Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Day 54: They did one more repair, but I want to drive the car first, before I say too much. Kind of Ioniq cliffhanger until tomorrow. (cue suspenseful music)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Hyundai without orange peel... Get your paint cut if it bugs you. Or buy a BMW/Benz/Audi/Porsche.
When I bought my previous car (Mercedes) the dealer had a showroom full of new cars with the worst orange peel paint effect I have ever seen!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had same problem.
The tyre had been set to 40 psi and dealer had not adjusted then in final inspection.
They are now set at 36 psi with no problems.
So much for dealer inspections on new cars.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I bought my previous car (Mercedes) the dealer had a showroom full of new cars with the worst orange peel paint effect I have ever seen!
Pretty much every car without "special" metal paint is with a pretty horrible orange peel. One car painter told me once that ever since the paints were changed from toxic waste to a bit more enviromentally (water soluble??) friendly the paint job has been appalling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pretty much every car without "special" metal paint is with a pretty horrible orange peel. One car painter told me once that ever since the paints were changed from toxic waste to a bit more enviromentally (water soluble??) friendly the paint job has been appalling.

yes water based vice solvent. Water is obviously better for the environment but solvent is a better paint job.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Day 54: They did one more repair, but I want to drive the car first, before I say too much. Kind of Ioniq cliffhanger until tomorrow. (cue suspenseful music)
Oh come on, let us know at least what they did......... so we can guess the outcome.......

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Day 55: It's late in the fourth quarter, final seconds on the clock The Hyundai Engineer tosses up a Hail Mary and calls the dealership and requested them to change the EPCU

Electric Power Control Unit (EPCU
) optimizes control of the vehicle performance and provides a pleasant driving experience with reliable control of the DC/AC inverter to drive the electric motor as well as the low voltage DC-DC converter to supply power to its electronic components.
I believe it's the box with the Hyundai logo on it when you open the hood. and .. . . drum roll

It's Fixed!
Car drives as it should with the only vibrations are cause by poor paving. :) I can only assume that it controls how the motor is timed when spinning. Granted I only put about 30 miles on the car but at highway speeds the car is great. I'll post a follow up with everything that was done to the car, in a bit. I wonder if they would have started with the EPCU whether that would have solved the issue then. They did find a couple of other things that were a bit surprising, Like the front alignment was just slightly out on the drivers side tire. Could be the difference between the dealers alignment machine as opposed to Hyundai's factory machine.

Thanks to all!

Anyway, now I have to get the my Miata out of the garage and the Ioniq in for its first home charge in almost months.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The anticipation was incredible. They brought the site down right after you posted, so I had to wait some time to view it. I hope Hyundai does something for you, for this delay in your enjoyment of the car. I am so glad it's fixed. BTW this is what the EPCU does:

Electric Power Control Unit (EPCU) is an 80kW power transformer system integrated with inverter, LDC and VCU.
– Inverter : A system that converts DC power from the high voltage battery into AC power supplied to the vehicle's drive motor.
– LDC (Converter) : A system that converts DC power from the high voltage battery into DC power (low voltage) for the vehicle's electric
components

VFDs can produce bad frequencies to AC motors and cause vibrations, ruining bearings. Here is an online article: http://www.betamachinery.com/assets/pdfs/Technical_Articles/Perplexing_Variable_Frequency_Drive_Vibration_Problems.pdf

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is great, you get to keep your car and it is positively fixed! I had a bad Peugeot 308 once that was in and out of the shop for two years and finally they fixed it. It was quite bitter sweet because it broke down for the last time when I was getting of our driveway to part ex it to a Hyundai I30... nope. It went to the dealers by a flat bed and I drove it straight from Peugeot to the Hyundai dealer.
The problem was motor ECU that was acting up. When the car showed first symptoms I half jokingly suggested them to change the ECU, boy my life would have been easier if they would have done that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Day 55: It's late in the fourth quarter, final seconds on the clock The Hyundai Engineer tosses up a Hail Mary and calls the dealership and requested them to change the EPCU

I believe it's the box with the Hyundai logo on it when you open the hood. and .. . . drum roll

It's Fixed!
Car drives as it should with the only vibrations are cause by poor paving. :) I can only assume that it controls how the motor is timed when spinning. Granted I only put about 30 miles on the car but at highway speeds the car is great. I'll post a follow up with everything that was done to the car, in a bit. I wonder if they would have started with the EPCU whether that would have solved the issue then. They did find a couple of other things that were a bit surprising, Like the front alignment was just slightly out on the drivers side tire. Could be the difference between the dealers alignment machine as opposed to Hyundai's factory machine.

Thanks to all!

Anyway, now I have to get the my Miata out of the garage and the Ioniq in for its first home charge in almost months.

Happy it got worked out, fascinating that this was the issue. BTW were the vibrations equally bad across all driving speeds or worse depending on speed/throttle position or was it more or a surge feeling?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
BTW were the vibrations equally bad across all driving speeds or worse depending on speed/throttle position or was it more or a surge feeling?
No The vibrations were in the 62-68 mph speed range.

Sunday took the car on a 105 mile roundtrip journey in the country. It was great! Got home with 23% left on the battery. While the drive was mostly country roads never really getting past 60mph. The car was great.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No The vibrations were in the 62-68 mph speed range.

Sunday took the car on a 105 mile roundtrip journey in the country. It was great! Got home with 23% left on the battery. While the drive was mostly country roads never really getting past 60mph. The car was great.
I'm so happy to hear you finally got your car fixed. Good stuff. Now enjoy the damn thing lol?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Despite the car being fixed (which is awesome, of course), did they offer any compensation for your time without the car and the miles they added to the car ?

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
748 Posts
Freaking awesome news. So glad that they finally got it right. now you can enjoy your IONIQ and experience the joy the rest of us have been bragging about.

Reactions: christopher

·
Registered
519 Posts
HALLELUJAH!!
Well done Christopher, your perseverance has been rewarded!
It is a shame that you had to go through this ordeal, but in the end all is well!
Proof that life is a learning experience both for humans and their car manufacturers.

Reactions: christopher
101 - 115 of 115 Posts