Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all.

I’m considering buying the 2020 model of the HEV (because I have no convenient means of charging the PHEV or BEV). One concern is that my short commute won’t allow me to benefit much from the fuel economy of the hybrid. My daily drive is a five mile round trip: 2.5 miles up a hill to work, then back home down the same hill. Can anyone let me know the mpg of the Ioniq for short journeys?

Thanks for any info,

Adam

PS: Apologies if this has been asked before. I did a forum search and couldn’t find anything.
PPS: Yes I do sometimes cycle to work 0:)

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Good question. What mpg are you getting in your current car?

My suspicion is that you will get 30 mpg tops going up the hill, and if the engine doesn't run to warm the engine on the way back, the meter will say 99.9 for the trip back. Would be a total guess for your round trip mpg.

See if the dealer will let you borrow it for one day so you can cold start it in the morning and see what the round trip yields. The ride back to the dealer will give you a good idea of the mpg you actually got on your commute.

I will say that the BEV or PHEV will be far more efficient for your use case. If this is all you use your car for, you will only have to charge the PHEV every other day or so. See if your employer will allow you to plug in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Adam,

My 2017 Ioniq HEV gets 52mpg(U.S.) in summer and 42mpg in winter. This is on 2 to 3 mile trips, seperated by hours of being parked. This is stop and go, with an average speed of 20mph.

When I take runs of 20 to 30 miles at a time, a couple of times a week, at speeds of 50 to 70 mph, my MPG's will inch up a bit.

In my opinion, I should have purchased a PHEV, but they were not available to me in June 2017.

So, I have what I have. But I am very happy with it. After 2 years, I have rolled up only 13,000mi.(90% of which are the 2 to 3 mile trips). And in my opinion, this is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Good luck with your decision,

G.W.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Very difficult to put a figure on that one . My commute had a similar start to yours i.e. approximately 2.5 mile hill climb from cold and , if I remember correctly , came in around the mid 30s mpg . It's a totally different story coming back of course ...99.9 mpg . So it's a swings and roundabouts situation , though I suspect it will have better overall returns than any other comparable car .
Is it a constant uphill climb or does it have dips ? There are ways to maximise your return like leaving AC off when the car's cold ,more so on the downhill journey .

·
Registered
91 Posts
The thing about short journeys is that the engine will probably come on for a while when you start off no matter what. It stays on longer if you are using either heating or aircon. This means that you are using some fuel even on the downhill strecthes. I have a similay journey (7 miles each way with a 330 meter descent going into work and the opposite returning home) with heavy traffic for part of the trip and average 55-57 (UK) mpg.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
The thing about short journeys is that the engine will probably come on for a while when you start off no matter what. It stays on longer if you are using either heating or aircon. This means that you are using some fuel even on the downhill strecthes. I have a similay journey (7 miles each way with a 330 meter descent going into work and the opposite returning home) with heavy traffic for part of the trip and average 55-57 (UK) mpg.
Short journeys will always invoke a reduction in achieved MPG - expect around 50-55mpg.

My 5-7 mile commute in a HEV would also bring my consumption down from 70+ mpg to an average of 50-53 mpg, depending on weather. I learned to lie with it and took advantage of long runs to `up` the MPG.

Reactions: AdamInKent

·
Registered
409 Posts
I drive 90 miles round trip per day and I average about 57-58 MPG. I've been seeing this number for 2 weeks and it hasn't changed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What did you get in the end adam?
Thanks all that took the time to answer my question. My shortlist is now a mild hybrid Golf or the Ioniq HEV (to replace a petrol Golf). So I’m waiting for the new Golfs to be launched before I make any decision. (My current car is 10 years old with 86k miles on the clock and still a good drive, so I’m not in any rush.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts