Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ioniq owners!

I would maybe like to own a Hyundai Ioniq one day, but I'm wondering: With the back seat folded back as low as possible, and the front seats moved as closely to the front window as possible, would it be possible to create a sleeping space for two this way, length-wise? I see other people do it with other cars like Priusses and Leafs so I'm wondering if this would be possible in this Ioniq? Thanks in advance for measuring!

iet (Netherlands)

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
For the Ioniq Electric it may be a problem that the back seats are not completely flat when folded down. Probably the available length will be OK; with front seats still normal I measured at least 165 cm (for my mountainbike).

Reactions: iet

·
Registered
251 Posts
Great question, iet!

You're absolutely right about people being able to stretch out and sleep in the back of a Prius. My wife and I are both relatively slim and short (164 and 170 cm, respectively), and we often car-camp overnight in our 2004 Prius. It has plenty of room in the back to spread out Thermarest mattresses and sleeping bags, with space around the edges to store odds and ends like extra clothes and food (so bears and other wildlife can't get to it). In fact, it's possible to recline the front seats after moving them to the most-forward position so, with the headrests removed, they add about six inches of nearly level space to the length of the back area.

Based on the specs and on the kind help of members of this forum, it seems that the back of the Ioniq with the rear seats folded SHOULD be long enough to sleep in. I hope to address my few remaining concerns about the height and width of the area, and the flatness of the floor, as soon as I see the car in the flesh. They're due in the U.S. SOON, if all the hype is true.

Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your answers!

Fingers crossed, and hoping we will know more details in 9 days... and a bit ;-) Would be great if someone was able to show a picture of an inflatable matress or something like that in there... Maybe the Prius trick with the front seats folded as well, is also possible in the Ioniq EV? Of course you will have to have some makeshift wooden panel to create a steady and reasonably flat bed... I think it would win quite a few people over! Meanwhile, good luck counting off the days! :) Exciting!

·
Registered
344 Posts
You know, I've never thought about doing this ever before, and it sounds genius ! By the looks of the Ioniq electric picture above, it seems perfectly do-able. But I'm a short guy so.. heh.. I can make myself fit anywhere. Subbed nonetheless, really wanna know this info !

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
only issue will be the weight on the battery if in an EV, we really need to pin down permitted loads on the battery pack and boot floors
I don't understand: Human bodies (legs to be exact) should not weigh as much as heavy crates with milk cartons, juice and bottles, concentrated on a tiny space, I would think? You don't have to enter through the back, I'd crawl in through a side door... so only the legs would lay down there, most weight would be elsewhere. btw my husband and I measure about 1.75.

·
Registered
251 Posts
True, bluecar1, although that may not be as big an issue in the Hybrid.

While I haven't found it necessary to do this in my Prius, I suppose a sheet of plywood cut to fit the cargo area would help distribute the load.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I don't understand: Human bodies (legs to be exact) should not weigh as much as heavy crates with milk cartons, juice and bottles, concentrated on a tiny space, I would think? You don't have to enter through the back, I'd crawl in through a side door... so only the legs would lay down there, most weight would be elsewhere. btw my husband and I measure about 1.75.
the even load when you are laying down is not the issue, but the point load from you hands and knees as you crawl in is the issue as all your weight is on 4 small points of contact points
the battery pack under the back seat must be able to take a fair load as you can sit on it with only the seat bottom to spread the load of a person, not sure if the battery casing is as strong under the boot floor

·
Registered
251 Posts
You're absolutely right, iet.

When we car-camp in our Prius, we set up the Thermarest mattresses and sleeping bags through the hatch, but then enter through the rear doors to get into sleeping position. Most of our weight is on the folded seatback, not on the trunk floor, and, even then, I think the human body distributes the load fairly well. I don't see it as an issue in the Ioniq unless the trunk floor is just a thin piece of cardboard.

BTW, always remember to turn OFF the dome lights and cargo compartment lights while all this is going on to avoid draining the battery! That's why it's a good idea to set up all the sleeping paraphernalia before it gets too dark to see what you're doing. Even the best battery-powered headlamps are not as good as plain old daylight!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Ioniq owners!

I would maybe like to own a Hyundai Ioniq one day, but I'm wondering: With the back seat folded back as low as possible, and the front seats moved as closely to the front window as possible, would it be possible to create a sleeping space for two this way, length-wise? I see other people do it with other cars like Priusses and Leafs so I'm wondering if this would be possible in this Ioniq? Thanks in advance for measuring!

iet (Netherlands)

The is a good topic. I have watched drag racing at Santa Pod in the UK for 44 years. I have slept in my car many times when I was a young man. Now my wife wants some luxury so we have a caravan. Now I want an Ioniq Electric so I can not tow/use a caravan so back to sleeping in car. I will do this:

Move front seats forward as much as possible. Lower rear seats. Fit deflated/soft air bed in rear of Ioniq. Inflate air bed so it "fits" Ioniq rear. Open bottle of red wine - enjoy your evening/night!

Do not worry about battery! It is encased/enclosed in steel incase/because of accident! In the BEV it has a large plastic air duct which vents the battery and supports the floor and a plastic moulding for heating/cooling. See the pictures on this site.

In the HEV/PHEV the battery is under the rear seat. You will have no problem with that . . . . . . unless you are loving his brains out !!"

Lots of love to you both, Torchy.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
I found this at the German Website here. They indicate 185 cm when the front seats are most to the front.
Probably this is not the electric but the hybrid.

Attachments

Reactions: iet and Jay

·
Registered
69 Posts
I found the two attached pictures on the Norwegian Ioniq Owners Group on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/1709877845942720/ ). Notice the captions.

Plus, I've measured my own car. See the attached. Should be sufficient room lengthwise to sleep but the floor is not entirely flat, and a sheet of plywood is probably a good idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
If it's enclosed in a steel case, there really shouldn't be any reason to worry about the weight on top of it no? May damage the cardboard floor but that's potentially it ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Indeed. I wouldn't worry about the battery. The cardboard floor on the other hand doesn't seem very sturdy, at least not for a point-load. A plywood sheet could also perhaps contribute to a flatter / less bumpy base under, say, an inflatable mattress.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts