Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tyres would anyone recommend to reduce the noise. I notice the electric version has a standard walled tyre, the hybrid has a lower profile tyre Suggestions please.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have noticed that the tires that came standard on my 2019 Ioniq HEV have different types of noises on different road surface. On a relatively recently black top pavement they are quiet. They a little louder on certain concrete surfaces. But I have never found that on any surface they are really loud.

·
Registered
154 Posts
On the basis that you only have one set of wheels, they must be the same size as is already on the car, all tyres now have dB information on the information label along with weather performance and other data. If you really find the noise that bad, go for the ones with the lowest noise rating.

Those members who are required to have ‘winter’ tyres will probably have two sets of wheels and the winter ones maybe a smaller diameter with taller side walls on the tyres, but the rolling circumference will be the same so the speedo and odometer remain accurate.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE Black
52 Posts
I'm looking into the Dunlop Sport Bluresponse in that they offer similar efficiency and ride quality performance as the OEM tyres, but are quieter.

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
I'm looking into the Dunlop Sport Bluresponse in that they offer similar efficiency and ride quality performance as the OEM tyres, but are quieter.
They do and are cheaper too :)

·
Registered
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Premium
44 Posts
On my I30 I changed all the tyres to the Goodyear Efficient Grip I think they were called. Or Performance Grip? Either way, 4 tyres cost £225 fitted at F1 Autocentre and they are rated 68Db, rated A for fuel if I recall correctly and B for grip. Again off the top of my head. But, they made a massive difference. The ride was very smooth and noticeably quieter.

That said, not sure if they are available in sizes that would fit the Ioniq

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also have a noise issue from the Michelin Primacy 3 225/45/17 tyres that my Ioniq came with. One of the wheels is making from time to time and only on some type of surface a sound as if the wheel bearing has problems. And it is not the bearing. I think I have to change them for something else next year as the sound drives me mad especially in EV mode. I looked at the Primacy 4 225/45/17 XL and they have A rating for fuel consumption, A for wet braking and 68bd for noise. But I don't know if to trust Michelins after my experience, I have roughly 30000km with the original ones.

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq Electric
25 Posts
I also have a noise issue from the Michelin Primacy 3 225/45/17 tyres that my Ioniq came with. One of the wheels is making from time to time and only on some type of surface a sound as if the wheel bearing has problems. And it is not the bearing. I think I have to change them for something else next year as the sound drives me mad especially in EV mode. I looked at the Primacy 4 225/45/17 XL and they have A rating for fuel consumption, A for wet braking and 68bd for noise. But I don't know if to trust Michelins after my experience, I have roughly 30000km with the original ones.
Michelin is worth trusting, but unfortunately it’s tire model dependant. Their X-Ice, Defender and Pilot series are all extremely good tires for their uses. Primacy, unfortunately, are not their best tires at all. I would never buy primacy, I would only accept them as a tire that came as original equipment.

·
IONIQ Electric, SE (w/ CCP) 2018.
736 Posts
My Energy Saver AS tyres are started to get to the end of their life, they currently have 85,000km on them. In general I've been very happy with them, though they can be a bit noisy on some rougher pavements. Did some research on replacements and came over a review on them. The review rated them highly, but ultimately they thought that the Premier AS was a better tyre and recommended them over the Energy Saver AS. However, the site was just reviewing the tyre in general, and not specifically for EV's or the IONIQ. Can anybody comment on the Premier AS series of tyre from Michelin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts