Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'm considering the IONIQ PHEV as my next car for the end of 2017. Of course your opinion will be biased (like everyone's) but I'd like to hear what you think, especially if there's somebody who thinks I shouldn't for some reason.

My requirements are:
● Price under 35000 €
● Boot size of at least 360 litres under the cover
● Hatchback or 5 door sedan
● Seats 5
● AEB interurban and lane keeping system as a bare minimum
● Max 5.2 l/100 km; no full electric unfortunately, as I must be able to travel and refuel to remote areas
● Max 0..100 km/h in 10.9 seconds
● Max 183 cm wide, max 455 cm long
● No diesel
● No leather
● No ugly cars (as subjective as this may be, the new Prius makes me want to pull my eyes out)

My priorities are:
1. Safety
2. Environmental-friendliness and future-proofness
3. Fun handling, good for agile driving in mixed urban, heavy traffic and mountain road situations.
4. Boot size
5. High tech and equipment
6. Small size

With this in mind, and provided Mazda doesn't upgrade the Mazda3 somehow, I came to the conclusion that the IONIQ PHEV would be the best choice. It means I get a mostly electric car (hopefully... if it can accelerate) or half-electric car from Monday to Friday, and a regular eco-friendly car on weekends and holidays.

I'm mostly concerned about how well it handles for an aggressive big-city driver, and I can't test it yet as the PHEV is not out yet, but I guess people with a IONIQ hybrid can help me here as it should drive pretty similarly. I do mostly busy, slow, urban motorways and mountain roads in the middle of nowhere.

I currently drive a Honda Jazz (the ~1100 kg, 99 HP one), which I love because it's very agile for heavy traffic and urban driving, good enough for the countryside as it's small and good at lower speeds, very noisy beyond 130 km/h but I don't care for high speeds; I care about agility and handling, aggressive acceleration, fast cornerning and beating the averages in busy motorways.

With this in mind, would I like the IONIQ hybrid?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hi there, I'm no expert and I don't drive in the same country but I love my hybrid. I was on this very same forum 3 months ago waiting to be convinced this was the right idea and I definitely do not regret it.

My priorities seem to match many of yours at the time. I did a lot of miles, the fully EV was too expensive, I don't need a big car (there's only me) but I like big cars, and I really wanted to move away from fossil fuels. The Prius is hideous and many people at the time told me the Ioniq looked the same, it doesn't.. unless you judge a whole car by the fact it shares a split rear window.

The ioniq is beautiful, spacious and drives like a dream. It has all the gadgets you could want, advanced cruise control takes some getting used to but once mastered it will be your best friend. I use mine all the time. There's a post on here about mpg and it is good on every road type but better in urban.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them!

Edit: Steering wheel is leather but the rest of the fabrics are not and they are very nice and comfortable. The dash and panels are made from natural and recycled materials and have a nice feel to them. I just wish they'd used a higher percentage of recycled materials.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
970 Posts
Sound like you need a Porsche!
Seriously though, I'm not sure I or anybody can really answer the questions you raise as there seem to be a number of contradictory requirements. On the one hand you drive a small low powered car and say you are happy with it, yet on the other hand you ask for sports car performance and handling with aggressive driving (ref. your post on red line and manual), at a budget price, but still expecting to achieve very good fuel economy. I am not aware of any car that can achieve all this.
Regarding the Ioniq, I have had the BEV on extended test and liked it so much I ordered one when I returned the Demo. The Ioniq is not a sports car in any of it's guises, and is not intended to be, but in my opinion it is a very well equipped and designed high level of equipment car with good comfort, ride, handling and performance whilst offering, with careful light accelerator foot driving, very good economy......BUT IT IS NOT A SPORTS CAR. If this fits with your requirements then the Ioniq should be on your short list.
As to which of the 3 models you choose I think it depends on the type of driving you do and the distances involved. For me the BEV is a perfect fit as I don't envisage ever needing to drive it more than 250km in one hit, have my own PV system to charge the battery and easy access to public chargers. I feel the HEV is better suited to medium to long distance, reasonable speed (80- 100km/hr) journeys, but not much slow going in cities, while the PHEV would be better suited where there is a good deal of city driving involving distances of up to about 40km as these could be done entirely on electric power, assuming light accelerator foot, and thus achieve greater fuel economy. These are only my thoughts, HEV owners may be able to provide better info.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
best thing is go test drive a hybrid, as the engine and gearbox are the same

the differences are the bigger battery and a electric motor which is about a third more powerful

it will give you a feel for the car, all the toys (aeb, smart cruise, lkas etc.) then you can either discount it or decide to wait for the PHEV later in the year

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them!
Thanks for your reply. What did you drive before, and would you say the IONIQ is more fun, same fun, or less fun to drive than that car?

Sound like you need a Porsche!
Seriously though, I'm not sure I or anybody can really answer the questions you raise as there seem to be a number of contradictory requirements. On the one hand you drive a small low powered car and say you are happy with it, yet on the other hand you ask for sports car performance and handling with aggressive driving (ref. your post on red line and manual), at a budget price, but still expecting to achieve very good fuel economy. I am not aware of any car that can achieve all this.
Heh, that's the point :) . I want all-in-one, and if they had cars that did my laundry while I drive, I would want one with that too. Out of my requirements, the IONIQ fits all, and out of my priorities, safety and environmental-friendliness are ahead of fun, so it doesn't mean that I wouldn't be interested; I'm just trying to see if it'll feel like a truck or if I'll actually have some fun driving this.

I'm not looking for a sports car though; just a swift one with decent specs. I've bought the Jazz (a manual one) fun enough to drive and very lively under 100 Km/h; very convenient for urban and heavy traffic driving, and more than decent decent for mountain roads (if you don't mind a lot of switching), which is what I usually do. I can't match a non-entry-level BMW if they floor it, but I can get in the middle far more easily and react very quickly with it. On top of that, there's a lot more to handling, feedback and fun than power. Suspension, body roll, how the wheel, pedals and gear stick feel, how much feedback they give you, how noisy is the engine, wind noise making it inside, etc.

So my question is: if I'm happy with that car, would I like how the IONIQ drives and handles at speeds under 100? It's about 50% heavier, but about 50% more powerful as my current car, which means it could accelerate about the same, in theory, but it'll have more inertia which means it could feel too "comfortable" for my taste, and it's over half a metre longer, but shorter and thus it should have less body roll. Weight distribution is very different too (though this would favour the Jazz as it's much heavier in the front, relatively, which you want for FWD).

And yeah, there are environmentally-minded and frugal people who still want the car to be fun to drive, it shouldn't be a contradictory requirement :) . That's the kind of customer Tesla caters to, and I would wait and get a Model 3 if I had plenty of charging stations, but for the time being I can't do that; a full electric car simply won't take me where I need at the moment.

best thing is go test drive a hybrid, as the engine and gearbox are the same
I'll test drive the PHEV one once it's out, and compare it to some alternatives in the same week. One alternative could be the Audi A3 sportback with the CoD ultra engine, which is not hybrid but pretty frugal. It will feel better to drive (it better!), but I expect the difference not to be that big under 80. I basically want to see that I'm not missing out on too much.

·
Registered
Ioniq EV SE 2017 (UK spec)
970 Posts
I had the BEV on an extended test drive and concluded it met all my requirements in terms of ride, handling, acceleration and cabin noise, though I did drive it fairly conservatively bearing in mind the £1,000 excess if I dinged it. I can't compare it to the HEV, but expect that to be similar, though the BEV probably has a slightly lower CofG and a bit more torque at low speeds.
Anybodies opinion is always going to be personal and different from anybody else. As Bluecar says the only sure way is for you to take a test drive. Why not try the HEV while you wait for the PHEV? I'm sure they will be pretty similar, except due to the bigger battery and electric engine the PHEV may have more low speed get up and go and a lower CofG.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
2 things you've said there, Tesla and Audi A3... we've got the same tastes.... except you drive a Honda Jazz.. >.< on that fact alone I'd say the Ioniq is a step up. :/

Personally, I'm a total environmental freak but also a petrol-head so you can imagine my dilemma. I'd have a v8 mustang if I could and an Audi was definitely on my radar when I was looking at cars 3 months ago. Tesla would have given me the green cred but also completely out of my price range.

So looking at the affordable EV or hybrid EV cars we've got the obvious Prius, Mitsubishi i-miEV, Ford C-Max.. not great.

Spend a bit more and you can get the Nissan Leaf or a Fiat 500E. All hideous in my opinion.

Or you can go for a focus or golf EV and just feel like you're in a regular car.

The Ioniq makes me feel like I'm driving something futuristic but good looking and doesn't overdo it like the BMW i3 which makes me cringe. i think the Ioniq finds a nice balance.

I used to drive a 2l focus tdci, before that a vectra and it's not comparable. It's just too different. Yes the Ioniq is comfortable, but it's got a lot of body roll, so you don't 'forget' you're driving.. it's steering is light and sometimes I do just feel like I'm gliding from place to place but I like that. The car in general, to me, feels a lot lighter than it should at times but then I have no cargo.

It's also not unreliable when you need to quickly overtake or do a quick last minute manoeuvre, which is something I worried about before buying.

The car is being sold on its economy and environmental credentials And that's what it's best at but in my opinion, it's also good at everything else :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts