Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Silent Electric Motors and the Wildlife

11K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Admiral 
#1 ·
So.. nearly killed a squirrel today and several birds. I live in a tiny village and animals are everywhere, which I like. I came to a quick stop today when a squirrel clearly didn't hear me coming and ran across the road. I stopped just before I hit him and he froze in the road and ran back to the pavement. Poor thing, think he sh*t himself.

Anyway.. Canadian friends will know, in Canada, a lot of people put these whistle type things on their cars so when you drive, wind blows through and it emits a sound only animals can hear. I think we used them for moose at the time but I wonder if they will work on all animals. I just couldn't live with myself if I killed one and so far, in several years of driving, I have only had one incident when a pigeon decided to fly into my windshield and it was horrible. :crying:

Birds also seem to be oblivious as I drive up to them on the road, they don't fly away as they should! I don't like it :(

Reactions: iet
#5 ·
Omg that's actually really sad and a scary thought. I love animals too darn much so even the creeping up and hitting the horn thing makes me feel bad to be honest lol. I would definitely think about getting those whistles installed though, I think they're called deer whistles or something?

I have heard they could either work or they're like snake oil... phony. So I'm really not too sure.

#10 · (Edited)
I wish I lived in a nice quiet area like yours where animals are on the road all the time, TKGDee! Here, we just have to make sure you treat every cyclist and pedestrian as a nervous horse: Pass them slowly and gently in your electric car so you don't spook them. When not in a busy city but in nature, I just it drive slower than I would a gas car, so I can stop in time for an animal on the road. Have noticed in the four years we drive electric now, that birds notice our car a little bit later. Opening your window a bit with loud music playing can help, also for cyclists on a narrow road in front of you. ;-) People are going to adjust to cars and buses making less noice, animals will, too, over time. It's up to us, electric drivers, to mind our speed and mind the creatures around us :).

Or do you want this sound to spook the wildlife? Personally, can't wait to have our motorway nearby turn completely silent though... and hear the birds sing, instead of engines roaring...

#11 ·
About 1.5 week ago, I joined the e-parade, a cue of ca. 750 electric vehicles doing a track of 8 km on a motorway and then coming back on the other side of the road. So at a certain moment the electric vehicles were on both sides of the road and when I opened the window it was ...... almost silent! I hope that will be the future soon on our roads and in our cities....

#12 ·
Love it! I live in the country but neat a busy A road so I have a slight constant drone of cars which would be nice to erase. I definitely dream of a much cleaner, quieter world but I wonder what that will mean for the boy racing chavs of the world lol

Car meets sound awesome, which is why I really want us in the UK to do one. Just seeing that many Ioniq's in one place will be amazing!

#17 ·
Haha I wasn't convinced for a long time.. and of course everyone in my family smokes.. coffee and cigarettes for breakfast.. maybe a croissant.. with a cigarette while you eat it. Lol although I never did that!

But with the area I work in and the noticeable smell, lack of taste, nevermind the carcinogens.. well, it had to be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.