Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 IONIQ 5 Limited
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone from Hyundai is combing through these forums, please bring back the retro vacuum tube radio display-- at least as an option! My wife and I absolutely love that display. I do understand that some people hate it, but we love it so much that I'm delaying the April 2022 software update for the simple reason that the update removes the vacuum tube display. Silly, I know, but we all have our quirks. I'm hoping that future updates will provide the option for user-preferred radio display. :)

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
If anyone from Hyundai is combing through these forums, please bring back the retro vacuum tube radio display-- at least as an option! My wife and I absolutely love that display. I do understand that some people hate it, but we love it so much that I'm delaying the April 2022 software update for the simple reason that the update removes the vacuum tube display. Silly, I know, but we all have our quirks. I'm hoping that future updates will provide the option for user-preferred radio display. :)
You'll be missing some new features like the ability to change from light to dark themes automatically by sunrise and sunset (which is on many other cars and should have been there in the first place). Yes, I liked the radio tube display, but sometimes updates give and sometimes they take.

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD
15 Posts
The new user interface of the radio controls FAR FAR FAR outweighs the cool factor of the vacuum tubes....
  • The radio presets are now oriented vertically and freely scroll in both directions with a virtual quick-scroll handle handle allowing one to scroll very quickly
  • The vertical alignment also means that the up/down steering wheel controls for radio presets now intuitively align perfectly to the physical layout compared to the unintuitive down=right setup of the old interface
  • The presets now show the radio/XM station name and graphical logo instead of just the number (I mean, who memorizes XM channel numbers anyway? Besides 90's on 9, that is 😝)
  • All of the presets can now be reordered; previously forcefully sorted in numerical order
  • The new setting to switch the light/dark themes automatically based on outside brightness is a GAME CHANGER that really improved my satisfaction especially with night-driving comfort
  • Full screen Android Auto is really nice
Yeah, I get it that the new radio interface now looks pretty generic, but the utility of it makes driving and usage enjoyment better.

To be honest, I thought the vacuum tubes were OK but quirky and make more sense as an optional theme rather than an unchangeable default. Based on the feedback, maybe Hyundai will add radio GUI themes to a future update

My $0.02.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, I would love them back too! please hyundai, gives us the option at least.

also, with the new update. you can't see the full song names anymore if the name is too long, it's kind of annoying for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The new user interface of the radio controls FAR FAR FAR outweighs the cool factor of the vacuum tubes....
  • The radio presets are now oriented vertically and freely scroll in both directions with a virtual quick-scroll handle handle allowing one to scroll very quickly
  • The vertical alignment also means that the up/down steering wheel controls for radio presets now intuitively align perfectly to the physical layout compared to the unintuitive down=right setup of the old interface
  • The presets now show the radio/XM station name and graphical logo instead of just the number (I mean, who memorizes XM channel numbers anyway? Besides 90's on 9, that is 😝)
  • All of the presets can now be reordered; previously forcefully sorted in numerical order
  • The new setting to switch the light/dark themes automatically based on outside brightness is a GAME CHANGER that really improved my satisfaction especially with night-driving comfort
  • Full screen Android Auto is really nice
Yeah, I get it that the new radio interface now looks pretty generic, but the utility of it makes driving and usage enjoyment better.

To be honest, I thought the vacuum tubes were OK but quirky and make more sense as an optional theme rather than an unchangeable default. Based on the feedback, maybe Hyundai will add radio GUI themes to a future update

My $0.02.
They are not vacuum tubes. They are filled with neon gas and are called NIXIE TUBES.

·
Registered
I5 LR RWD> RIP-Audi S4
435 Posts
I do not expect they will return, was a neat feature but the update is worth the loss for the greater benefits. Who actually listens to FM radio still its all just commercials,lol, push on!

·
Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, Lucid Blue with Gray/White Interior
97 Posts
IMHO, other than it's a cool thing, those tubes don't serve good purpose. The most important things for the radio interface is the artist name and song title. When I listen to a radio station, I already know what station that is, so I don't really care about radio station/channel in large tubes. The old interface had the artist name and song title at the bottom with small fonts. I like the new interface a lot more.

Reactions: eps105
1 - 13 of 13 Posts