Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just tested it yesterday sitting in the driveway, with the car in Ready mode but parked.

Whenever I pressed on the brake pedal, CarScanner instantly toggled the setting for the brake light, so no delay.
If the speedometer and "RPM" etc are meant to be real-time, no reason the brake light display shouldn't be.

But I haven't used it out on the road yet - will try to do that later today. I'm hoping it will be useful.
The delay is small (also tested), but it is there. Just that small delay is enough to prevent me to "feel" exactly when the break light is turning on when you start to release the accelerator.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The brakes are blended regen/friction from my understanding so shouldn’t be missing out on regen. Maybe missing out on 1 pedal driving, but I think I can live with it to avoid rage incidents. Coasting allows hypermiling too.
They aren’t blended. You can coast and use regen via the paddles and still never touch the brake pedal. Also if you use smart cruise control (which is very good) it will take over the braking for you too.

i’ve done 7200 miles in my I5 and no road rage incidents yet.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD Digital Teal w/ Green/Gray 2 tone interior
98 Posts
They aren’t blended. You can coast and use regen via the paddles and still never touch the brake pedal. Also if you use smart cruise control (which is very good) it will take over the braking for you too.

i’ve done 7200 miles in my I5 and no road rage incidents yet.
Ok but the brake pedal definitely blends regen and friction braking.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ok but the brake pedal definitely blends regen and friction braking.
Only if you really stand on the brakes. In most normal driving pressing the brake pedal in an EV isn’t the same as in an ICE car. Pressing the brake pedal in an EV tells the car you want to slow down so it initiates regen braking, you can see this in the power graphic on the right hand side. Any friction braking is losing energy to heat through the brake pad and disk. You want to avoid this as it’s the least efficient way to drive an EV.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The brakes are blended regen/friction from my understanding so shouldn’t be missing out on regen. Maybe missing out on 1 pedal driving, but I think I can live with it to avoid rage incidents. Coasting allows hypermiling too.
I am not sure that in level 0 thier is any regan at all. From my experence thier is no indication in the cluster for any regan while level 0 us use.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am not sure that in level 0 thier is any regan at all. From my experence thier is no indication in the cluster for any regan while level 0 us use.
I just picked up my Ioniq 5 last night. In Lvl 0 when you press the brake pedal the PWR/CHG bar goes into the lower CHG portion. The amount depends on how hard you press the brake pedal. Once you get closer to a complete stop the charge bar goes to flat and I assume at that point friction brakes take over to stop you completely.

·
Registered
Preferred AWD L.Blue
165 Posts
My understanding is that there is no "automatic" regen braking just by lifting your foot off the accelerator, when set to regen level 0 - instead the car just coasts.

But as ASilverFlash notes, the brake pedal system is smart enough (thankfully!) to use regen braking whenever it can, to the extent it can, only adding in friction braking (lost energy) when required. So for mild braking, using the brake pedal is no less efficient than using a higher regen setting as your default. It comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
Cyber Grey SEL
89 Posts
I just picked up my Ioniq 5 last night. In Lvl 0 when you press the brake pedal the PWR/CHG bar goes into the lower CHG portion. The amount depends on how hard you press the brake pedal. Once you get closer to a complete stop the charge bar goes to flat and I assume at that point friction brakes take over to stop you completely.
This is not the case for my AWD SEL, with regen level 0 selected there is 0-5 kW of regen when coasting and no additional regen power when you press the brake pedal. I wonder if what you are seeing is specific to the RWD?

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is not the case for my AWD SEL, with regen level 0 selected there is 0-5 kW of regen when coasting and no additional regen power when you press the brake pedal. I wonder if what you are seeing is specific to the RWD?
When you get off a highway exit and really lay on the brake pedal you don’t see any additional? In my RWD, if I ride the brake pedal coming off a highway exit, it fills about half the CHG gauge in Lvl 0 then as I get closer to complete stop the regen tapers off to flat (zero).

·
Registered
Cyber Grey SEL
89 Posts
When you get off a highway exit and really lay on the brake pedal you don’t see any additional? In my RWD, if I ride the brake pedal coming off a highway exit, it fills about half the CHG gauge in Lvl 0 then as I get closer to complete stop the regen tapers off to flat (zero).
Thats correct. No additional regen if level 0 is selected, only the ~5kW you get when coasting as measured by the electricity usage screen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just had a thought of what is going on. The motor and wheels are always connected. Wheels turning so motor turning. So even in coast it has to dissipate the electricity generated or you will get motor heating. Anybody know if these are shunt wound motors or permanent magnet? You don't want to just spin a motor. The ~5kw is just it keeping the motor electrically connected to dissipate the energy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think I’ve noticed this. Very little regen when using the brake pedal for like the first 5-10 minutes of the drive. After that I see way more regen happening using the brake pedal.
When I set it to 0 regen that is what I get no matter how long I drive or how many times I use the brakes. I asked Hyundai UK to confirm the expected behaviour months ago but still not got an answer!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I just had a thought of what is going on. The motor and wheels are always connected. Wheels turning so motor turning. So even in coast it has to dissipate the electricity generated or you will get motor heating. Anybody know if these are shunt wound motors or permanent magnet? You don't want to just spin a motor. The ~5kw is just it keeping the motor electrically connected to dissipate the energy.
There is a tiny bit of bearing resistance while the motor is rotating. You cannot feel it on true coast downs (air and tire resistance are much larger forces). It is the load the motor is dissipating that determines acceleration/deceleration and that load is controlled by processors with inputs from the accelerator pedal, the brake pedal, and your drive settings including regen level.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
When I set it to 0 regen that is what I get no matter how long I drive or how many times I use the brakes.
0 regen refers to foot off accelerator pedal settings only. Brakes use regen to slow the car, the level being how far you depress the brakes.

·
Registered
Cyber Grey SEL
89 Posts
Yes, I've seen/read this several times, and selected regen 0 and left it for whole commutes thinking that the regen would kick in after 10 or so times engaging the friction brakes via the brake pedal but it has never happened. I have never seen any significant regen when level 0 is selected but I have also only done rural commutes of around 25 miles. I just figured my interpretation of the Korengrish in the manual was incorrect. Maybe I'll take an extended drive some weekend and leave it in regen 0 and see if regen upon using the brake pedal eventually starts.

And this also begs the question of if regen in level 0 starts...when does it reset?...ie when do you re-enter the 10 cycles of disc cleaning before more regen...is it after a power cycle...after shifting to P, after selecting regen level other than 0?

·
Registered
728 Posts
0 regen refers to foot off accelerator pedal settings only. Brakes use regen to slow the car, the level being how far you depress the brakes.
When in 0 regen setting I get 0 reg either when taking my foot off of the accelerator or when using the brake pedal.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts