21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD Cyber Gray
718 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just took delivery of a "preferred trim" IONIQ 5 in Canada. Love the car. But I had a bad experience the first time I got into the car to drive it at night. It was dark (of course) and when I opened the door, NO LIGHTS came on! I couldn't see anything. I knew there were map lights on the overhead console but couldn't see them. I fumbled for an On/Off switch in the dark. What I didn't see when I found something to press was that it was the Roadside Assistance button. I only found out when a voice came on asking me if this was an emergency or an error and if it was an error to press cancel. Problem was I couldn't seen where to press the cancel. I went back to the house to get a flashlight and read through the forums about this. I found the solution here (thanks). Turns out you have to manually enable the dome light to etc to turn on when the door is opened. Surely that should be an automatic function, or should be preset by the dealership before you take delivery. I hope someone from Hyundai is reading this.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just took delivery of a "preferred trim" IONIQ 5 in Canada. Love the car. But I had a bad experience the first time I got into the car to drive it at night. It was dark (of course) and when I opened the door, NO LIGHTS came on! I couldn't see anything. I knew there were map lights on the overhead console but couldn't see them. I fumbled for an On/Off switch in the dark. What I didn't see when I found something to press was that it was the Roadside Assistance button. I only found out when a voice came on asking me if this was an emergency or an error and if it was an error to press cancel. Problem was I couldn't seen where to press the cancel. I went back to the house to get a flashlight and read through the forums about this. I found the solution here (thanks). Turns out you have to manually enable the dome light to etc to turn on when the door is opened. Surely that should be an automatic function, or should be preset by the dealership before you take delivery. I hope someone from Hyundai is reading this.
[/Q
I going to hip you to a secret that not many people know so please don't spread it around to much OK promise good here you go
Your phone has a flashlight built into it

·
Registered
MY22 Ioniq 5 AWD
916 Posts
The way I see it, we are all pioneers. I am struck by the meanness I am seeing on this forum. It makes me not want to share discoveries I make because I am afraid of being ridiculed. That is no way to be. Shame.
Yeah, have to agree. Notwithstanding my flippant postscript, OP‘s comment on what is reasonable to expect from a dealer preparing a new car for collection is legitimate, and reflected understandable disappointment with what should have been joy of the new IONIQ 5 experience.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been driving for more than 50 years, many cars. Usually when you open the driver's door, the dome light comes on and if it doesn't, it has a swith on the light itself. In the case of the IONIQ5 NO lights came on whatsoever. And the switches or buttons or whatever to turn them on do not light up. So blind. go figure.
At first I thought you had me at first half and you were going to come around to get me second half.

You were dead srs. Bruh.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate AWD tech and eco in Lucid Blue
295 Posts
Yeah, have to agree. Notwithstanding my flippant postscript, OP‘s comment on what is reasonable to expect from a dealer preparing a new car for collection is legitimate, and reflected understandable disappointment with what should have been joy of the new IONIQ 5 experience.
Notwithstanding my flippant postscript, I agree re the dealer's lack of attention to detail but this is not a Hyundai 'default' setting in the way that Lane Keep Assist switches on every time you start the car - it's a switch you can turn on or off to suit you.

And if I parked my new car somewhere dark with no ambient lighting whatsoever and then opened the door and it stayed pitch black, I wouldn't launch myself headlong into the stygian gloom and fumble around in the dark for a while: I'd get the torch/smartphone (and maybe owner's manual) and then get in the car.

That said, I love how this forum is generally so open and helpful, and how rarely you see people actually posting RTFM or even STFF (search this friendly forum) in situations where I probably would.

But sometimes there are some cracking one-line comebacks, as well…

·
Registered
449 Posts
Notwithstanding my flippant postscript, I agree re the dealer's lack of attention to detail but this is not a Hyundai 'default' setting in the way that Lane Keep Assist switches on every time you start the car - it's a switch you can turn on or off to suit you.

And if I parked my new car somewhere dark with no ambient lighting whatsoever and then opened the door and it stayed pitch black, I wouldn't launch myself headlong into the stygian gloom and fumble around in the dark for a while: I'd get the torch/smartphone (and maybe owner's manual) and then get in the car.

That said, I love how this forum is generally so open and helpful, and how rarely you see people actually posting RTFM or even STFF (search this friendly forum) in situations where I probably would.

But sometimes there are some cracking one-line comebacks, as well…
Buddy don't suck on lemons its all in good fun

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
905 Posts
The way I see it, we are all pioneers. I am struck by the meanness I am seeing on this forum. It makes me not want to share discoveries I make because I am afraid of being ridiculed. That is no way to be. Shame.
You have to remember that this is an internationl forum and what those of you in America view as mean, we Brits view as nothing more than a bit of very light sarcasm. Those nations that are more sensitive by nature have to understand and accept that it's not up to us to consider your 'feelings'; as long as we're not rude or obusive, which no one in this thread has been, everything is fine.

Reactions: The IT Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is this the first car you buy? Because from my experience dealers usually leave the door light off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Turns out you have to manually enable the dome light to etc to turn on when the door is opened.
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm waiting for our IO5 to arrive, and in the meantime I am reading these little tips and appreciating them. Granted, it's not a big deal. But I appreciate the heads-up all the same.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the flippant remarks are mostly due to the histrionics of the first post. Using the word scary for this situation is a bit much I agree.

Reactions: theSeb

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the flippant remarks are mostly due to the histrionics of the first post. Using the word scary for this situation is a bit much I agree.
I noticed that the OP was posting his 1st post when he started the thread... first ever on this forum. Nothing wrong with some good-natured teasing because the post was over-the-top a bit. But I did appreciate the tidbit of info. It wasn't anything big, but all the same it was something I tucked away for when I (hopefully) get our car. Would I have figured it out anyway? Sure. But I appreciated the guy took the time to post it. This forum has been a wealth of info for me personally. Some stuff is big stuff. Other stuff like this thread has been a small thing. I appreciate all of the info though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There is chance the op is actually in Antarctica in the middle of dark winter. Then I could imagine that it may be scary without the interior light. I bet none if you have considered that possibility.

Other than that, considering how long the days are and how light the nights are in the northern hemisphere currently, I find the op’s over the top language and histrionics absolutely hilarious.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts