1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 VW Passat Estate Diesel (omg!)
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can't decide between RWD and AWD.
Price (in leasing) isn't much of a deal breaker.
Don't mind the frunk being smaller (it's not that accessible anyway) - just holding the V2L adapter probably.

But the AWD gets 21km less range. Not that big a deal of course, but when traveling on holiday, it will matter a bit.
I read somewhere that the AWD in Eco only uses the rear motor, hence using less battery? But still gets 110kg of extra weight, so still not better on the range probably.

I would go for AWD just for the sheer joy of acceleration, not for traction control on snowy roads (hardly snows here in Belgium and have winter tyres).

Please someone, help me figure this out :)
(the extra price for AWD would mean I can get an ICE car rental for free for 1,5 week per year).

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
197 Posts
Hi all,

Don't mind the frunk being smaller (it's not that accessible anyway) - just holding the V2L adapter probably.

But the AWD gets 21km less range. Not that big a deal of course, but when traveling on holiday, it will matter a bit.
I read somewhere that the AWD in Eco only uses the rear motor, hence using less battery? But still gets 110kg of extra weight, so still not better on the range probably.

I would go for AWD just for the sheer joy of acceleration, not for traction control on snowy roads (hardly snows here in Belgium and have winter tyres).

(the extra price for AWD would mean I can get an ICE car rental for free for 1,5 week per year).
No brainer. All you need is RWD. Unless there are options you want that are only available on AWD, apart from 2 motors of course.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No brainer. All you need is RWD. Unless there are options you want that are only available on AWD, apart from 2 motors of course.
There are no features specific to AWD in Belgium.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been looking at an EV for quite a while, and wanted something as new as possible, as the technology ages so quickly. I looked at Merc EQA and Audi Q4. Both nice cars, but no performance.
For the sake of an extra £4k I feel the AWD will be far more popular when it comes to resale in a couple of years time, as those looking for a ‘fast’ used car will have very limited options…….

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking at an EV for quite a while, and wanted something as new as possible, as the technology ages so quickly. I looked at Merc EQA and Audi Q4. Both nice cars, but no performance.
For the sake of an extra £4k I feel the AWD will be far more popular when it comes to resale in a couple of years time, as those looking for a ‘fast’ used car will have very limited options…….
True, but the RWD is also fast. Just not REALLY fast.

·
Registered
MY20 Kona Highlander electric
197 Posts
Future looks interesting for Hyundai in terms of tech innovation. In December 2020 they acquired Boston Dynamics. Guess that means Ioniq 6 will be able to dance to “Do You Love Me”

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
125 Posts
Hi all,

The price difference in Belgium between RWD and AWD is 4000 €.
On one hand AWD:
the power difference is one thing, but the torque difference is the most important (350 compared to 605 Nm) because on EV it comes instantly. The AWD is giving the extra pleasure to beat very quick ICE cars too.​
The AWD will give you a better and safer traction in all conditions.​
On the other hand RWD:
Getting instantly 350Nm is already not bad at all and will give you also pleasure.
Driving a modern RWD in Belgium is certainly not a problem. The only concerns that I have is how the ESP will kill the power on the RWD car if it is slippery. You have to consider that in most cases FWD gives a better traction on slippery roads than RWD, so the ESP interaction on RWD will be more severe. For this reason if you opt for the RWD, opt also for winter tyres, as you already intend to do, to improve the traction.​
Personally I opt for AWD, because I think that releasing instant EV torque can be better controlled on 4 wheels, but that is a personal choice and opinion.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
Thanks for all the reactions!
RWD it shall be!
Is the AWD available in Belgium with the 19" wheels? This is the combination I would prefer if it were offered in the US. I believe this give almost as much range as the RWD with the advantages of AWD. Also the 19' wheels should give a smoother ride.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 AWD Balance Vision
125 Posts
Is the AWD available in Belgium with the 19" wheels? This is the combination I would prefer if it were offered in the US. I believe this give almost as much range as the RWD with the advantages of AWD. Also the 19' wheels should give a smoother ride.
In Belgium, all AWD versions come standard with 20-inch wheels, but we can get the AWD with 19"wheels as a 0 Euro option. I preferred a discount of 500.00 Euro like in other European countries. 0 Euro is not correct.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In Belgium, all AWD versions come standard with 20-inch wheels, but we can get the AWD with 19"wheels as a 0 Euro option. I preferred a discount of 500.00 Euro like in other European countries. 0 Euro is not correct.
In leasing, I still get a discount for smaller 19" wheels ;-)

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, reserved Ioniq 5
165 Posts
I would go for the 19" even at zero reduction for the improved ride and range. Maybe it will be offered here, but I doubt it. We still don't have any real information on options and prices.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have you driven other EVs to compare acceleration performance to your recent Ioniq 5 RWD test drive?

·
Registered
Audi S4 & H2 SX SE
63 Posts
RWD for me I want the maximum range no need for less range and awd which will operate as a rwd 90% of the time when you drive normal. Remember this is NOT a rally car or a sports car at all. If you want performance I would say consider a Tesla or EV6 GT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts