Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you get your car serviced? I am averaging about 600 miles per month since I bought the car in August. I spoke with an independent service company today the suggested getting the car serviced every 5,000 miles instead of 7,500 as Hyundai recommends. I always brought my Prius in every 5,000 miles for 15 years, but I never used synthetic oil like the Ioniq has in it. I would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I service the car myself. I change the oil every 7,500 miles using Full Synthetic. Sometimes, If the conventional oil is on sale and it is really cheap, I will use conventional oil and change it at 3,750 miles.

My wife has a Toyota Corolla iM and its manual said change the oil every 10,000 miles. I change it every 7,500 miles anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just my view, but I think of all the people who would know how often to service the car, Hyundai would be best placed to give reliable guidance.

It is not clear to me why service intervals have typically been much shorter in the US than many other places, for what is essentially the same hardware and the same oil. I have tended to think that it is how oil is marketed here rather than that engines destined for US use, or US oils, are deficient by comparison.

·
Registered
2019 IONIQ HEV Blue Trim | Ceramic White/Charcoal
119 Posts
Hyundai US does also say annual maintenance and oil change and I just completed service @5000 miles on the dot as I pulled the car in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In UK the 2020 hybrid requires a service every 10,000 miles or every year, whichever comes first. As you say it's strange how the same engine and car requires different service intervals depending on where it's sold. ?

·
Registered
500 Posts
It may be the way the cars are typically treated on different continents
Very few Europeans stomp on the gas and then the brakes between traffic lights.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It may be the way the cars are typically treated on different continents
Very few Europeans stomp on the gas and then the brakes between traffic lights.
You clearly haven’t met a typical driver from London or Milton Keynes!! ?

This is a perennial topic on international forums and one could be blasé and say that American oil is no good compared to European fully synthetic, but that misses the point.

I think the comment above about the way oil is historically marketed and sold in North America is completely different to anywhere else, and their total mistrust of anyone telling them what to do is so embedded in the national mind set, that Hyundai couldn’t countenance the standard 10K miles we obedient Europeans take for granted!

This is purely my observation from threads on this site and 4 years as an active member of the Outlander PHEV forum with its many members from around the world. In the spirit of friendliness fostered by this site, all other opinions are perfectly valid if they work for a member in their location.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hyundai US does also say annual maintenance and oil change and I just completed service @5000 miles on the dot as I pulled the car in.
The manual says annual maintenance is 7,500 miles and so did a service department at a dealership I spoke with today. Can you tell me where you heard or read about the 5,000 miles?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
The manual says annual maintenance is 7,500 miles and so did a service department at a dealership I spoke with today. Can you tell me where you heard or read about the 5,000 miles?
OP said "independent service company". It is also interesting to me (as with others in this thread) that Americans are so easily duped with short service intervals and oil changes. Some of it is because of historic (old) poor manufacturing processes with American car engines that often benefited from shorter oil changes than even the manufacturer recommended. Old wive's tales just live forever here. The internet has not helped.

·
Registered
2019 IONIQ HEV Blue Trim | Ceramic White/Charcoal
119 Posts
Manual shows 7500 miles OR 12 months. I am at 5000 miles/12 months.
A27E6A00-879D-4E7E-8707-55D6A6769FCF.jpeg

(2019 HEV US Manual)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
It is not uncommon for dealers to sell last year's (or earlier) models a year and more after the manufacture date. Guarantee you that none of them have the oil changed before selling them. We should sue them for not following manufacturer's maintenance intervals!

·
Registered
481 Posts
This oil thing is bantered about in most vehicle forums. In the USA it is my observation that it is the same old greed issue. Under normal operating conditions, with synthetic oil, the engines in the Ioniq would be fine with 10k oil/filter changes (remember at 10k the engine does not really have 10k on it). But greedy dealers would like to have you come in more often so thy can enhance their profit margins! The oil companies would also encourage you to do 5k changes too for the same reasons. I do all the maintenance on my Ionic and I follow the 7500 mile Hyundai schedule. I have a lift in my shop and it is easy to change the oil and filter since Hyundai put openings for the oil drain and filter. I use Hyundai filters too. While the oil is draining I inspect the drive train, brakes, exhaust, etc. I also rotate the tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i change it every 5k miles and am in the US .cost me about $25 . i suscribe to the oil is cheap engines expensive crowd. i know the color of oil does not mean much, but i was surprised how black it was when i changed it at 2k miles on the first oil change.

·
Registered
481 Posts
i change it every 5k miles and am in the US .cost me about $25 . i suscribe to the oil is cheap engines expensive crowd. i know the color of oil does not mean much, but i was surprised how black it was when i changed it at 2k miles on the first oil change.
That dark oil is due to the fact that they use petroleum based oil in new vehicles!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Please explain? What exactly happens to the oil to darken?
It is more likely to darken sooner with petroleum based oil than synthetic oils. The pistons in an ICE carry oil to the cylinders, in the combustion process some of the oil is burned, leaving a carbon deposit that finds its way to the engine oil in the crankcase. We are talking about micro amounts of carbon, but over time they turn the oil dark. With synthetic oils there is no carbon. Also, over time with any lubricant, the metals from the combustion process and metals from wear will pollute the oil and darken it. The filter removes many of these, but not all. This why it is vital to change the filter with every oil change. There is one other thing happening inside and engine and that is condensation (water). As you know water and oil do not mix well and if the condensation is not evaporated by the engine heat, it can also pollute the engine oil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Manual shows 7500 miles OR 12 months. I am at 5000 miles/12 months.
View attachment 31787
(2019 HEV US Manual)
But in the manual I got on line with my first (of 3) Ioniq, there were multiple such tables for various parts of the world, depending upon use of miles or km, and maybe other variations.
I'll attach the one that meant most to me (because of where I live and drive) It gives 10 kmiles as change interval, not 7.5 kmiles. The ice is same as in my 2013 and 2014 accents which did say 7.5 kmiles. The ioniq only runs the ice about 2/3 of the time (warm weather and on the highway) so I figure oil should change at 3/2 the number of miles. That's pretty close to 10 kmiles. And it is easy to do the math while driving. At odometer reading 17345, can go a little less than 3 kmiles more...
/home/ken/output.pdf looks like attachment won't work...
Anyway just like quoted table except Milesx1000 are 10, 20, 30, 40, etc and Kmx1000 are 15, 30, 45, 60, etc.
gotta figure out how to attach a file in my library...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts