Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just put a deposit down on an Ioniq 5 Premium in Shooting Star Grey. My Wife loves the colour, but after thinking about it, we are really unsure on the matte finish in terms of long term durability. I was thinking of getting it ceramic coated by a detailer post purchase, which should certainly help with the cleaning, but I've read a lot about how hard it is to keep them looking good and that any chip/scratch would probably need a respray - which all sounds like a lot of hassle (and expensive!)

We can change the colour, but the Shooting Star Grey is due to be delivered in Nov/Dec and another colour won't be available until Feb/March time. We have a nice part exchange value locked in with the dealer on my Wife's current car, but that would need to be revalued if we changed the colour for Feb/March time due to volatility of used car prices.

So the question is, can anyone comment on the Shooting Star Grey (or GG matte) colour first hand? Will it be a nightmare to maintain or are we just fussing for nothing...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through the same dilemma and decided I didn't want to own a car when I was constantly worried about the paintwork.

Having to get full panel resprays and the risk of bad colour matches wasnt worth it.

I know my wife would just end up not wanting to drive the car.

Changed order, now waiting for some point next year.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So the question is........Shooting Star Grey........Will it be a nightmare to maintain.
A total nightmare!!

If you want your car to be a daily driver then SSG is probably the worst paint colour/type currently on the market place today.

If you love cars and have a need to maintain them meticulously then the second best day of owning an SSG Matte painted car will be the day you pick it up while the best day of ownership will be the day you get rid of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A total nightmare!!

If you want your car to be a daily driver then SSG is probably the worst paint colour/type currently on the market place today.

If you love cars and have a need to maintain them meticulously then the second best day of owning an SSG Matte painted car will be the day you pick it up while the best day of ownership will be the day you get rid of it.
Well you certainly aren't sitting on the fence on this one 🤣 Thanks for the input though, sort of confirming my thoughts...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well you certainly aren't sitting on the fence on this one 🤣 Thanks for the input though, sort of confirming my thoughts...
Yes, sorry good mate but IMO honesty is the best policy.

There are a few fanboy guys out there who will say that SSG is the best thing since sliced bread but I would suggest that dark Matte is best on show cars and on high end vehicles which come out a few times a year on sunny days.

The whole Matte paint-thing on the Hyundai I5 and Kia EV6 models make the two cars standout but, that being said; give it a year or two of driving in the UK and then tell me how well they've survived. This will have an effect on future part exchange prices too.

Enough of my waffle though, it's up to you and I wish you all the best with your decision.

SB

·
Registered
55 Posts
I drove a demonstrator in shooting star grey at the weekend, and it does look absolutely fantastic - better than any other colour, I think. However, I have decided that it's too big a risk and will try to pick a second favourite.
Si.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also waiting on a SSG Premium and went through the same dilemma. All things considered I'm going to give it a go - there are mixed opinions on the ease of maintenance but people will argue it till their blue in the face either way. It comes down to personal choice as others have said; for me (I'm leasing) I weighed up the cost of the coatings and regular maintenance vs how much I really loved the colour (in the flesh it's fantastic - by far my favourite colour) and made my choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a veloster in matt grey very similar to this color and I drove it for 8 years and honestly it wasn't a problem to keep it looking good. I washed it at home with the products hyundai provided. This year it got smashed and the side by a nice lady and I was worried the repair job would look bad but again nothing to worry about. I'll link photos if I can find them.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm happy with my choice.

It's the only colour I truly liked and as I'm spending nearly £50k of my own money I didn't want a "that'll do I guess" colour.

I'm going to get a ceramic coating applied pretty quickly and then try my best to look after it.

Any colour will end up looking rubbish if you don't look after it. Black has been the most pain in the rear colour on previous cars I've owned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I originally ordered SSG, due for delivery end Dec. After mucho research, have swapped to Phantom Black, which is due at end Feb. Happy that I've made the right decision. To be honest though, I'm not a meticulous car owner and just wasn't prepared to put in the extra work to keep it looking good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the all the feedback. Given that it will be a daily driver with two kids, I think we're going to swap it for a "glossy" colour. We probably could get away with it, as I'm sure some people will have a positive experience, but we plan to keep the car for about 5 years and don't want have it niggling in the back of our minds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

Just put a deposit down on an Ioniq 5 Premium in Shooting Star Grey. My Wife loves the colour, but after thinking about it, we are really unsure on the matte finish in terms of long term durability. I was thinking of getting it ceramic coated by a detailer post purchase, which should certainly help with the cleaning, but I've read a lot about how hard it is to keep them looking good and that any chip/scratch would probably need a respray - which all sounds like a lot of hassle (and expensive!)

We can change the colour, but the Shooting Star Grey is due to be delivered in Nov/Dec and another colour won't be available until Feb/March time. We have a nice part exchange value locked in with the dealer on my Wife's current car, but that would need to be revalued if we changed the colour for Feb/March time due to volatility of used car prices.

So the question is, can anyone comment on the Shooting Star Grey (or GG matte) colour first hand? Will it be a nightmare to maintain or are we just fussing for nothing...

Thanks in advance!
Just got the shooting star grey car yesterday. Have to say it looks spectacular, not sure about potential repair issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys. Silly question. Why isn't anyone thinking to wrap the car in a protective film ( transparent or not ). This way the paint remains 100% untouched, and the car still looks good.. Just a thought ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine looks great in my driveway. I'm planning on getting a matte clear bra for it, they said it shouldn't make much change to the paint. Also I believe the car is already sprayed in a matte clear coat because at angles the roof is a bit reflective. I got the awd sel ssg 2 days ago

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same here, I've had my Ultimate SSG since Feb and also no regrets. I was concerned at first but washing it has been a breeze. I also like the fact it doesn't show dirt between car washes. Big improvement from my last car that was gloss black.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree that the gray matte color is the best looking, but after 5 minutes of research, I decided that there was no way I wanted to put in the amount of work that it would take to maintain that paint. Life is too short to have a car that would have constant anxiety over. I put in my order for digital teal. But it might work for some people. You do you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would never have selected SSG but had no choice in the color when I received notice that a SEL AWD had arrived unexpectedly at the dealer and was not yet spoken for. I probably would have selected one of the other colors, maybe black or white and I even had a Limited Teal on order back in February but cancelled since it was going nowhere. Now that I have the Shooting Star I really like the color and the way it brings out the spaceship appearance of the car. I'm a bit of a fanatic and have been on the garaged at night and washed twice/week program for 25 years. I go to the self service coin operated car wash, use foam gun first to cover the car with soap, then use brush on wheels/tires, then squirt with high pressure soap then brush front and back glass, high pressure rinse, finish with no spot rinse then full speed freeway to blow off. 2 or 3 times a month do the full glass cleaning with alcohol based product. Looks great!!

·
Premium Member
'22 Ioniq 5 SE RWD (formerly '21 Ioniq PHEV SEL)
187 Posts
After getting my I5 in black (having never had a black car before), I realized how every imperfection, piece of dirt, etc. is instantly visible in the paintwork. I opted for a full front PPF with ceramic coating over the whole car, including the PPF itself. It was an expensive addition, but I've not looked back. Every time I approach the car now I get a bit giddy about how it looks. I will never again own a car that doesn't get at least a ceramic coating. I'm completely sold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts