Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
  • US ICCU Recall (aka 12V battery failure issue). Please use the following thread, this pertains to all eGMP models. Please do not create duplicate threads on this topic. Thread

Sensor(s) Activation during rainy weather

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  larrywest42 
#1 ·
Several times my 2023 SEL RWD has brought several display messages about limited safety features while its raining. Its awkward since it is not constant and may occur with light or heavy rain. Have any of you experienced this issue? Is there a way of preventing it?

#2 ·
Yep, I get that all the time in a cold rain. It seems to be the radar being blocked by either water or ice buildup. It's quite frustrating. It happened again this morning on my commute.

I may try applying a hydrophobic coating to the front of the car to help prevent water & ice buildup there. But first I want to confirm the exact location of the radar. The manual suggests that it's at the height of the headlights, slightly off-center.

Reactions: dundeeyank
#4 ·
I wonder what is different between your 2023 SEL RWD and my 2022 AWD Canadian model.

Last June in Southern Alberta, I drove through a torrential rain storm, the likes of which I had never seen in my life and I am an old fart.

The rain was so heavy that I pulled to the side of the highway and crept along slowly with the four ways on. Vision was about a cars length. While I was driving I never got a single warning message during the 20 minutes of the storm.

Found out later that I driven under a Tornado that had not touched down at that time but it did multiple times 10km later.

#9 ·
I have only had warnings about the sensors being disabled on one occasion while driving in extremely heavy rain. As soon as the rain let up the sensors came back online. Its fair to say that if the sensors are disabled your ability to drive safely in those conditions is probably also compromised.

#17 ·
I have run into two issues with the sensors:

1. At a stop light, sunny California + clean car, the front proximity sensors beep at random. This happens once or twice a week. Dealer could not find any issue with the sensors. My thinking is the ultrasonic sensors get triggered by the exhaust from the car in front of me or by wind. In any case, this should be a simple software update to make them less sensitive.

2. All safety systems went offline for three days. Then it magically fixed itself the day before the dealer appointment.

#1 is annoying, especially when on the phone or listening to music. #2 is a major issue in my opinion because I don't trust the car anymore.

What does not help: the service at the dealer is HORRIBLE. Service advisors are complete morons. I know more about this car than they do. Mechanics are sloppy and filthy and you can clearly see it on the white interior of my car...

I have/had cars from VW, Audi, MB, BMW and Subaru. Hyundai is by far the worst and I would not wish this type of service on anyone.

#18 ·

What does not help: the service at the dealer is HORRIBLE. Service advisors are complete morons. I know more about this car than they do. Mechanics are sloppy and filthy and you can clearly see it on the white interior of my car...

I have/had cars from VW, Audi, MB, BMW and Subaru. Hyundai is by far the worst and I would not wish this type of service on anyone.
I haven't had an issue in my admittedly limited service interactions with Frank Hyundai in National City, California. They seemed reasonably knowledgeable and certainly took care not to dirty my car — that's like the lowest possible bar for a service team to clear.

I don't know how many Hyundai dealers there are in your area, but if it were me, I'd go to a different one next time.

And good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.