Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 2200 miles on my Hybrid Blue.

1st fill up: 49.9 MPG
2nd fill up: 56.0 MPG
3rd fill up: 52.1 MPG
4th fill up: 55.2 MPG
5th fill up: 54.8 MPG
Average: 53.69

It's hard for me to imagine getting anywhere near 60MPG! How do you guys do it?!

This is with me driving very economically trying to keep the EV running.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just stick with it.

My Ionic Blue won't be with me for a few weeks but I have a friend who's been driving one for 3 or 4 months. He reckons that it will slowly improve as you put the miles on and at the moment he's getting 66 miles to the gallon so maybe you've just got to keep at it. He doesn't seem to drive with eco in mind but apparently the thing just keeps getting better.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Where are you based ? Are those UK or US figures ?
And Welcome ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are US figures. I also wanted to note that I'm consistently 6 mpg under what the calculated mpg reads. anyone else notice this?

Thanks for the welcome, chunga!

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
welcome Silentwake

don't try too hard initially to get good mpg, you need to get the engine to run to bed in and the ECU to see a full range of power and engine speeds, the 1st 900 miles of mine it was a demo and salesmans car, I heard one got a speeding ticket in it before I got it

drive it normal then gradually use the techniques to improve, when I got mine I couldn't get more than 72 mpg, I am now up into 90+ mpg (UK) about 75mpg (US) but I have 22,000 miles on my car and it is just starting to level out for economy

speed has a big bearing on economy, 60-65mph is the best speed, 70+mph you are running mainly on ICE

the other thing is gentle on the gas and brakes, you will be amazed how far the Ioniq will coast on a flat road

the other thing is I use BP fuel all the time, no ethanol as far as I am aware, E10 will knock 5mpg off I believe

so as yo can see so many things that affect mpg

can yo tell us more about you drives? speeds, distances, many steep grades? etc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drive 30 miles each day. 15 to and from work. There are a lot of elevation changes but no mountains or very steep hills. I rarely get on the highway so I almost never get above 60MPH.

Its funny you say 60-65 MPH is the best speed -- I've noticed the opposite. I say that because at these speeds, the EV does not kick on and the calculated MPG never exceeds 55 MPG. I get the best MPG when driving in traffic, at low speeds. Why do you say this is the best speed?

Also, what is E10? What gas stations do not have this? Which stations should I be fueling at? (Live in Texas)

Thanks bluecar!

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Your daily commute is about the same as mine ( 18 miles each way for me ) with no highway mileage . So basically my speeds are vary between 60 mph to 30 mph with plenty of elevation changes and one small mountain . On an upward incline it's difficult to get into EV only mode but usually I just give the accelerator a little nudge on the down slopes take my foot off the gas and let momentum do the work . If you gently nudge the gas on the approach to the next up slope I can get it up to 50 or 60 in EV mode . It's all about as light a foot on the gas as you can .

·
Super Moderator
8,250 Posts
E10 is gas with 10% ethanol you guy get stateside, short runs like you describe I get 65-70mpg (UK) 51-60mpg (US) so I think you are not to far out of the expected economy, do you do any longer runs?

I suspect the ICE is not running efficiently as taking a fair percentage of the time to warm up if you are trying to keep it in EV mode ,

try a few runs without trying to be economical and see what you get

if you do a longer run of 50+miles in one go I would expect your economy to improve

·
Registered
101 Posts
My blue is currently averaging 51.6mpg. Yes, its not the 58mpg-US advertised but my drive that includes a fairly large grade climb. When I drive longer trips or trips without the grade involved, I usually see 57-59mpg. I figure I'm still way ahead of the game when compared to other cars I'd drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are definitely a couple of little knacks to work out.

The pedal blip has been mentioned above. If you're running on engine when you think it should be battery then you can lift off and gently back on and it will often flip to electric.

Weather can definitely have an impact. Driving 60 miles home in the dark, light on, heater on, wipers on and a squally horrible night out there including standing water on the road and I dropped a whole 1 mpg. A big deal when you've spent a week nursing your average up by point something of a mpg.

I've also got an awful section of concrete road to deal with twice a day. Definitely not as good for a bit of coasting.

Perhaps a better gauge for any individual is not to compare against other drivers on other topography at different speeds. But how does it compare with your previous car?

I'm using less then half the fuel I was in my previous car. That's got to be more important than how I'm doing compared with someone that only ever drives on flat road perfect tarmac.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
"Perhaps a better gauge for any individual is not to compare against other drivers on other topography at different speeds. But how does it compare with your previous car?"
I think that hits the nail on the head . My last car returned about 56 mpg which I was pleased with . My expectations for the Ioniq , given the hilly terrain in South Wales , were somewhere around the same . I never expected to come close to the claimed 83.1 mpg .
My first few fill ups returned around 58 mpg and , in all honestly , I was pretty happy with that . Since then the mpg average has increased to nearer 70 mpg with one fill up coming in at over 80 mpg . I think bluecar1's returns will be safe from any challenge from me but I'm more than happy with my figures

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I drive 30 miles each day. 15 to and from work. There are a lot of elevation changes but no mountains or very steep hills. I rarely get on the highway so I almost never get above 60MPH.

Its funny you say 60-65 MPH is the best speed -- I've noticed the opposite. I say that because at these speeds, the EV does not kick on and the calculated MPG never exceeds 55 MPG. I get the best MPG when driving in traffic, at low speeds. Why do you say this is the best speed?

Also, what is E10? What gas stations do not have this? Which stations should I be fueling at? (Live in Texas)

Thanks bluecar!
The obvious thing to look at is `technique`, Bluecar and I drone up and down motorways all day, every day and are at the opposite ends of the scale when it comes to economy driving and I see never less than 65 mpg UK / 54 mpg US. Generally it's closer to 70 mpg UK / 58 mpg US.

As has been noted in the forums and here, mpg will increase over time - first 10,000 miles should see your average climb slowly but consistently and even the next 10,000 before it finally stabilises. 50-65 mph IS the best speed because all cars drag increase as a square of the speed, and the Ioniq has a drag co-efficient of 0.24. So keeping the speed below 70 mph optimises the power/weight/drag envelope.

If you're not getting better consumption at those speeds then perhaps its time to look at your driving style. There are a number of tips across the forum.

Finally E10 is a fuel that contains 10% Ethanol. It's in a lot of US fuels. the ethanol is a bioEthanol but it lowers the calorific content of the fuel and so mpg WILL suffer - usually by around 10%. I think you'll need the US members to advise further on that score, but generally the advice is don't use it unless the alternative is vastly more expensive.

·
Registered
Marina Blue HEV Ltd IONIQ from 25 Jul '17
1,865 Posts
Just came across this site that lists Ethanol-Free gas locations in the US and Canada:

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Just pay attention to the Octane rating listed, because most of the time it's the premium grades only that are Ethanol free. That said, if they have a medium grade, most stations create the medium grade by mixing the high and low grade, which would at least provide a reduction in the ethanol then; but probably most stations that do that have ethanol in all their grades already. Anyways. Take it as you will.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Silentwake, and nice to hear from you. Are you comparing the U.S. gallon to the U.K. gallon (Imperial gallon)? If so, you are not going to get anywhere near the mileage that they get. Here is a website that will do the conversion for you: https://www.calculateme.com/cGasMileage/milespergallon-imperial-to-us.htm

I have an abundance of traffic lights in my city, and it kills the gas mileage, with having to stop and start every fifth of a mile or so. I recently took a trip to Pennsylvania from Virginia, and the computer showed 58 mpg on the Interstate while averaging 70 mph, and I was happy with this. The ACTUAL mileage was around 56 mpg, so yes, my computer reads a little higher mileage than actual, and averages about 2.5-3 mpg on the high side. My mileage around town, with all the traffic lights averages in the high 40's. I hope this gives you a little better insight....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anyone have the science behind "breaking in" the Ioniq? It is interesting that MPG gets better over time.
For other cars, many claim that MPG increases over time(break in). However, many feather footers, applying their techniques from previous cars, claim excellent MPG from the beginning of car ownership.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ethanol-Free gas locations in the US and Canada:https://www.pure-gas.org/
Yes, pure-gas.org is the go-to website to find any of the 12,600+ stations selling ethanol-free gasoline. Some states have 800+ sources for E0. Other states have no E0 stations. The south-east states have to greatest density of E0 stations, with Wisconsin, Minnesota, New York, others having great quantities. Many states with good access to E0, may have E0 only in higher octanes. I used E0 in my last five 87 octane gasoline engines, gaining 8% to 5% extra MPG. Ethanol, most often making 10% ethanol blends, has an octane rating of 114. As used in 87 octane engines, ethanol can NOT release its energy efficiently, since it misses much of the engine power stroke, due to its delayed burning. The problem with E0, is the federal gov't penalizes oil companies for E0 production & is the reason E0 most often costs much more than E10. My own past favorite E0 gasoline stations, which sold E0 within pennies of E10, now charge nearly $1 more per gallon for E0, as compared to E10.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
That's it TIC, don't fret the averages, just compare.

Silentwake, as others have said, it will take well over 10,000 miles before the mpg increase starts to level off. You also need to apply hypermiling techniques if you wish to reach the extremes of mpg you see in here, and be aware that UK mpg is not the same as US mpg, so always be sure you are comparing apples with apples, not oranges. In the meantime if you are not seeing the battery kicking in you may need to slightly alter your technique as Column suggests, particularly on the level and downhill stretches.

The power required to keep a car at speed is a fraction of that required to accelerate it there. I regularly have the battery mode cut in at well over 70 mph by using the technique above.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We only have 10% ethanol blends in Washington as mandated by law. There literally is no way to buy 100% at the standard pump. From an energy standpoint I think you lose 3-4% or there abouts. From vehicle power it may be more, I don't know.

It doesn't seem to make as much difference as most claim because I've fuelled with both on other vehicles and not seen huge differences. YMMV.

I have yet to break mine in and I am only going on the trip compter but 61.8 US mpg with 10% ethanol. Seattle has mild and moderate weather so long-term I think that and driver behavior will matter more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm on my 7th tank of gas with my Blue, so far I'm at 57mpg running 75 miles a day total for work. We've done one trip from PHX to Laughlin, NV in it and used a little less than a full tank, was able to go to work one day when we came back.

Compared to my Elantra GT, I'm filling up way less, and the trip to Laughlin would have been easily 2 tanks of gas. I have about 4100 miles on the car right now. Couldn't be happier with what I'm getting for Mileage.

Trip computer shows between 60.5 as high as 62 on it so yeah its reading a bit higher than actual MPG calculated.

Elantra GT about 330 a tank in gas
Ioniq Blue about 580 a tank in gas - Win!

Reactions: bluecar1
1 - 20 of 22 Posts