Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let it be know that I love my new Ioniq Limited, the car does so many things right. However not ever having experience with the nuances of EV cars. I need to ask a couple of questions.

At exactly 61 mph there is a slight vibration only on the center console and gone at 62-63 mph. The steering wheel is perfect up in the low 70's ( which sometimes traffic demands) you can feel a small vibration in the seat, go a little faster and the car steadies out completely like you were doing 40mph. Is this normal for an EV motor?

I mean the thing is spinning at god know what rpm I can not be in perfect balance throughout it's entire range. The dealer's service tech drove it and noticed the vibration, and wanted to start with taking the tires off and rebalancing. I been around cars for a long time the small mph range of vibrations, and the fact it the vib not in the steering wheel it does not seem like the suspect. So not wanting to spend another 2-3 hours at the dealer I declined that service and thought I put it out to this community. All cars moving vibrate, so being that the car is so quiet and smooth at other ranges, this just might be the "personality" of the car.

Thanks for taking the time for reading and helping- Also the solution is Do not' drive at 61mph :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
An imbalance in the rear wheels won't always be felt in the steering wheel. It's a new car so presumably the dealer will re-balance for free, I'd just take them up on their offer and see where it goes.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ask if the dealer does a “Road Force” Balance. It’s the only perfect balance. If my dealer does not, I will see if they have another branch that does. This rotates the tire on the wheel for a perfectly smooth ride. The balance is performed with a load against the tire, to simulate the road.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stopped by a Hyundai Dealer that's closer to work and spoke with their service rep. He said it's quite common and that if the wheels are correctly balanced the tire could have developed a flat spot from the factory or at the port. They actually over inflate the tires by almost 20psi during transport to help with that issue. He recommended going back to the dealer that I bought the car from and have them check it. So I will do that. In the past I have never had great luck with people working on my cars, dealers included. It always seems that three attempts at the repair before it's either done correctly or I just give up. The thought of having them check the car and making things worse, is enough to keep me up at night. Thanks to all here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You shouldn't have to go back to the original dealer. Any dealer should be able to work on your vehicle, especially warranty work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You shouldn't have to go back to the original dealer. Any dealer should be able to work on your vehicle, especially warranty work.
I agree. I think the second dealers point was that it was more of a point of sale issue than a warranty issue. or it could just be his way of blowing me off. I'm having a hard time figuring out the in's and out of the New York Hyundai dealers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spent a Saturday morning at the dealers as they investigated my vibration problem. They said everything from it's the low resistance of the tire to normal car harmonics of the car being that it's an ev. Then they found one tire out of balance in the rear with a slight flat spot, but that after rotating the tire on the rim it was within it was within the Road Force spec. Drove the car home with the same vibration. They also said that the tire might need more time to wear in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love this video - side note inflated the tires to 44 psi it rode better hopefully they will wear back round in a couple hundred miles and I can set them to reg pressure. Otherwise I’ll just keep on the dealer until I’m either happy or the lease ends in 3 years.
lol

Actually this sounds like a resonance phenomenon For another, frightening, example of this physical phenomenon see

·
Registered
576 Posts
Chris

I recommend getting back to the dealer and getting them to change that tyre. Do it now, don't delay. Tyres, don't wear in. They wear out.

I had a similar problem in another vehicle a while back, and while the tyre guy was able to "fix" it early on, as the tyre wore the problem reoccurred and became worse. In the end the tyre guy said he fixed the problem when I reported it in the beginning and now 12 months later it wasn't his problem. He was willing to sell me a new tyre, but not provide any compensation at all. It was a disaster. They should change the tyre and send it back to the manufacture.

My 2 cents

OB

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you I agree completely however I’m having great trouble with the dealer doing just that. It is the most frustrating thing I will never buy or lease another car from Healey Hyundai. The sales manger stopped returning my calls a week after the salesman stopped returning my texts or calls. The sick thing I would be totally loving the car except for this fact. It will probably be the last Hyundai I ever drive also. I’ll try to complain to corporate. But the amount of time I’ve put into it has sucked all the joy from the car.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Chris

Sorry to hear that a poor dealer experience has dampened your enthusiasm for your IONIQ. But I quit understand it. Take a look and see if there is a warranty on the actual tyres for things like blow outs, sidewall damage, etc. If so, perhaps you could make use of it. My new tyre guy sells tyres with a guaranty. If something happens to the tyre before it's worn out, you get a new one at a prorated cost. I've never had to use it, but it's a nice perk.

OB

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The tire warranty was the only extra that I bought with the car. So if the over inflation and driving does not work, I’ll look into that. when I was in the fiancé office the guy told me that a guy who just bought a corvette drove the car into a curb because he did not like the tires. And the were covered. I wonder if he had flat spots also. ;
;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Latest update on the Vibration Saga. Yes it's a full blown saga now. After I brought it back to the dealer and waited four hours they rotated one tire on the rim and rebalanced. The vibration was still there. Made another appointment wrote a letter explaining my plight to the dealership and they responded quickly and professionally. This time when I brought in the car the put me in a rental and gave assurances that the car would be 100%. When I spoke with them they confirmed the vibration, re mounted and balanced all the tire and the vibration was still there, They called Hyundai Corp and they recommended changing the left drive axle, which they have to order. and possibly the right drive axle. (they ordered both just incase). They also noticed some rust on a rotor which they either removed or replaced.

The axle won't arrive until after Christmas, so we wait. to be continued . . . Thanks to all for the great input and advice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If I were them I would just change the tires before going through the hassle of changing drive axles, just in case.

But if they got the green light from Hyundai to change them under warranty, why not?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts