Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
There are definitely a couple of little knacks to work out.

The pedal blip has been mentioned above. If you're running on engine when you think it should be battery then you can lift off and gently back on and it will often flip to electric.

Weather can definitely have an impact. Driving 60 miles home in the dark, light on, heater on, wipers on and a squally horrible night out there including standing water on the road and I dropped a whole 1 mpg. A big deal when you've spent a week nursing your average up by point something of a mpg.

I've also got an awful section of concrete road to deal with twice a day. Definitely not as good for a bit of coasting.

Perhaps a better gauge for any individual is not to compare against other drivers on other topography at different speeds. But how does it compare with your previous car?

I'm using less then half the fuel I was in my previous car. That's got to be more important than how I'm doing compared with someone that only ever drives on flat road perfect tarmac.
Same here, the PHEV is better than the HEV, but by an amount that I would describe as `reasonable` - on a couple of long journeys (one of 420 miles the other of 290) with no opportunity to boost the battery (except at home) my PHEV still managed 79-80 UK mpg against 65 UK mpg of the HEV over the same journey. Compare that to fixed 50 mpg for the Skoda (and diesel) and it's really worth having!

Given I now have to claim my mileage on a `pence per mile` basis rather than the `fuel cost` basis I enjoyed with my previous employer those extra 15 mpg have now encouraged me to use battery charging whenever possible, as it boosts the mileage of the PHEV by at least 5mpg whenever I do so, to get me to the 85 mpg I report.
I have also got quite canny at using `other peoples electricity` to ensure MY fuel cost is `First 37 miles at zero cost`..!

On the HEV I never bothered about filling up in Motorway services but I've got more parsimonious and happily hunt a couple of miles off-route (using that nil-cost electricity) to reach a petrol station with a 10p/litre saving. The more I can save wet fuel with battery, the better off I am...

If you are seeing excessive ICE use at 60-65 mph I suggest you review your technique - start with whether it's actually 60-65 mph or whether its crept up to 70! As I repeat often, drag increases as the square of the speed, so even dropping 5mph will reduce fuel consumption noticeably...

Reactions: bluecar1

·
Registered
101 Posts
My blue is currently averaging 51.6mpg. Yes, its not the 58mpg-US advertised but my drive that includes a fairly large grade climb. When I drive longer trips or trips without the grade involved, I usually see 57-59mpg. I figure I'm still way ahead of the game when compared to other cars I'd drive.
Update: The above has been true until just recently when I moved 12miles west. Now my 30min commute is 45, and those added miles are rolling moutain roads. I'm now just over 60mph in my most recent fills. I guess the car is getting more of a charge on my new section of my commute. I expect this to drop a little over the next week as triple digit temperatures are expected.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts