Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2 I5 LIMITED, Tesla MX, Rivian R1T
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darn my kids hit a deer last weekend on my 2022 I5 limited.
Did not look bad but airbags deployed and it is now at collision shop.
Estimate to repair is at least 35k and many many months to get part. My experience 4 months ago
with a "minor" bumper and side panel that took 8k (from 3k estimate) and 2 months wait for a bumper.

SO I am thinking of taking the insurance money and try to salvage the car!

Battery has not been impacted and I am sure there is good value in parting it out? It has 10k miles on it.

Grille Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

· Registered
2022, Teal Limited AWD
632 Posts
Yes you can potentially buy the car back.
First buyback costs vary state to state. You need to look into how much. It may be prohibitive.
Second are you really ready to disassemble, advertise and ship parts? It takes a lot of work.
Third while there is a parts shortage I might think there is a VERY small market right now of people looking for parts. There are not a lot of I5s out there and not a lot of repairs.

· Registered
86 Posts
Depending on buyback cost I would buy back repair and keep driving it…(if my plan was to keep long term)

it would be very hard for me (or anyone) to justify buying a salvaged EV from private party or dealer

· Registered
592 Posts
Biggest issue right now is that these cars are pretty much ALL under warranty.
Unless someone wants to upgrade to limited parts from SE/SEL (wheels/tires, Limited silver trims), I do not see much market for parted out parts.
If you can get it fixed for cheap, maybe but why? No warranty and depending on when you bought it, if you are qualified for $7k tax credit, it may not be too bad even if you just take the check from insurance.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Biggest issue right now is that these cars are pretty much ALL under warranty. Unless someone wants to upgrade to limited parts from SE/SEL (wheels/tires, Limited silver trims), I do not see much market for parted out parts. If you can get it fixed for cheap, maybe but why? No warranty and depending on when you bought it, if you are qualified for $7k tax credit, it may not be too bad even if you just take the check from insurance.
Yes I qualified for 7.5k tax credit I also just got my second i5 limited 3 weeks ago at msrp but not tax credit I would think battery has high value

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok here is the latest:
Damage (30k+/-) is not enough to total the car; the value of car is 60k+tax and they would total only if damage is 45k (75%)

My main issue is that is that I was going to trade the car for a Rivian that is scheduled for December and that the I5 will not be fixed by then (at least 3 months out on most parts)

Of course I am welcome to take the estimate check and go from there but that does not help timewise.

· Registered
22 I5 SEL RWD
376 Posts
Ok here is the latest:
Damage (30k+/-) is not enough to total the car; the value of car is 60k+tax and they would total only if damage is 45k (75%)

My main issue is that is that I was going to trade the car for a Rivian that is scheduled for December and that the I5 will not be fixed by then (at least 3 months out on most parts)

Of course I am welcome to take the estimate check and go from there but that does not help timewise.
If you can front the $$$ for the truck, maybe just sell the I5 after repair? I guess if there's a public accident record (which may be quite likely at that level of repair cost even though not structural) that may not fly well.

· Registered
118 Posts
Ok here is the latest:

My wife drives a mobility van. A wheelchair accessible Chrysler. These type of vans are specially modified. So the Chrysler Pacifica Touring. It cost at that time $72k.

The accident occurred over 5 months ago. She was pulling in our driveway when a kid hit the rear. Since her foot was on the gas, the whiplash made her jam on the gas. She hit our fence and a four step wall that went to our backyard. Which was only 20 feet away.

Here is the bottom line. She wanted to do all the work of dealing with the insurance companies and the insurance estimator. She was using a loaner through the insurance at a cost of $125.00 a day. The estimate was $38k. The insurance company wanted the car fixed.

Bottom line I got very pissed after 5 months of BS. Called the people handling the claim. I had 2 phones going on speaker. I pointed out to them the cost of the loaner, the 38k estimate, which the repair shop said it would be at least 10k more. It would also be at least 2 more months before the parts that they didn’t have would arrive and the repair would take a month.

What I said was this, what is the damaged car worth right now. They did not know. I then said that supervisor who told his people to not total the car, I would personally have him fired. I told them they had 36 hours to reevaluate the damage, the cost of the loaner, and the additional time it would take to finish the repair. If they did not have this car totaled, they would be talking to my lawyer. Twelve hours later the car was deemed totaled. Now we had to buy a new van. The cost of the new van was $95,000.00…

I had forgotten that my insurance was for new car replacement. The insurance company gave us a check for $81,000.00 for the replacement value. The remainder would come from the kids insurance.

What I am saying is use the anticipated months it will take to receive the parts. The cost of a loaner paid by the insurance. To your advantage. The inconvenience when dealing with Insurance Company.

Best of luck.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I am 2 months since accident at a least 2 months before parts show up at best.
Car sitting and had to get 12v jumpstarted to get back in the car to get items out.

I have another body shop willing to "buy" my car as is for about 19k (plus I get 30k from insurance co) I know this is less than I paid (close to 60k with taxes) but I got tax credit and 10k miles on the car and I have already bought another new I5.

Issue is now that body shop where car is is refusing to release car as they have parts on order?

What can I do?

· Registered
250 Posts
Since you've already moved on and have another I5, if you can afford the payments on both, I'd just wait for the original to be fixed then turn around and sell it. I'm almost certain even with damage history, you'll do better than $49k.

I can understand the first shop not releasing the car as I'm sure they've paid for the parts on order and don't want to be stuck with them and no car to fix.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since you've already moved on and have another I5, if you can afford the payments on both, I'd just wait for the original to be fixed then turn around and sell it. I'm almost certain even with damage history, you'll do better than $49k.

I can understand the first shop not releasing the car as I'm sure they've paid for the parts on order and don't want to be stuck with them and no car to fix.
Not sure but Kbb shows around 50k for it. I sold 3 used cars 6 months ago and they are now 20 percent less.

· Registered
250 Posts
Hmm, I guess that's true but Limiteds are really hard to come by, so seem to be holding value better than SE/SEL's.

I assume the current body shop has no interest in buying it at all? Unless you can see if the insurance wants to take it on completely not sure what other options there are.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts