Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously? A forum about a car and nobody has posted pictures and descriptions of the road trips taken with said car? Let's change that!

I'm leaving tomorrow for a road trip from Atlanta to Eastern NC (~450 miles) to visit family for a week. Atlanta is hilly and in the Piedmont. Eastern NC is flat as a pancake, and about 900 feet lower in elevation. So it seems that I'll essentially be coasting downhill for most of the day and I'm looking forward to seeing how that impacts the mpg.

What trips are you taking/have you taken with your Ioniq? How was the experience?

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
I do a 195 trip each way home to office most weeks, so mine gets nice long runs most weeks

dead flat roads are not the best for economy, slight ups and downs (100-200 foot over a mile or so) suit the car best for economy

on dead flat you will see the battery charge go up to top, car flip to EV then drop to to 1 bare left in middle segment and flip over to ICE and start charging again, and the cycle repeats

on slight down hill sections where the loses speed slowly, a pulse and glide will get you further on battery, so let the speed drop off 5-3mph, a bit of gentle acceleration to bring the speed back up then foot off and repeat, you will find the power generated nearly replaces that used to bring the speed back up, you can nearly double the EV distance depending on the slope and speed

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Nowhere to really drive here chick.. 450 miles and I've done the whole country. Lol jk

Think we've just chatted about our trips in other posts n not done a specific thread for it.. but now we have! Good one. :D

I do 80miles/day for work.. add onto that a minimum 10miles if I go out anywhere else.. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's a long drive to anywhere lol I do mainly motorways and other high speed roads. I like how comfortable the Ioniq is for those sorts of drives and the sound system is awesome.

Hope you enjoy your trip! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I left the Atlanta metro with about 800 miles on the car and returned with just over 1,700, so at this point I would say Miss Niquie Blue is now nicely worn in and so am I. Just to see the difference, I took different routes going up and going back and also drove at different times of day (the latter is not unusual for me when I take this particular road trip).

On the way up, I took Interstate 20 from Atlanta through Augusta and Columbia, and then picked up Interstate 95 outside Florence, SC. This trip was primarily driven in the late morning and early afternoon, and it was essentially a long coast downhill as I crossed from the hilly Piedmont into the flatter Coastal Plain around the time I crossed the border into South Carolina.

Miss Niquie's first state line crossing (at least under my ownership) was on Interstate 20 at the Savannah River going north. This was a pleasant drive and I averaged out right at 58 mpg. Keep in mind that while I was headed downhill, I also had a good 150 pounds of gear in her trunk (plus *mumble* pounds of me in the driver's seat). So while the terrain was good for mileage, the load wasn't.

My mother now covets Miss Niquie, to the point that we tried to find out where she can get an Ioniq. After some discussion we think the Niro is actually going to be a better fit because she uses a wheelchair sometimes and needs the slightly more boxy cargo area. (Her folding wheelchair fit fine in the back of the Ioniq except that the trunk area lacked about two inches in length. I wound up keeping the seats flipped down for the majority of my time there; with that, we were able to fit both the wheelchair and a walker.)

Mileage consistently stayed at or above 53 mpg the entire time. The picture I took was too blurry to post, but at one stoplight I looked down to see 82.2 mpg. Granted, this was only a mile after a fill-up but it was still fun.

During this trip Miss Niquie hauled yardwork/gardening supplies including rakes and pesticides, neatly parallel parked in a couple of country towns, made an emergency milkshake run for a couple of bored paramedics who couldn't leave their station (during which there was an unfortunate incident with one of the milkshakes and my back passenger quarter panel; it came right off with a hose), and generally ran around all over the place.

On the way back I took Interstate 40 to Interstate 85; this route is much more hilly, but also more urban. In this case it was because I left about 11:00 p.m. and drove overnight (urban areas have more 24-hour stops along them). I'd meant to leave a bit earlier but we'd been watching a storm system and hoping it would dissipate; by 11:00 it was obvious that the storms had no plans to do so.

Fortunately, the storms had died down somewhat and for the majority of the trip it was primarily a light show above me. There was one incident where I pulled into a truck stop to take a break and get some caffeine, and when I got out of the car was nearly knocked down by the wind. I hadn't even known it was particularly windy; Miss Niquie's aerodynamic profile meant I'd only been feeling occasional gusts. Score one for her engineering.

Along about the Georgia line I did smack into some really heavy rain and, based on the rain angle, a good bit of wind as well. I still didn't feel the wind all that much, but the rain was sometimes heavy enough to kill visibility and, despite it being 4:00 a.m. and an open road with a 70 mph speed limit, I was sometimes as low as 45 mph. (I guided myself using the reflective lane markers.) Between this and the fact that I was in the Appalachian foothills, my mileage suffered pretty badly. Final number was 48.5 mpg.

Final thoughts:

* Wear your shocks in gently but firmly and you'll benefit. I did this prior to the road trip, and Miss Niquie Blue now has a very smooth ride.
* This is an excellent does-it-all vehicle for those of us who don't have to do heavy duty outdoor work, hauling, or off-road travel; and you can fit more into it than you might think.
* Do run the gas engine from time to time as I got a brief battery warning after a day spent primarily running in-town errands in speeds/situations that had me on EV for about 90% of the time.
* Miss Niquie laughed at bright sunlight and 90+ degree weather (there were heat index warnings out), although my hands were glad I had a windshield shade.
* Be prepared for strangers to ask you what the heck you're driving when you stop for gas, food, bathroom breaks, etc. The car turned a few heads here and there.
* Hills are not kind to the mileage, but you'll still do better than a gas-only vehicle.
* The car's handling in wet conditions, including a few brief encounters with standing water, is about as expected for its size. The lower center of gravity didn't help the handling per se, but I'm pretty sure it kept me from losing the back end a couple of times. (Yes, I had the ESC on; no, it didn't kick in.)
* The place Miss Niquie Blue really shone was in her aerodynamics. I was able to stay at or near highway speed primarily because I only had to deal with rain and standing water. I was aware of the wind sometimes, but it never pushed me around.
* And I STILL haven't seen another Ioniq in the wild even though I did see three Niros!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That is one **** of a trip. What was the trip for? Sounds too intriguing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That is one **** of a trip. What was the trip for? Sounds too intriguing.
My mother's day gift to my mother was a week of free manual labor. I took out two trees and a rose bush; put out a container garden; treated her yard with pesticide; rearranged furniture; and did a bit of deep cleaning and minor interior repair. She is able to keep her house decent and pays a yard service to keep the yard trimmed, but she's not able to do the heavier stuff. I would go up to help more often than once or twice a year, except for the fact that it's a seven-and-a-half-hour drive each way.

We also did some fun stuff, saw other family/friends and visited my old stomping grounds (I grew up in that area) as a break from the work, but the work was the primary reason for the trip.

did you find any negatives at all, other than the hills not being kind to mpg
Only nits:

* The aluminum exterior panels scratch far too easily for my taste. I caught the rake on the upper door edge when putting it into the car; even after the rain I drove through last night, the mark is still there.
* Whoever designed the cruise control buttons didn't consider that on long trips, drivers will sometimes rest their wrists on the center portion of the steering wheel. Or at least this driver does. I accidentally turned off the cruise control three or four times simply by resting my hands.
* When the car switches from ICE to EV on a downhill coast, there is a very discernible hesitation (it feels like a hard shift in the transmission). There is no loss of speed; I wouldn't be surprised if there was a momentarily loss in RPM but since I don't have a tachometer I am not sure about that.

Reactions: TKGDee

·
Super Moderator
8,252 Posts
the ICE / Ev switch should get better, the transmission is supposed to learn over time

not had issues with accidentally turning off cruise

the only aluminium panels are the bonnet / hood, and the rear hatch, the rest are standard steel of various strengths depending on how load bearing they are

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I'm doing a charity road trip next month in an ioniq hybrid. Covering 2,500miles in 90 hours and visiting four 'corners' of mainland uk! Looking forward to trying out the ioniq. My daily driver is a Nissan Leaf 30kw. Will have to post updates on here! If anyone is interested?!

Thanks Jonno

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
My mother's day gift to my mother was a week of free manual labor. I took out two trees and a rose bush; put out a container garden; treated her yard with pesticide; rearranged furniture; and did a bit of deep cleaning and minor interior repair. She is able to keep her house decent and pays a yard service to keep the yard trimmed, but she's not able to do the heavier stuff. I would go up to help more often than once or twice a year, except for the fact that it's a seven-and-a-half-hour drive each way.
How sweet of you! How did you end up getting milkshakes for paramedics? lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you end up getting milkshakes for paramedics? lol
Because they asked me to. :)

A friend from school just opened a coffee shop so I had driven over to check it out, and it turned out my brother (who is a paramedic supervisor for the county) was on-shift at the local station nearby. They were having a quiet day, but because a 9-1-1 call (what you would call a 1-1-2) can come in at any time, they weren't allowed to leave the station. So when the folks on duty heard I was nearby, they called my phone and filled my car cabin with play-whining until I agreed to grab some milkshakes on my way out of the coffee shop. We had them in the station break room and they were excellent.

Small town shenanigans. Gotta love 'em.

Reactions: TKGDee

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, I'm doing a charity road trip next month in an ioniq hybrid. Covering 2,500miles in 90 hours and visiting four 'corners' of mainland uk! Looking forward to trying out the ioniq. My daily driver is a Nissan Leaf 30kw. Will have to post updates on here! If anyone is interested?!

Thanks Jonno
Yes, yes, please!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts