Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 2020 38KWh, VW Passat GTE, Toyota Landcruiser, Alfa Spider S2
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried this solution out?
I hate driving a car that doesn't have a spare tyre. Its a scandal that car companies have developed cars without this major safety feature. I have managed to engineer a solution for my Passat GTE but there isn't as much space in the Ioniq so am considering purchasing a set of Runflats for it. Just wondering if anyone has tried them and if so what impact if any on range. Happy to sacrifice range for actually getting there (alive).
Since this years "2nd Ice Age" our roads in Scotland have taken a real battering - its not wise to venture out in any car without a spare or RFT. Have seen plenty of low profile tyre cars stranded some distance after potholes waiting on rescue.
Also I don't fancy venturing onto a smart motorway without RFT - just a thought.
I notice Michelin do a cross climate+ RFT that fits on the Ioniq for less than £120 - seems ideal.

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
398 Posts
I am classed as a road warrior (average 40,000 miles a year for more than 30 years) I have picked up my fair share of nails and screws in tyres, but I have never had a blowout, never had to change a tyre at the side of the road and never been rescued because of tyres. Come to think of it, the only time I have been rescued was when a fully loaded Transit van rear ended me at the lights and bent my car like a banana! I did use the foam and air kit once on my last car (135k in 4 years) when I came out of an appointment to a flat tyre with a screw in it.

Even here in the South East, the recent cold and thaw have affected the road surfaces really badly. There are potholes where the road used to be good (ish) and existing holes are bigger, deeper and more aggressive.

As for smart motorways, I understand your concern about them, but never think about any of the above, life is too short to worry , other road users are far more dangerous!

·
Registered
Iconiq plug In. Premium SE/ultimate 2019
157 Posts
I’m running winter tyres and wheels until the weather improves, then switch back to the original Michelin’s, ( for economy). but also purchased a space saver with kit for the few times I do a longer journey, normally left in the garage until needed, just trying to cover all bases, but still have the pump and gloop in the boot if needed,

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
124 Posts
I've simply bought a full sized spare for my 38er. It's actually off the 28 amount, but same holes, just a very very slightly smaller tyre, and much nicer than the space-savers which limit you to 50 mph. Lives in a fitted zip-bag in the bag & takes the worries away. Haven't yet thought about a jack & wrench though.
I don't know what range you'd lose on runflats, but if someone told me 20%, I would not be surprised. Don't expect them to be anything like as good as the tuned-up eco tyres out there!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
180 Posts
I have some kind of Puncture Repair Kit which came with my PHEV. (No spare wheel). I travel mainly around Greater London so don't drive through wastelands or desert. If I have a wheel/tyre problem when out and about, I have no intention whatsoever of trying to figure out how to use the Repair Kit, and will rely on RAC or AA to come and sort me out. And that's that !!

·
Registered
UK spec 2020 1st Edition in Polar White
398 Posts
I have some kind of Puncture Repair Kit which came with my PHEV. (No spare wheel). I travel mainly around Greater London so don't drive through wastelands or desert. If I have a wheel/tyre problem when out and about, I have no intention whatsoever of trying to figure out how to use the Repair Kit, and will rely on RAC or AA to come and sort me out. And that's that !!
Exactly!

·
Registered
157 Posts
As I once worked for the AA I would sooner be self reliant and not expect a patrol to change a wheel for me, something I’m quite capable of doing with a spare wheel and equipment, It’s just my personal preference and would save me a lot time in the long run,

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Premium SE PHEV
180 Posts
As I once worked for the AA I would sooner be self reliant and not expect a patrol to change a wheel for me, something I’m quite capable of doing with a spare wheel and equipment, It’s just my personal preference and would save me a lot time in the long run,
Maybe so, but the whole point is that there is no spare wheel. If you can figure out what to do with the puncture repair kit that comes with the car then all well and good !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem is that the puncture repair kit doesn't work. Its just a scam for legal compliance. Its akin to putting ointment on a severed artery. If you are in urban area and willing to wait a couple hours for AA/RAC to bail you out fine. But in highland Scotland I need to be a bit more self sufficient

·
Registered
157 Posts
Problem is that the puncture repair kit doesn't work. Its just a scam for legal compliance. Its akin to putting ointment on a severed artery. If you are in urban area and willing to wait a couple hours for AA/RAC to bail you out fine. But in highland Scotland I need to be a bit more self sufficient
Totally agree, I’m in Scotland as well and sooner be on my way then sitting In the car with no Phone signal and a long walk to get help,
If the tyre is split or not repairable then it’s a tow in somewhere and a long delay for a replacement tyre,

·
Registered
276 Posts
RFT has poor fuel economy, you might consider self healing tyre as an alternative.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RFT has poor fuel economy, you might consider self healing tyre as an alternative.

Ah thanks for that was wondering about range impact. I have self sealing tyres (Pirelli) on my Passat GTE. When put to the test last year (I clip'd a pothole the - tyre was flat in 3 secs or so) so really glad to have a space saver on that occasion. I've concluded that they are about as effective as a repair kit but obviously more convenient. I notice that Good Year Efficient Grip performance are available in the size for the Ioniq. It has same efficiency rating as the Michelin Efficiency thats on the car ( a bit more expensive though) and it is run flat so maybe thats the one??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah thanks for that was wondering about range impact. I have self sealing tyres (Pirelli) on my Passat GTE. When put to the test last year (I clip'd a pothole the - tyre was flat in 3 secs or so) so really glad to have a space saver on that occasion. I've concluded that they are about as effective as a repair kit but obviously more convenient. I notice that Good Year Efficient Grip performance are available in the size for the Ioniq. It has same efficiency rating as the Michelin Efficiency thats on the car ( a bit more expensive though) and it is run flat so maybe thats the one??
Oh and further information ... the Pirelli that deflated had a relatively small split in the sidewall synonymous with a pothole incident. There is no self sealing membrane on that part of the tyre so its ineffective protection against potholes - maybe ok for a nail but we have more potholes than nails on our roads last time I looked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've simply bought a full sized spare for my 38er. It's actually off the 28 amount, but same holes, just a very very slightly smaller tyre, and much nicer than the space-savers which limit you to 50 mph. Lives in a fitted zip-bag in the bag & takes the worries away. Haven't yet thought about a jack & wrench though.
I don't know what range you'd lose on runflats, but if someone told me 20%, I would not be surprised. Don't ecpect them to be anything like as good as the tuned-up eco tyres out there!
Yes thats the solution that have on my Passat but its a space saver in a bag. The wrench and jack fit neatly under the floor. I have the bag ratchet strapped to the floor through the substantial VW tie down eyes. You would not want that mass moving inside the car in the event of an accident. I'm not so sure about this solution for the Ioniq though The tie downs are not as good and the wheel would be uncomfortably close to me as I have the rear seat down most of the time in that car.

·
Registered
Red 2019 Ioniq 38 Premium EV
124 Posts
Just done a search on mytyres.co.uk site, 38Bev, ticked the runflat box, and there's quite a lot to choose from. There's the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance ROF 205/60 R16 92V with rim protection (MFS) runflat. Efficiency gets a C rating. The same spec tyre without the runflat option gets either an A or a B rating, seems to be listed twice - not sure why. So you do pay a range penalty for taking this option, it would seem. Click the link "runflat" gets this interesting info:

"RunOnFlat(ROF) technology
Goodyear’s revolutionary RunOnFlat technology allows you to drive for up to 80km on a flat tyre, so you can reach a suitable place to have it changed. Reinforced sidewalls in the tyre mean it can support your car’s weight even with zero air pressure, making dangerous roadside tyre changes a thing of the past."

Your range after a puncture is going to nose-dive of course, just like the front of the car! :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just done a search on mytyres.co.uk site, 38Bev, ticked the runflat box, and there's quite a lot to choose from. There's the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance ROF 205/60 R16 92V with rim protection (MFS) runflat. Efficiency gets a C rating. The same spec tyre without the runflat option gets either an A or a B rating, seems to be listed twice - not sure why. So you do pay a range penalty for taking this option, it would seem. Click the link "runflat" gets this interesting info:

"RunOnFlat(ROF) technology
Goodyear’s revolutionary RunOnFlat technology allows you to drive for up to 80km on a flat tyre, so you can reach a suitable place to have it changed. Reinforced sidewalls in the tyre mean it can support your car’s weight even with zero air pressure, making dangerous roadside tyre changes a thing of the past."

Your range after a puncture is going to nose-dive of course, just like the front of the car! :eek:
If you select load rating 96 the tyres come with a B rating for efficiency. Not sure I understand why that is and if the higher weight rating would be detrimental to the ride of the car. Probably makes no discernible difference. Same tyres are cheaper from Camskill and Tyre Leader. I'll probably "upgrade' to these when the Michelins are a bit more worn or first puncture which ever comes first. Lets hope thats not on a smart motorway as that will probably be fatal - nice thought!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq EV Premium Plus
414 Posts
Have you had many punctures? I'm not all that worried.

After some 10 cars and 45 years of driving, I can remember only one real puncture. That was on my very first car which I bought used. It came with very suspicious retreaded tires which weren't even properly balanced.

Other than that, I have had a snow tire that leaked air very, very slowly, so that I had to top it up once every eight or ten days. That leak was so small that I had plenty of time to take the car to a garage to have it fixed. No need for a spare tire or a repair kit.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think the likelyhood of a tyre problem that results in full deflation is very small with modern tyres, and probably no more likely than any other mechanical failure that would stop you driving the car. In the bad old days of inner tubes any puncture to the inner tube resulted in a full flat tyre, however, with tubless most nails/screws etc, provided they are not removed, at worst just cause a slow leak. This means the car can continue to be driven, with the benefit of monitoring TPMS if fitted, till a repair can be carried out. A sidewall rip is a different matter of course, but very unlikely.

Livng here in Cyprus with plenty of unmade roads and stray nails/screws I have had my fair share of them getting in my tyres over the last 15 years, but on every occasion I have been able to keep driving, sometimes for days, till convenient to have the problem fixed. In the Ioniq over the past 3 years I have had one pointed arrow shaped flint in the tyre which the TPMS brought to my attention, but I was able to continue driving till I got home where I topped up the air and next day drove to a tyre shop. In fact the flint had damaged the tyre so badly I had to have it replaced, but hadn't stopped me driving. I have had a further screw in tyre since but again no problem so I am perfectly happy to keep on without a spare tyre.

To sum up I think if you believe you need a spare tyre to cover tyre failures you should also consider carrying various belts, water pipes, water, oil and a full set of tools as they have about the same chance of being needed as a spare tyre. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you had many punctures? I'm not all that worried.

After some 10 cars and 45 years of driving, I can remember only one real puncture. That was on my very first car which I bought used. It came with very suspicious retreaded tires which weren't even properly balanced.

Other than that, I have had a snow tire that leaked air very, very slowly, so that I had to top it up once every eight or ten days. That leak was so small that I had plenty of time to take the car to a garage to have it fixed. No need for a spare tire or a repair kit.
I was like that for many years too. But in the last few years I've averaged 2 or 3 every year. Every time the tyre is a write off. I believe its down to lower profile tyres which are much more vulnerable and a degradation in road quality where I live. Apart from my "normal" modern cars I also run Land Cruisers, 2 in the last 10 years its the go to car in the winter and neither of them have ever had punctures but of course that is BECAUSE it has a spare - you see where I'm coming from. Assuming its OK not to make provision for a puncture is a bit like Houdini saying I've been escaping all my life and I haven't died yet!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the 'Puncture Repair Kit' explode & cover myself & the car in the sticky goo - luckily I was close to a first aid station & was able to flush my face & eyes with clean water
Straight after, I purchased a full spare & have it in the boot of my Plugin
Getting a rim was expensive as I was advised by my Tyre company that using a rim with the incorrect offset would interfere with all of the tracking & lane-keeping systems - So a genuine rim was around AUD $1,000 ... but as my travel includes a 120km trip each way once a week, I was not prepared to drive a car without a spare.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts