Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,195 Posts
I can't tell where that loopy negative chassis ground is.
Clip to any bolt on the inverter case when boosting like in the diagram, but leave those alone and find one on the chassis if removing and replacing a bolt to make a permanent connection with a ground lug.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Clip to any bolt on the inverter case when boosting like in the diagram, but leave those alone and find one on the chassis if removing and replacing a bolt to make a permanent connection with a ground lug.
Thanks! I have alligator clips on the terminals now which seems to work with the hood open but...after 30 minutes of pulling about 90 watts for my laptop, my state of charge went up 1%! Too weird!

·
Registered
58 Posts
What size inline fuse do I need on the positive wire from 400 watt inverter to the battery?
Is it amps = watts / volts ? So in Canada, as in the US, amps = 400 / 120 = 6.67.
But my inverter is rated 400 w continuous or 800 w peak so do I do 800 / 120 instead?

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,195 Posts
800 / 12 = 67 amps, use the closest size that's higher. Not sure what sizes they come in so I can't say exactly what that will be. That's sure going to be some damned heavy gauge wire, use Amps and Wire Gauge in 12V Electrical Circuits as a guide, sizing the wire according to the fuse rating that you end up getting. If something shorts out in the inverter you do not want the wire to fail before the fuse blows.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,195 Posts
Post #24 above edited to add this crucial underlined bit: "sizing the wire according to the fuse rating that you end up getting. If something shorts out in the inverter you do not want the wire to fail before the fuse blows."

Reactions: nobu

·
Registered
58 Posts
21 - 27 of 27 Posts