Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
-
Wow - Some great info in this video. I am going to test this on my Kia Soul EV.
Be warned though - reading the comments I notice that some people have bricked their navi unit when trying to install the required software.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just publishing raw figures obtained at turtle and following with 100% charge:

Turtle:
Battery Voltage: 320.7V
Average Cell Voltage: 3.341V
SOC BMS/Display: 5.5%/4.5%

Charge +28kWh:
Battery Voltage: 392.6V
Average Cell Voltage: 4.09V
SOC BMS/Display: 91.5%/96%

Charge +1.3kWh:
Battery Voltage: 396.8V
Average Cell Voltage: 4.133V
SOC BMS/Display: 95%/100%

Feel free to interpret those figures. I will get back to it a bit later.
If we assume the linear BMS SOC between 91-100% and 4.2V highest voltage of Li-ion cell for quick estimate, we would arrive to the following conclusion:

1. BMS SOC accuracy?
4.133V - 4.09V = 0.043V = 3.5%, SOC = 1.3kWh => 0.0123V = 1% = 0.3714kWh
4.2V - 4.133V = 0.067V => 5.4% SOC => proves BMS SOC is accurate at the top.

2. What is total battery capacity?
The problem is we still do not know what is the total capacity of the battery is. It is clear though that BMS SOC is
accurate.

a. (1.3kWh) We could derive total capacity from the the fact 1% of capacity = 0.3714kWh. So total
capacity should be around: 37.14 kWh. Hm, there was some leaked info about 202? Ionic EV would have
38.5kWh. Is it possible they just were referring to the real capacity of the current EV battery?

b. (28kWh) 86% = 28kWh => would arrive at 32.56kWh.

3. Safety buffers?
The safe buffer is 5% at the top and not sure about bottom buffer, the 3.341V @ 5.5% BMS SOC is also strange
as it is a bit too low for Li-Ion cell in general.

All I know the nominal usable is ~32kWh at low temp. I have to wait till summer to figure it a bit better (I am expecting it to grow to 34kWh at 80F).

Interesting the fact at high SOC Display is more optimistic and at low SOC it flips around and becomes more pessimistic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Found some info on minimal discharge voltage for Li-ion far all types of cells: 2.8–3.0V.

Assuming 3.0V is 0% SOC:

3.341V - 3.0V = 0.341V = 5.5% => ??? not enough data to approximate. I would need to take a few measurements to determine it. The V-to-SOC is similar to what is happening at top end. So we could try to use same figures from the top to apply to the bottom end
0.0123V = 1% = 0.3714kWh => 0.341V delta = 27.72% SOC = 10kWh. Something is wrong, but it looks like the bottom buffer is way bigger that top one for sure.

Lets calculate it different way: if we take into account Temperature compensation @ 32F, then 3.341V would put SOC = 15%, so BOM SOC 5.5% is not a true figure.
Knowing approximately usable capacity ~ 32kWh, then the bottom buffer = 4.8kWh - 1.76kWh(5.5% BMS) = 3kWh or close to ~ 10% SOC

And finally, we could deduct approximate total battery capacity: 3 + 32 + 1.6 = 35.6kWh.

Note: all my readings were around freezing point 32F, but if I recall correctly battery was ~48F. Total battery capacity decreases by ~3% at this temp. Also, I should have used 2.8V as it is true 0%. 3.0V I used just to be on the safe side and reduce any error in assumptions and I used lowered values of usable capacity to calculate buffers as we do not know the real capacity. The end result actually aligned very close with 37.14kWh calculated from 1.3kWh data sample.

Please, comment if you see any errors or wrong assumptions.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would need more data to work on the bottom buffer as temp is critical to determine SOC and I did not capture enough samples to model.

If we assume the battery temp was 48F - it would put SOC at 91%, so the BMS SOH would be 9 - 5.5 = 4% below real capacity. Also, the total capacity is reduced by 2% at 48F, I think we could round it up to 5% for bottom buffer.

So if we assume 5% buffers on top and bottom, the real capacity would be: 1.6 + 32 +1.6 = 35.2kWh.

34kWh figure should not have much of a doubt at this point.

For example Tesla has ~ 2% buffer (top+bottom) total on 100kWh battery. This is why Tesla offers a SOC limiter option to prolong battery life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi. I managed almost everything to get torque installed with one “litlle” thing missing- i can not add any PIDs to the torque app so it does not read anything 😢 what would be the extension of files that need to be copied to torque folder? I found some ioniq .csv files but when trying to add them though the app it does not show. Any suggestion please?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi. I managed almost everything to get torque installed with one “litlle” thing missing- i can not add any PIDs to the torque app so it does not read anything 😢 what would be the extension of files that need to be copied to torque folder? I found some ioniq .csv files but when trying to add them though the app it does not show. Any suggestion please?
EDIT - got it, files need to go to extendedpids subfolder, not directly ti .torque folder..

·
Registered
35 Posts
EDIT - got it, files need to go to extendedpids subfolder, not directly to .torque folder..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
-
There's a new version of the SoulEVSpy available that contains a working voltage heatmap for the battery cells.
Download the latest app from https://github.com/langemand/SoulEVSpy
-
It's working also on my Hyundai BlueOn Electric. Can someone test it on the Ioniq Electric and if working post a screenshot.

·
Registered
55 Posts
-
There's a new version of the SoulEVSpy available that contains a working voltage heatmap for the battery cells.
Download the latest app from https://github.com/langemand/SoulEVSpy
-
It's working also on my Hyundai BlueOn Electric. Can someone test it on the Ioniq Electric and if working post a screenshot.

I tried it yesterday on my Ioniq EV, but all I got was that it connected to the Konwei 902, then nothing. Blank screen. I tried diconnecting the Konwei and reconnecting, but to no avail. The other pages were also blank (tirre pressure, BMS, etc).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I tried it yesterday on my Ioniq EV, but all I got was that it connected to the Konwei 902, then nothing....
thanks zonoskar for testing this.
could you post the logfiles. there are two files a .txt and a .csv in the downloads folder of your phone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
thanks zonoskar for testing this.
could you post the logfiles. there are two files a .txt and a .csv in the downloads folder of your phone.
Here you go! Hope you get it to work. (rename both *.csv.txt files to *.csv, I wasn't allowed to upload csv files)

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I can reproduce your symptoms in my '15 Soul EV by not pressing the brake pedal, when turning on the car. When brake pedal is not pressed, the car is not fully on, and all CAN-requests time out. No data is displayed.

The KW902 dongle is working and correctly shows the voltage, but cannot connect to the car's ECU because there is no CAN data. Have you also tried to use the Torque app. This behaves the same way. It will not work unless the car is fully on, or charging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can reproduce your symptoms in my '15 Soul EV by not pressing the brake pedal, when turning on the car. When brake pedal is not pressed, the car is not fully on, and all CAN-requests time out. No data is displayed.

The KW902 dongle is working and correctly shows the voltage, but cannot connect to the car's ECU because there is no CAN data. Have you also tried to use the Torque app. This behaves the same way. It will not work unless the car is fully on, or charging.
I wasn't sure I did start the car correctly, so I tried again today. But the same result. I have TorquePro and EVnotify running without problems, so that should not be the problem. However I noticed that when I switch from SoulEVSpy to EVnotify, the connection to the Konwei needs a retry. I even rebooted the phone because I thought maybe Torque would hog the bluetooth connection, but to no avail. I shot a small clip:

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

·
Registered
6 Posts
Test version of SoulEVSpy

Today on my commute to work, I left SoulEVspy running, but never got data. BTW, I'm a software developer, so maybe I could help.
I have experimentally changed some things, mainly increasing timeouts, to make the SoulEVSpy initialization sequence more like EVNotify. There is a debug build here: http://spjeldager.dk/SoulEVSpy-0.1.3-2913-debug.apk
If you test it in the Ioniq, could you let me know how it goes, and mail me .txt and .csv file examples at [email protected] ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have experimentally changed some things, mainly increasing timeouts, to make the SoulEVSpy initialization sequence more like EVNotify. There is a debug build here: http://spjeldager.dk/SoulEVSpy-0.1.3-2913-debug.apk
If you test it in the Ioniq, could you let me know how it goes, and mail me .txt and .csv file examples at [email protected] ?
Initially it shown some car info (unknown car), bms info: %, Voltages, Temp, GPS Info; but never shown anything in cell map, DC-DC. After I switched to Torque Pro and EVNotify and then quit those and reactivated SoulEVSpy, it stopped receiving any data at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Initially it shown some car info (unknown car), bms info: %, Voltages, Temp, GPS Info; but never shown anything in cell map, DC-DC. After I switched to Torque Pro and EVNotify and then quit those and reactivated SoulEVSpy, it stopped receiving any data at all.
Thanks for giving it a try. Would you mind emailing the soulspy.log.2019XXXX.txt files recorded during the two attempts to [email protected]?
It may give me a hint of what to try next.

On my phone the files are in the Download directory on the SD-card, another user of the SoulEVSpy has reported a different location.

I have removed the experimental APK linked above.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts