Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ioniq 5 73Kwh RWD Premium
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post since getting my Ioniq 5 three weeks ago so hallo everyone.
Like everyone else, most impressed with pretty much everything about the car. Coming from a Kia Niro PHEV which had many of the features that the Ioniq has but not the regen paddles, I love the control they give you and especially the i-pedal stop go feature. Until yesterday evening that is.

I had noticed a few cars suddenly overtaking me aggressively and pulling in in front before returning to normal speed when driving in traffic in built up areas. As they were the usual suspects driving German cars I didn't think too much of it but last night I seemed to have done something to particularly annoy a young "boy racer" in his noisy Golf GTI. After he had swerved past me and cut into the gap between me and the car in front, we stopped at the lights and he partly got out of his car and shook his fist at me.

Now I had been wondering how and when the brake lights operated when using the one pedal mode and I am now convinced that they come on whenever one eases off on the pedal. As you do this constantly when trying to keep to a set speed, if the brake lights come on every time it would look to the driver behind as if I was riding the brake pedal or trying to tell them to not drive so close, which would be very annoying after a while. It would annoy me! As a result I have stopped using i-pedal and level 3 regen in town.

Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL AWD Digitial Teal
108 Posts
Hi, this is my first post since getting my Ioniq 5 three weeks ago so hallo everyone.
Like everyone else, most impressed with pretty much everything about the car. Coming from a Kia Niro PHEV which had many of the features that the Ioniq has but not the regen paddles, I love the control they give you and especially the i-pedal stop go feature. Until yesterday evening that is.

I had noticed a few cars suddenly overtaking me aggressively and pulling in in front before returning to normal speed when driving in traffic in built up areas. As they were the usual suspects driving German cars I didn't think too much of it but last night I seemed to have done something to particularly annoy a young "boy racer" in his noisy Golf GTI. After he had swerved past me and cut into the gap between me and the car in front, we stopped at the lights and he partly got out of his car and shook his fist at me.

Now I had been wondering how and when the brake lights operated when using the one pedal mode and I am now convinced that they come on whenever one eases off on the pedal. As you do this constantly when trying to keep to a set speed, if the brake lights come on every time it would look to the driver behind as if I was riding the brake pedal or trying to tell them to not drive so close, which would be very annoying after a while. It would annoy me! As a result I have stopped using i-pedal and level 3 regen in town.

Last night while driving home from Boston on my first real "road trip" in the car, I realized as I was going through hilly terrain on the decline while in HDA the brake light kicked on an exhaustive amount which as a recent ICE convert, I could see being extremely annoying. I need to play with the settings on the highway more to see if setting to a different regen level changes that behavior or not. Not sure why it would even need to apply brakes as wind resistance would be enough to decelerate the vehicle enough to maintain the set speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually had a similar experience just the other day. The road changed to highway and the van that had been behind for a couple of km sped up and drove right next to me for quite some distance before he finally floored it and drove ahead at a substantially higher speed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The Bolt only came on when deceleration was hard.
As in, you are going 50mph are in L mode and let off pedal totally.
Now same thing but you feather your pedal off slowly= no brake lights.
If on the i5 you are in 3 regen and it comes on like the 2nd scenario then there is a problem.

@Doesituk are you Fully taking your foot off the pedal that you feel the hard force of stopping? If so you need to feather the pressure ff the pedal I think

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have just now taped a silver foil reflector above the high level light bar and a piece of white paper inside the rear window. The sun is too bright too see it well at the moment but once it gets dark I should be able to see when the brake light is on in the rear view mirror. I'll then test drive on a quiet road with up and down gradients at different settings and speeds and report back.

Lin19687 Yes it may be me driving as you would an ICE car, i.e. accelerating then lifting off and coasting for a bit then accelerating again and repeating. I-pedal seems to require that you hold the gas pedal in a fixed position according to the speed you wish to drive at as acceleration/deceleration is instant as soon as you change the pressure on the pedal. Since I have been driving for nearly 60 years it may be too much of an ask for me to control the pedal position that precisely in which case, much as I like it, I really don't want to irritate people with my driving style and will stop using it.

Also have found that, when driving in normal regen, if I hold the left paddle in just as the car is coming to a halt it will stop and hold the car just as i-pedal does, so I don't need to keep the brake pedal pressed to stop it creeping forward, which is the nice thing about i-pedal.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 RWD 73kWh Balance Cyber Grey
43 Posts

I have my car from mid november (RWD). According to the dealer the brake lights don’t come on that much any more with regen level 3 or I-pedal. The software has been adapted because of reactions as those you described.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred (mid trim) Long Range RWD, winter tires
244 Posts
I have my car from mid november (RWD). According to the dealer the brake lights don’t come on that much any more with regen level 3 or I-pedal. The software has been adapted because of reactions as those you described.
I have pissed off many drivers (pickup trucks in my area) as well. I thought it was the gradual coasting to a stop they didn't like (many if not the majority of ICE drivers in my area don't ease up but gas until it is time to brake hard to a stop). But being the brake lights coming on with regen makes sense.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, on my Model Y, I disengaged autopilot and the car "naturally" slowed down. The pickup truck behind then followed me for off of the freeway all the way to the hotel where he started yelling at me. It was fortunate that I stopped where there were lots of people. I didn't reply since I only figured it out later what had happened.

The bottom line is when regen braking starts, the brake lights do go on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Luca, for that info. Very useful. Mine is September registered so may need that update. Will check with the dealer. It may do it itself as I realised this week that the car must have a data link since the Bluelink app can communicate with it well beyond Bluetooth range. Part of the "fun" with Hyundai and Kia is discovering just what your car has or hasn't, as opposed to what the dealer/reviews said, after you get it!

·
Registered
2021 Project 45
149 Posts
This is the first time I've ever heard of road rage due to brake regen!

I've never noticed any drivers being annoyed at me in my car. I always use Auto (set to max), so perhaps the brake lighting is different. I have wondered when the lights come on though, as I'm still a little wary of someone going up my back end when the car is in regen, slowing down. Never thought to do what the OP is though with the foil and paper, that's a great idea.

·
Registered
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
231 Posts
First off, I don't own a 5 yet. I do own another EV, and when the regen is maximum (not as strong as I'd like) it still doesn't light the brake light. I look forward to having an EV with regen that strong.

Over my decades as a driver and sometimes passenger, I have noticed a lot of drivers who habitually gas and release, gas and release. They've done this forever, don't think it's unusual at all and in many cases aren't even aware it's happening. Not only is this inefficient, it's a bad habit that can lead to exactly the problem described here.

To new EV drivers, I suggest watching your Power/Charge display (right bar in the main instrument screen). If that is jumping around while you drive normally, you need to smooth out your inputs. Its actions should be smooth and steady. Not only will you generate fewer incidents like those described here, you'll get better range.

The brake lights should not be coming on, regardless of whether or not you have regen engaged at any level, unless the surrounding environment presents you with a good, clear reason to slow down. There should be virtually no 'backing off' the throttle to maintain the speed you desire in most normal conditions. That should be easily achievable by gradually easing and pressing the pedal, no full release needed.

I do understand this might seem insulting to those who've been driving long enough to be interested in a 5. I'm only reporting what I've seen with my own eyes. If someone has been doing something for decades and never had a problem with it, then it must be 'normal', right? 'Normal' is what we think it is. But if you apply an old 'normal' to a new situation, sometimes you need a new normal.

Smooth, steady, deliberate, controlled.

Relaxed.

EDIT: Also, regen does not necessarily represent an increase in efficiency. There is an energy loss every time energy is converted, even if you're putting it back in the battery. Regen recovers some energy, but it's best not to expend that energy in the first place. If you're using regen all the time in a fairly steady, predictable environment, you're driving less efficiently than you could. Regen recovers the energy you expended to accelerate, not the energy it takes to maintain speed. If you're driving with an endless stream of little accelerations and regen events, you need to smooth things out.

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 RWD 73kWh Balance Cyber Grey
43 Posts
First off, I don't own a 5 yet. I do own another EV, and when the regen is maximum (not as strong as I'd like) it still doesn't light the brake light. I look forward to having an EV with regen that strong.

Over my decades as a driver and sometimes passenger, I have noticed a lot of drivers who habitually gas and release, gas and release. They've done this forever, don't think it's unusual at all and in many cases aren't even aware it's happening. Not only is this inefficient, it's a bad habit that can lead to exactly the problem described here.

To new EV drivers, I suggest watching your Power/Charge display (right bar in the main instrument screen). If that is jumping around while you drive normally, you need to smooth out your inputs. Its actions should be smooth and steady. Not only will you generate fewer incidents like those described here, you'll get better range.

The brake lights should not be coming on, regardless of whether or not you have regen engaged at any level, unless the surrounding environment presents you with a good reason to slow down. Smooth, steady, deliberate, controlled.
Regen level 3 (i-pedal) is almost the same as bracking. I hardly use the brakes. I can recuperate 25% of the energy through i-pedal on short urban trips.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Guys, I rigged up an LED to indicate when the brake lights are on.
Electrical wiring Gadget Cable Automotive exterior Machine

I'm in the process of collecting some videos to fully describe the behavior of the brake lights. Not ready to share the videos yet, but I do have a couple observations:
  1. In regen level 0 or 1, the brake lights do not turn on upon throttle lift-off.
  2. In regen level 2, 3 or i-pedal, the brake lights DO turn on upon throttle lift-off. However, the pedal position to turn on the brake lights is basically fully released. The slightest touch of the accelerator pedal turns the brake lights off.
  3. To reiterate, the brake lights do not come on with a slight lift-off/deceleration.
  4. In i-pedal, it is very possible, by partially lifting off, to slow and come to a stop in a reasonable distance without the brake lights ever coming on.
  5. Despite my earlier belief that the brake lights are triggered by a certain "g's" of deceleration, I so far haven't found any evidence that this is true. For example, going down a steep hill in level 2 regen, with foot off the accelerator, the actual speed is quite constant, but the brake lights are on. But as mentioned, in i-pedal, significant deceleration can be achieved without turning on the brake lights.
  6. In cruise control, the brakes lights go on as soon as it detects the car in front slowing.
  7. Auto regen is a bit more complicated because of the interaction between the regen level present before selecting auto and the gentle/medium/strong setting in vehicle settings. I have one data point: with the setting in "gentle" and the pre-auto level of 0, lifting off results in very little deceleration and no brake lights. But when the car decides to decelerate some more due traffic ahead, the brake lights come on.
  8. One noteworthy and slightly odd behavior: in i-pedal, foot off the accelerator, the brake lights are on and the car slows. But just coming to a stop, the brake lights turn off and remain off unless you press the brake pedal. This is true even if auto-hold is on.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Ultimate T+E - SSG
25 Posts
Every other Uber driver in the UK! I have no idea why is it not making them sick driving like that. 5 minutes like that to me and I am about to throw up from the motion sickness it causes..

·
Registered
2019 Ioniq 28kWh
530 Posts
  1. Despite my earlier belief that the brake lights are triggered by a certain "g's" of deceleration, I so far haven't found any evidence that this is true. For example, going down a steep hill in level 2 regen, with foot off the accelerator, the actual speed is quite constant, but the brake lights are on. But as mentioned, in i-pedal, significant deceleration can be achieved without turning on the brake lights.
It must be some sort of algorithm taking lots of stuff inacount. In my car I can also feel the deacceleration being harder at regen with no brakelight then criuce control on a slight slope with brakelights on. And I know for sure I can even be still with the car off and still get the lights going if pressing the pedal, so more then one thing controls it for sure. And yes, sometimes it almost flickers as if I was an uncertain driver. Speed would still be very smooth and consitent though.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Preferred (mid trim) Long Range RWD, winter tires
244 Posts
Guys, I rigged up an LED to indicate when the brake lights are on.
View attachment 38857

I'm in the process of collecting some videos to fully describe the behavior of the brake lights. Not ready to share the videos yet, but I do have a couple observations:
  1. In regen level 0 or 1, the brake lights do not turn on upon throttle lift-off.
  2. In regen level 2, 3 or i-pedal, the brake lights DO turn on upon throttle lift-off. However, the pedal position to turn on the brake lights is basically fully released. The slightest touch of the accelerator pedal turns the brake lights off.
  3. To reiterate, the brake lights do not come on with a slight lift-off/deceleration.
  4. In i-pedal, it is very possible, by partially lifting off, to slow and come to a stop in a reasonable distance without the brake lights ever coming on.
  5. Despite my earlier belief that the brake lights are triggered by a certain "g's" of deceleration, I so far haven't found any evidence that this is true. For example, going down a steep hill in level 2 regen, with foot off the accelerator, the actual speed is quite constant, but the brake lights are on. But as mentioned, in i-pedal, significant deceleration can be achieved without turning on the brake lights.
  6. In cruise control, the brakes lights go on as soon as it detects the car in front slowing.
  7. Auto regen is a bit more complicated because of the interaction between the regen level present before selecting auto and the gentle/medium/strong setting in vehicle settings. I have one data point: with the setting in "gentle" and the pre-auto level of 0, lifting off results in very little deceleration and no brake lights. But when the car decides to decelerate some more due traffic ahead, the brake lights come on.
  8. One noteworthy and slightly odd behavior: in i-pedal, foot off the accelerator, the brake lights are on and the car slows. But just coming to a stop, the brake lights turn off and remain off unless you press the brake pedal. This is true even if auto-hold is on.
Hope this helps.
Excellent. This helps a lot understanding when the brake lights engage or not.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts