Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time since I got him, I've let the fuel drop below the acceptable level and had I not been told previously what would happen, I would have probably been a bit alarmed at the fuel 'gauge' turning red and a message popping up on display saying there insufficient petrol and would I like directing to the nearest station. All a bit sudden and surprising for the first time.. useful though and I definitely like the petrol station finder feature. However.. did anyone else notice the complete loss of power when running it very low? I don't know if I was imagining things but it definitely felt more sluggish and switched to EV a lot more, I guess to compensate, which is good if miles away from a fill point.. but I wasn't so.. the sluggishness, that I may or may not have imagined, was a bit annoying.

:|

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Did you perhaps notice your battery level? Seems difficult to believe, but the engineers could have mandated no battery recharge from the ICE when fuel levels are dangerously low.

Personally, I drive like I'm feeble if I'm not sure I'll make the next station. You may be copying that subconsciously for fear of running out.

In my youth, I spent a fair amount of time in traffic court fighting speeding tickets. The national speed limit in the US was 55 mph for a ridiculous number of years in the 1970's, and I liked to drive 75 in my car, and 95 on my motorcycle. So I got pulled over a lot just on the optics (almost never was paced - I actually congratulated one officer on his righteous ticket). Sitting there listening to people's excuses for speeding was amazing and your post made me think of one person who said they were speeding because their brakes were bad! Some might take being low on petrol to be a valid reason to go faster before they run out!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bluecar1, It was your post that alerted me to it in the first place lol glad for that, was so sudden, I was like 'wtf'?

Yticolev, I haven't got a single speeding ticket in my life.. and I seriously don't know how. Haha I honestly don't think I was driving any differently, I knew there would be some where to fill up in plenty of time so was driving normal I think but it definitely felt like it was less responsive to my heavy foot, almost like it was stopping me from using up what fuel was left.

Seriously weirding me out now if no one else has experienced that :<

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
didn't notice it on mine

and it was my first full tank I played petrol roulette, will it make the petrol station or not, got there with 2 miles remaining :) but only got 39.5 ltr's in the tank so the fuel gauge seems to leave plenty in reserve

Attachments

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Yticolev, I haven't got a single speeding ticket in my life.. and I seriously don't know how.
Not very difficult. Just depress your accelerator pedal a bit more (no double entendre intended) when you see a police officer. Extra points for flipping them off when you pass them. Taping over the unnecessary speedo display may get you the same results, as well as a cool story to tell the officer while you are flirting with him.

·
Registered
725 Posts
didn't notice it on mine

and it was my first full tank I played petrol roulette, will it make the petrol station or not, got there with 2 miles remaining :) but only got 39.5 ltr's in the tank so the fuel gauge seems to leave plenty in reserve
I remember watching Top Gear some years back when they did one of their stunts which involved driving cars a long way on little fuel...think they ended up seeing how far the they could get home on a single tank from south of France or something daft as they did....admittedly older cars but the bit I do remember was the bit where the miles remaining on the trip comp got to zero and they carried on and got over 100 miles farther down the road.....cant say Ive ever dared try it in any car Ive owned though :)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've actually had a car sold to me with insufficient fuel in it to travel the three miles to the nearest petrol station.

Collected my new abarth 500 and ran out of petrol in 2 and a bit miles.

I was stunned and called the dealership who were equally stunned, to the point of having to be told that it might be nice if they got some petrol to me.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
I've actually had a car sold to me with insufficient fuel in it to travel the three miles to the nearest petrol station.

Collected my new abarth 500 and ran out of petrol in 2 and a bit miles.

I was stunned and called the dealership who were equally stunned, to the point of having to be told that it might be nice if they got some petrol to me.
It seems that the days are long gone when a new car meant a full tank supplied :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
It seems that the days are long gone when a new car meant a full tank supplied :(
Luckily I got a full tank in mine - only because I had moaned about the delivery date slipping twice and threatened to cancel.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
It's generally the case if something goes wrong ...but only then , sadly

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes so I think the "miles remaining" is quite understated, I was just testing this last night. Here is some maths... latest tank trip: miles = 527, car says almost empty - 24 miles to go. Car took a fill up of 39.26 litres which is 8.64 UK gallons. So true mpg is 61.1 (Car says 62.4, pretty close) So if the tank is 9.9 UK gallons I should get 61.1 x 9.9 = 605 miles to completely empty. So I should have had about 80 miles left, not 24. I think this was partly what was making me think my mpg was lower than it really was, I'd see say 450/500 miles and the tank say pretty much empty and think oh well 450 miles off 10 gallons = 45mpg. I get that they don't want you to run out when the car still says you have miles to go so they overcompensate the other way. Yes I know the miles to go is an estimate based on current driving, don't rely on it... Just an observation.... 50 miles is a fair old buffer though.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
The other thing you will find is the range to empty don't take into account ev use, so on a long run if the car says 400 miles to empty and you have 200 miles to do, when you reach your destination you would expect about 200 miles left but you will find more likely 230-250 miles remaining

Takes a while to get used to

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Since my youth I've always got into the habit of filling the tank once it's half full . In the old days money was tight so I tended to put in what I thought I needed . Just got fed up of running out of petrol . Too old to go tramping around the streets with a petrol can and a hose now ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used to only put in what I could afford, and then managed to run out of fuel twice in one day.... Ah, the joys of motoring as a teenager, and the fuel economy of a Mk 2 Cortina GT.

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
my old triumph herald had a wonder little lever on the top of the tank you could turn to release an emergency gallon of fuel, only problem was the number of times i used it, then forgot to turn it back when i filled up, then the next time i ran out of fuel i didn't have the emergency gallon :( at which point i used to turn the air blue and tramp off down the road to the petrol station (no mobiles back in the early eighties to "call a friend" )

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Early 80s lol! Why do I have a feeling I'm literally the youngest person on this forum, and possibly the youngest Ioniq owner.. do I get a prize?

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Early 80s lol! Why do I have a feeling I'm literally the youngest person on this forum, and possibly the youngest Ioniq owner.. do I get a prize?
It's OK I won't ask your age...I was talking about the 60s , by the way ....no,not the 1860s ;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha sorry I was on about bluecar's post. I figured you were older already from a comment you made on a different thread. I'm not THAT young but I'm starting to think younger than anyone here lol and im 29

1 - 20 of 55 Posts