Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

Registered
On the Bolt I would tap the brakes so the light would come on if I knew I was going to be doing a Long Slow stop.. and someone was behind me. I used my left foot on brake for a second... USA here 馃槈

Registered
I5 LR RWD> RIP-Audi S4
Yep. I-Pedal for sure doesn't have the brake lights come on until you basically have your foot off the gas. While driving at night, I can see the light from my brakes and they don't come on while Im slowing down, only when my foot is pretty much off the gas and i am almost to a complete stop (By then its too late for the person behind me to realize I started slowing down 5 seconds ago). That would EASILY make me mad if I was the person behind me. I tend to now only use Auto for this reason.
Looks like I will move to auto and use auto hold then tap brake once stopped to activate it. Ironic I saw this thread as it is something I have been wondering about and recently noticed a couple more aggressive guys pass me and look over puzzeled. You would think most would come to conclusion seeing EV tag on rear of vehicle it is the algorithm of the car and out of drivers control to some degree

Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt, waiting for Ioniq 5
I have never had a "brake light problem" with 1 pedal in my Bolt. They seem to come on when needed. Since I don鈥檛 have a 2022, when I am stopped and see a car approaching I will usually touch the brake pedal to get the lights to come on.

Registered
You would think most would come to conclusion seeing EV tag on rear of vehicle it is the algorithm of the car and out of drivers control to some degree
NO you Can Not see the EV tag on the back of a car until you are TOO close.
I completely understand why people get annoyed.
When the Bolt came out we all had this very question.
What most did was drive at night on a back road so that I could see how it came on and when.

Registered
Preferred AWD L.Blue
For anyone who has, or plans to get, an ODB2 dongle, I was using mine for the first time today, with CarScanner, and was surprised to find that one of the screens has an indicator for Brake light on or off.

Full credit to those who have wired in an indicator, but if you have the dongle, this seems a simpler way to see what is happening, if you can place or mount your phone in a visible position.

I posted an image in this thread on EV Apps:

Registered
2021 Ioniq 5 73Kwh RWD Premium
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yep. I-Pedal for sure doesn't have the brake lights come on until you basically have your foot off the gas. While driving at night, I can see the light from my brakes and they don't come on while Im slowing down, only when my foot is pretty much off the gas and i am almost to a complete stop (By then its too late for the person behind me to realize I started slowing down 5 seconds ago). That would EASILY make me mad if I was the person behind me. I tend to now only use Auto for this reason.
Me too. Also noticed the lights don't come on if I pause when turning into a side street (because a pedestrian is crossing for example) in ipedal or regen 3, so I will dab the brake here too if there is someone behind. Probably a good idea to apply the brakes lightly now and again anyway or you would end up with very rusty discs/rotors. Also to check they are actually working!

Registered
For anyone who has, or plans to get, an ODB2 dongle, I was using mine for the first time today, with CarScanner, and was surprised to find that one of the screens has an indicator for Brake light on or off.

Full credit to those who have wired in an indicator, but if you have the dongle, this seems a simpler way to see what is happening, if you can place or mount your phone in a visible position.

I posted an image in this thread on EV Apps:
I saw that, but I think there is a delay between the red light turning on and the display on CarScanner.... So it is not really usefull

Registered
There鈥檚 sone great suggestions above. I works add that when I learnt to drive a little under 49 years so my instructor told me to imagine I had an egg balanced in the bonnet. It was so about being smooth.

As such I always balanced the throttle even on ice. Not on/off but moderation. So with ev I find the same鈥 indeed with such responsive capabilities it鈥檚 possible to be so amazingly smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Preferred AWD L.Blue
I saw that, but I think there is a delay between the red light turning on and the display on CarScanner.... So it is not really usefull
I just tested it yesterday sitting in the driveway, with the car in Ready mode but parked.

Whenever I pressed on the brake pedal, CarScanner instantly toggled the setting for the brake light, so no delay.
If the speedometer and "RPM" etc are meant to be real-time, no reason the brake light display shouldn't be.

But I haven't used it out on the road yet - will try to do that later today. I'm hoping it will be useful.

Registered
Cyber Grey SEL
EV Road Rage could be just because it's an EV and have nothing to do with whether the lack of brake lights during regen is ticking the other driver off. One good thing about the I5 is it doesn't "advertise" EV by its looks or being plastered on the rear end badge.

Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD Digital Teal w/ Green/Gray 2 tone interior
I鈥檓 picking up my RWD SEL on Saturday and I鈥檓 planning on leaving it on Regen lvl 0 and just using the brake pedal to avoid this. Apparently it鈥檚 more efficient to coast anyway.

Registered
There is an easy way to check how the lighs come on or not if one want's to. Take a piece of white or light color tape, and attach it from the top wing, across the top breaklight and down to the back windshield (Only tape about 1 inch wide, and only vertical, not horizontal over the whole break light), then the tape will light up when the break light goes on, and one can see it from the rear view mirror.

i-Pedal in normal and sportmode is way to jerky on or off for me, and normally the break light comes on when breaking hard as the i-pedal does. Also check if in normal mode the sport breaking is on, it might use the lights more.

Registered
Ultimate RWD, Eco + Tech, added LTE Dashcam
My Hi5 is RHD. The green wire in pin 13 of connector E of the ICU (aka fuse block) is visible and accessible without removing any trim. It drives some of the brake lights (right side). Other options would be connector D pins 16 (left side brake lights) and 31 (high mount and trailer). Connector D is right next to connector E and both wires are also green, though I did not confirm these alternatives. As this was intended to be a quick hack, and the green wire is only exposed for a very short distance, I decided not to do proper tap and just stuff something in the pin socket. It took me a little while and few tries. A 1/4w resistor lead was too weak. A standard PCB header pin (0.6mm square) was too big. But the lead from a 4007 diode (0.47mm round) was just right. It must have belonged to the middle bear... Anyway, if I were to do it again, I would solder and heat shrink a wire onto the lead first, before getting it to stay in the socket. But after a half hour trying, I was so happy to win the damn thing I just left it there. So I used a clip lead and strain relieved the clip to the harness in the picture. A proper kluge... Anyway, it seems to be holding up after a few days in there. The LED is red, with a 2v drop, and drawing about 3-4 mA through a 3.3k resistor. You can find ground in many places. I recycled a cigarette lighter adapter from something else and used it for ground.

View attachment 38881
Looking at the front of the fuse board in mine I cant find that plug, is it behind the fuse board?

Registered
I鈥檓 picking up my RWD SEL on Saturday and I鈥檓 planning on leaving it on Regen lvl 0 and just using the brake pedal to avoid this. Apparently it鈥檚 more efficient to coast anyway.
That鈥檚 missing out on one of the joys of driving an EV. Experiment with all the options. My bet is you鈥檒l use regen more than you think

Registered
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD Digital Teal w/ Green/Gray 2 tone interior
That鈥檚 missing out on one of the joys of driving an EV. Experiment with all the options. My bet is you鈥檒l use regen more than you think
The brakes are blended regen/friction from my understanding so shouldn鈥檛 be missing out on regen. Maybe missing out on 1 pedal driving, but I think I can live with it to avoid rage incidents. Coasting allows hypermiling too.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts