Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-
Here's some links on how to set up Torque to work with the S oul EV. (It also works on the Hyundai Ioniq Electric).
It would be really great if someone could create one of these help pages specifically for the Ioniq.
And report back on how these codes are working. Preferably on one of the other sites because I visit this site infrequently.

The original web page and discussion for these codes is on this forum - Setting up Torque to show BMS data
The main repository for the codes has since moved to github - https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs
There is help in English here - Setting up Torque Pro to show OBD data on Hyundai / Kia Electric Vehicles
There is help in French here - Kia SOUL EV : comment lire les différents capteurs via OBD-II
There is help in French here - [Diagnostique OBD2] Torque Pro -Android- et le Kia Soul EV.
There is help in Korean here - 토크프로 중급편 (TORQUE) 확장PID 관리 하기

-----------------------------------

Here's Torque running on an Ioniq Electric in Korea.

Nice graphic from German Ioniq user. Car starts at 100% SOC on top of small hill. Recuperates on the way down. and increases the batteries voltage.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have been struggling with my OBD2 adapter to get it recording the Kia Soul PID parameters. No succes.To my surprise the ECU delivers only 5 standard parameters to the adapter. None if them is related to the BMS of my hybrid Ioniq. After reading some reviews on the Kia forum I learned that there is a lot of cheap crapware in clone OBD2 adapters. These clones have instable connections, are non full OBD2 compliant , very slow and not sensitive for non-CanBus parameters which seem to be relevant in hybrids. Thus very likely my adapter is junk, given the very cheap price. Pity. Im now heading for a OBDlink LX adapter, as recommended on this KIA forum. Price 89 euro, expensive but I trust the best choice at present.The Kia Soul is an EV. As far as I can see no one yet has evermade Torque logs for the Ioniq hybrid. So I feel as the first Trekkie astronaut heading for Mars.What will I encounter and can I ever get back?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been struggling with my OBD2 adapter to get it recording the Kia Soul PID parameters. No succes.To my surprise the ECU delivers only 5 standard parameters to the adapter. None if them is related to the BMS of my hybrid Ioniq. After reading some reviews on the Kia forum I learned that there is a lot of cheap crapware in clone OBD2 adapters. These clones have instable connections, are non full OBD2 compliant , very slow and not sensitive for non-CanBus parameters which seem to be relevant in hybrids. Thus very likely my adapter is junk, given the very cheap price. Pity. Im now heading for a OBDlink LX adapter, as recommended on this KIA forum. Price 89 euro, expensive but I trust the best choice at present.The Kia Soul is an EV. As far as I can see no one yet has evermade Torque logs for the Ioniq hybrid. So I feel as the first Trekkie astronaut heading for Mars.What will I encounter and can I ever get back?
Good luck using these codes on the Ioniq Hybrid. Please report back.

-------------------------

Meanwhile from Germany.
Overload the Hyundai I oniq Electric to a virtual "101%" battery SOC through regenerative braking.

Since I'm living on a small mountain I was wondering what will happen if I charge my Ioniq to 100% and regenerate more energy by driving down the mountain. As you can see it's possible to regenerate energy even if the battery shows 100%. In my case it gained energy up to 96% BMS (battery management system), which is the equivalent to 101% SOC (state of charge — what your Ioniq displays on its screen). Of course your Ioniq still shows only 100% maximum even when it's overloaded!

I used the app "Torque Pro" and the Torque plugin "Track Recorder" to record my ride.
You'll also need a bluetooth OBD2 dongle to connect your smartphone to the Ioniq to gain all the data.

·
Super Moderator
1,453 Posts
Do I understand from this that 100% SOC on the car's display in principle means 95% charge of the total battery capacity? What about 0% SOC, does that correspond to 5% charge of the total capacity? Then the usable part of the battery is 90% of the total capacity. Or does 0% SOC correspond to 0% of the total capacity? Then the usable part would be 95% of the total capacity.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do I understand from this that 100% SOC on the car's display in principle means 95% charge of the total battery capacity? What about 0% SOC, does that correspond to 5% charge of the total capacity? Then the usable part of the battery is 90% of the total capacity. Or does 0% SOC correspond to 0% of the total capacity? Then the usable part would be 95% of the total capacity.
Based various rumours and speculations on the internet, I have heard that the 28kWh battery rating claimed by Hyundai is only 80% of the real battery size. I have no idea whether it is true, but this will mask any battery deteriorations over time, hence makes the lifetime battery warranty in CA feasible.

Assuming this is correct, then battery size is 35kWh, which makes it possible to overcharge above the stated 100% SOC.

·
Super Moderator
1,453 Posts
Another "rumor" is that 90% is usable and total capacity is 31 kWh. I hope this issue can be settled once and for all by these Torque readings.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here is a list of the best seven Bluetooth ODB2 adapters. I have number 5 which works well with the PIDs of the Kia Soul EV/Ioniq EV. I got it from eBAy though and the price was about €15,-

·
Registered
776 Posts
Pmiddeld, so you have no 5 = the obdlink LX? How are you counting , from 1 to 7 or downward from 7 to 1

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another "rumor" is that 90% is usable and total capacity is 31 kWh. I hope this issue can be settled once and for all by these Torque readings.
SOC BMS does not relate to the total capacity. It is another way to measure existing usable capacity. It will always vary between 2% and 95%. Hence it cannot be used to measure either deterioration or total capacity. If someone can show me I'm wrong I'd be pleased. It would be nice to finally have an answer to the question - what is the total capacity?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did another video where I timelapsed the charging process on AC with 1 phase (32 amps) from 1% to 100%:
I started with 1% display (2,5% BMS), see screenshot (it's hard to find in the video at 0:24)!
The bottom reserve seems smaller to me than the top reserve.
And I believe that regenerating into the battery might be possible for a pretty long time (maybe even up to 100% BMS?). I haven't tested it yet, maybe someday...

0% display should be about 1,5% to 2% BMS, the bottom reserve.
If we assume it's 2%, we would have about 7% gross capacity added to the 28 kWh net.
28 x 1,07 > 29,96 kWh. So my educated guess is that it's an 30 kWh battery in the electric IONIQ.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts
Aha, I see youve replaced your first instance junk adapter too. A lot of crap is on the market. Check first on the Kia forum

·
Registered
776 Posts
Depends if we can define PIDs or identify sensors for it. Currently the cumulative amount of recharged energy is logged by using the KIA Soul EV PIDs written by Jejusoul. Regen braking energy is not identified so far. He is still working on improvement and conversion for the Hybrid. I support him by creating testlogs on my Premium SE. We'll have to give it some time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Thank you for you sharing. I have ever bought an excellent OBD2 scanner car diagnostic tool, Topdon TD300. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075S15S11. The design is fashionable, exquisite and portable to carry. Although the price is affordable, the function is perfect beyond your imagination.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's a new PID that I would like someone to check.

Can someone in a country that uses km/h for speeds confirm that this equation gives a result in miles/hour, not km/h.

003_VMCU Real Vehicle Speed,Real Speed,2101,((o<8)+n)/100,0,180,km/h,7E2

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi JejuSoul
I did a quick check on my way to work (only 5 km, 3 miles).
As far as I could see the it's the speed and it's in miles/hour (within ±2 miles).

I'll scale it for km/h and log it and have another check on my way home.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts