Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I5 when it comes will be my first car with carplay as well as my first full EV. Have people homed in on the best solution for route planning and displaying longer journeys that include a charge?

Car sat nav - I believe this has chargers marked but no functionality to calculate most efficient route/charging stops/availability like teslas?

Apple car play - allows Google maps (shows ev charging stations but don't know how much functionality there is e.g. specifying type or provider of charger? Same with Waze I think?

3rd party - Zapp Map and A Better Route Planner - do they require a sub? I don't think they work with Carplay do they so no display?

So am I missing something in that non of the solutions currently are a silver bullet? What's best?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Step 1: Put route into ABRP, I’ve told my ABRP to use Ionity only, and shorter legs, my dog needs rest.
Step 2:Get the names of the Ionity-stations ABRP suggests, note down the address.
Step 3: put the address for the first charge stop into cars sat Nav.
Step 4:when you’re at the first charge stop, do a double check if second stop is still valid.
Step 5: Put in second address into cars sat Nav.
Step 6:rest dog while car is charging.
rinse and repeat.
I’ve always got my iPad mini with me, but a phone is sufficient.
I’ve yet to come up with a good way to send an address from ABRP to the I5s sat Nav.
In the Tesla I could share the address from ABRP via Google maps to the car via the Tesla app, but I can’t seem to find a way to send an address to the car via bluelink app.
Edit: the reason I use the onboard satnav is because I love the HUD.
You’ll save yourself some time by using either Waze, Google or apple maps via ACP, as the address from ABRP can be shared directly to those apps and shown on right screen, but no HUD unfortunately.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Tesla I could share the address from ABRP via Google maps to the car via the Tesla app, but I can’t seem to find a way to send an address to the car via bluelink app.
You can send the address to the car via the Blue link app if you find it in the map Search bar.

Once it's found the address, there's a blue button that says "Send to car". When you get in and start her up, the address pops up on the screen with the option to navigate to it.
Appreciate that's not integrated with Google Maps.
Font Screenshot Parallel Design Logo

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can send the address to the car via the Blue link app if you find it in the map Search bar.

Once it's found the address, there's a blue button that says "Send to car". When you get in and start her up, the address pops up on the screen with the option to navigate to it.
Appreciate that's not integrated with Google Maps.
View attachment 36168
Thanks, it works. Has to use my phone though, as I can’t get the bluelink app to work properly on iPad.
1. Search route on ABRP
2. Copy address on charge station from ABRP to BL-app.
3. Press navigate in car.
it removes the need for manual input in satnav, but having Bluelink as an option in ABRP would save a few seconds.
Map Slope Rectangle Font Screenshot

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I5 when it comes will be my first car with carplay as well as my first full EV. Have people homed in on the best solution for route planning and displaying longer journeys that include a charge?

Car sat nav - I believe this has chargers marked but no functionality to calculate most efficient route/charging stops/availability like teslas?

Apple car play - allows Google maps (shows ev charging stations but don't know how much functionality there is e.g. specifying type or provider of charger? Same with Waze I think?

3rd party - Zapp Map and A Better Route Planner - do they require a sub? I don't think they work with Carplay do they so no display?

So am I missing something in that non of the solutions currently are a silver bullet? What's best?
Haven't heard of Zapp map, but a better route planner need sub to use the Android Auto app, would think it would be the same for Carplay.
When using the ABRP app on the phone no sub is needed, I think only login, and one can save different routes there.

An easy solution then is to get som magnets, and if you don't use a case for your hone, get one where you can put thin metal between the phone and the case.
I have done that, and it works great.

I found these for metal inlay: [$10.45] otolampara universal metallplate 8 -pakning til magnetisk telefonholder for bilholder med klebemiddel 4 rektangel og 4 runde svart
I use 2 of the square ones behind my phone, they're thinner than 1 mm.

And I got these magnets: Neodymmagnet | Clas Ohlson
I just put all 10 of them on the board in the car, and organized them so they hold the phone.

The phone holds it's place and don't move under driver, but isn't to hard to remove the phone either.
And another plus is that I can use the phone for filming what happends infront of the car if I want also.

Only minus is that I can't use wireless charging, but I never do anyway, ruins the battery because of heat (I never fastcharge my op phones anymore because of that)

·
Registered
64 Posts
How is traffic information in ABRP?
I found Waze to be the best, and it has saved me 5+ hours in queues along the E6/E20 last 6 months alone.

As soon as Waze gives me a reroute, my wife checks with Google and Apple, and so far they’re still n the same route into the jam.

the only negative thing by using Waze in ACP is that I can’t seem to find a way to get the instructions on the HUD

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haven't tested it for that, looks like it's a premium thing.
Haven't needed fast charging yet on my I5, but before I used to do as you, and note down where I needed to stop, and use other ways to navigate. Didn't have a place to hold my phone in the old one.

Google is very on and off, I do get some notice when there is a faster route, and can switch to it. It do most of the time show different routes, and seems to be for the most part ok. Seems like the use a combination of historic data and realtime data. Many places it shows ques where there is none.

What have annoyed me the last half year or so with them, is that it often shows me two alternatives when I come to a crosspoint, I have the same every morning. It sends me the other what than what I prefer, and tells me the prefered way can take 7-10 minutes longer, and when it recalculates to that route, the arrival time is the same as the other way.

Yesterday it told me it would take 17 minutes longer the way I chose, and it took only about 1 minute extra.

Never tried Waze, but might test it out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Good hing about Waze is that other drivers can drop info, like car accidents or temporary roadwork.
Saved me from running into a car that had crashed into the cable barrier on the E4 last summer.

The speed trap warning is great as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can do the same thing on Googles map, but I only think the option comes if you use your phone, and not AA in the car.
Got it when I tested on my phone the other day, hadn't seen that option before, since I always use AA.

Comes up as a + under the mute and compass option, have a few options there, including collision, que, roadword, speedtrap, carstops, object in the road ect.

Weird it only show on the phone, which is far more unsafe to use during driving than the cars screen is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried Waze, and deleted it after one trip, gave me a lot less information than I was use to, and just didn't work for me vs Googles Maps

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried Waze, and deleted it after one trip, gave me a lot less information than I was use to, and just didn't work for me vs Googles Maps
Curious. What info does google give you about the traffic that Waze doesn’t?
Ive never been able to drop police controls, queues, traffic accidents, roadworks, debris in road, severe weather etc in google, have I missed a setting?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wasn't showing me any ques ect, I checked the app, and everything was turned on.
Didn't show alternatre routes either, even if they where slower. Have a waypoint where I can largely see if the main road is building ques when I aproaching by how close in time the other alternative takes. Might be what I'm used to.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Strange. I went from GM to Waze for the exact same reasons, GM is showing queues and reroutes, but way too late.
I think Waze is better in areas where they have a lot of users, and maybe it’s just more popular where I live?

I’m not saying GM is bad, but after using both for many years, Waze is so much better, at least where I live/drive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the subscription version of ABRP, but never used it for navigation.
maybe I’m too used to just using it to calculate charge stops, and using other software for navigating?

anybody know what source ABRP is using for traffic information?

on the other hand. If you’re driving 1000kms from A to F, and are using ABRP to calculate the optimal charging route, you have seriously limited the B to E part anyway. So maybe I’m in the wrong by using 2 different apps, maybe ABRP is sufficient?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello. Has anyone tried improving route planning with a OBD2 dongle/ car scanner like such:
I have it in my TM3, but the standard values in ABRP is good enough to not show different chargers.
With my Tesla I charge exclusively on SuC, in my I5 I charge exclusively on Ionity, and I find it hard to believe that I’ll have a different route using a dongle vs standard settings.

I might buy one anyway, as I love the geek factor, but I don’t think your charge stops will dramatically change using one. Maybe if you have no preferred charge network it will change slightly, but seeing the 200kW+ chargers are still sparse, my guess is that you’ll end up charging on the same stop anyway.

On a side note, I think many people miss this argument when debating which EV to buy vs highway range. It doesn’t matter that the I5 has a bit lower range than the Enyaq or ID4, you’ll end up charging on the exact same stops anyway, and because the I5 is so much faster when charging, the Hyundai will be much faster from A to F, even though it’s a bit thirstier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts