Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who in the past have queried the amount of data usage from the satnav for live traffic information, I have had my Huawaei Wingle and Three free data sim in the car for 2 weeks now. Typically two long runs of 2 1/4 hours a week and about 8-10 hours/week usage probably and thus far I have used a massive 15Mb of my 200Mb free allowance

·
Registered
167 Posts
Considering the map is loaded on the SD card, I would've bet my money on traffic data not using too much transfer.
Thank you for checking that in real life, happy to see it confirms even voyages on long distances won't use too much data (especially when in other countries).
Cheers!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Considering the map is loaded on the SD card, I would've bet my money on traffic data not using too much transfer.
Thank you for checking that in real life, happy to see it confirms even voyages on long distances won't use too much data (especially when in other countries).
Cheers!
Yes I had checked it by monitoring the wifi hotspot on my phone for a single 2 hour journey and it backs that up.....this is a more definitive answer over a period of time though as the Wingle only has the Ioniq satnav connected to it at any time.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don’t think traffic info has to use any data - at least some of the time.

I’m still waiting for my wifi dongle to arrive, yet the other day the satnav was displaying live traffic congestion even whilst no route was set. I was tuned to a DAB radio station, and have never tethered my phone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don’t think traffic info has to use any data - at least some of the time.

I’m still waiting for my wifi dongle to arrive, yet the other day the satnav was displaying live traffic congestion even whilst no route was set. I was tuned to a DAB radio station, and have never tethered my phone.
If no data available the SatNav will revert to TMC signal (you don't have to be listening to the same radio station) to get that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For those who in the past have queried the amount of data usage from the satnav for live traffic information, I have had my Huawaei Wingle and Three free data sim in the car for 2 weeks now. Typically two long runs of 2 1/4 hours a week and about 8-10 hours/week usage probably and thus far I have used a massive 15Mb of my 200Mb free allowance

Could you post the model of the huawei wingle that you bought ?.

I had a look at amazon UK and there were lots of them ???

I should get my car in a week or so and have already ordered the 3 Sim .

Do I need to top up to get the free data (200 mb per month AFAIK)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could you post the model of the huawei wingle that you bought ?.

I had a look at amazon UK and there were lots of them ???

I should get my car in a week or so and have already ordered the 3 Sim .

Do I need to top up to get the free data (200 mb per month AFAIK)
Read my post here: http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/7-hyundai-ioniq-general-discussion/5417-satnav-uses-navteq.html#post102554

Has links and all the info you should need

No need to add more data 200Mb is more than enough each month and make sure you get the E8372 (the E3372 does not have the ability to be a wifi hotspot)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got a second hand Huawei E8278 of eBay for £20.00. Unlocked it and have got the Three sim installed. Not used in the car but have tested it with phones and tablets and works well.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks.

Since I am in the IOM I don't have access to UK networks.

However 3 network allows free roaming (for at least 2 months a year) and I am planning to test this out ;-)

·
Registered
843 Posts
My E8372 arrived today from the Netherlands. £38.90, delivered free.

Not tried it yet...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My E8372 arrived today from the Netherlands. £38.90, delivered free.

Not tried it yet...

I just got mine off amazon prime. Cost a bit more but was able to return it if it didn't work.......I could of got one cheaper at the time from Russia but didn't fancy the idea of the KGB tracking me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts