HVAC off, even on -7 or -8 °C days, the ICE hasn't run at all until I turned on the HVAC to clear fog on the windows. Can't recall at -10°C specifically, we haven't had many days that cold here yet this winter. (Last Friday was an extreme day for this part of Ontario.)

Certainly when the ICE is idling for heat the length of time it runs before shutting down depends upon the HVAC setting (20.5 vs 22 makes a huge difference in run time, as does Driver Only vs whole car), the outside temperature, and even how windy it is (which of course also varies with speed). On still days it comes up to temperature much quicker, and I wish I knew the PIDs to have Torque Pro show the grill shutter status, or when the exhaust heat recovery system bypasses (although that last one may be purely mechanical using a bi-metallic strip attached to a damper).

Given how hot the exhaust gases are downstream of a cat (hotter than out of the block if I recall correctly), I'm always surprised to see the rate at which coolant temperature rise tapers off after 45°C. I think the system bypasses too early, but then again that super hot exhaust from an up-to-temperature cat may just be too much for the coolant to handle, and so the system has to bypass at that point. I'd love to have a chat with one of the design engineers someday to figure out how (and why) the system works the way it does...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Two things on this:

1) The numbers don't add up. It's a 43-liter tank, so getting 900 km from it would be 4.8 l/100km.

2) That's the gasoline range estimate after fueling, i.e. how far you'll go if running on nothing but gasoline. It is, however, a plug-in hybrid car, which presumably you'll be plugging in overnight to start your day with 47 km of EV range to use for your commute / stop-and-go / in-city driving. Yeah, you'll be burning fuel for heat, but only at a rate of 1.5 l/hr while the ICE is running, which it won't be half of the time...

I did 160+ km on Tuesday starting with a full battery and ending with 1 or 2 km of EV range left. The summary that popped up at the end was 3.1 l/100 km. You won't pull that off in a Yaris...
I really don't fret about the numbers anymore. You seem to enjoy that and it is a fascinating read, thank you.
I have saved so much money on fuel in the past year and a half I'm just burning some that I've saved and am enjoying the toasty warm drive in this awesome little car!
???

·
Registered
424 Posts
I really don't fret about the numbers anymore. You seem to enjoy that and it is a fascinating read, thank you.
I don't fret about them either, and I certainly haven't adjusted my driving to try and optimize them. I do find them fascinating to watch and guess about what the car is doing, and when people have questions and I've seen the numbers that answer them I try to pass that data along. I too love a warm car. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Ioniq has been great so far, but with far more ICE starts, which I realised are very much dependent on the temp I set the HVAC to, with higher temp demanding more frequent ICE starts.

I haven't been able to charge the battery often enough to drive solely in EV mode, but have averaged 3.3L/100km on the last tank with having no EV range for about 30% of the driving, all slow urban driving, with long hills, ambient temps between -25 and 0C.

The car handles really well with studless winter tires in icy conditions, with traction control making it super easy to pull off.

For the guys having inside frost issues, would it not help to run HVAC with AC on for the last few km before stopping? That should remove most of the humidity.

The only issue for me is the lower rear window getting dirty very quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We're continued to be super impressed with how this 2020 PHEV is doing. We were of the mind...winter weather will be the worst (cold impact to battery, running the heat/etc...), we're using it for commuting and my wife's commute is mostly highway driving (220km each day) and we had it in our mind that electric/hybrid would be more efficient in city driving vs. highway. But for yet another week we average 3.1L/100km (it was colder so a bit more heat on compared to some of the other milder weeks)...1077km traveled using 33.795 Liters of gas (tank was just at the white bars and range estimate said 155km of range left). This far exceeds our expectations re. fuel economy.

Can't wait to see what our mileage is for the spring/summer/fall. Will it be better...worse (because of AC/etc..)…? Guessing better, but it'll be interesting to find out how it changes for us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a problem of fogging inside the vehicle with ice ..i need to scratch inside when the temperature here drops down to to minus...wat is te solution??Everyday i need to scrap the inside of the windshield..

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a problem of fogging inside the vehicle with ice ..i need to scratch inside when the temperature here drops down to to minus...wat is te solution??Everyday i need to scrap the inside of the windshield..
I've never experienced this so unfortunately have no proven tips to share. If the vehicle is parked outside overnight then perhaps leaving all four windows open a crack when parked would help?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check your rubber mats. The snow and ice that melts off one's boots accumulates, melts, and contributes to the moisture inside the car. I usually drop a paper towel on the floor while driving and take it out when I get home. Does the trick!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I guess I'm lucky...I park mine inside with the windows cracked a few inches, only time I have any fogging is if my hair is still damp from the shower...
But keeping your mats clear of melt will help for sure.
Sounds like "strange" advice but if you are an outdoor parker maybe bring in the driver's mat to melt/dry over night & place it in before the morning drive? I use these and they fit my 2019 (even though the website says they don't) WeatherTech Floor Mats they fit great and they are easy to get in and out (at least for me (I'm tall and the driver's seat is clear of the mats)). I regularly "dump" the water out of them.
Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
For ice on the inside of the windshield...I'd suggest 1) take all the floor mats out and wipe/dry them off (hopefully you have good rubber mats that catch everything...if you have cloth floor mats you'll need to dry them out and then put them back in the car. 2) turn on the A/C...that will help draw moisture out of the cabin...3) once things are dried off drive with the floor heater vents on and the windows cracked (weather permitting). My kids are horrible with tracking snow/slush into the car...and if it's cold, when we park outside the snow/ice doesn't evaporate...it just goes between snow/ice and a wet puddle and back to ice....and the windows ice up horribly. Keeping a couple of rags handy to wipe out the worst off of the mats helps...just don't keep the wet rags in the car...when it's bad I mop up what I can from the mats with the rags, then take the mats out and wipe them dry and put them back in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We're continued to be super impressed with how this 2020 PHEV is doing. We were of the mind...winter weather will be the worst (cold impact to battery, running the heat/etc...), we're using it for commuting and my wife's commute is mostly highway driving (220km each day) and we had it in our mind that electric/hybrid would be more efficient in city driving vs. highway. But for yet another week we average 3.1L/100km (it was colder so a bit more heat on compared to some of the other milder weeks)...1077km traveled using 33.795 Liters of gas (tank was just at the white bars and range estimate said 155km of range left). This far exceeds our expectations re. fuel economy.

I can't wait to see what our mileage is for the spring/summer/fall. Will, it be better...worse (because of AC/etc..)…? Guessing better, but it'll be interesting to find out how it changes for us.
I could be quite wrong but fuel consumption seems less in the winter months (Northern Ontario) because any time the I.C.E. is running at whatever rpm it's charging the main battery. So it works like this; the ICE idles to produce heat while I drive in EV mode. Below -10*C the HEV mode engages so I turn off the heat. It looks like I average 1% per kilometer in winter months only and 3.1 litres/100 kilometers. Summer's average fuel consumption is 4 litres/100 kilometers!
?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts