Hyundai IONIQ Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq phev 2018
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced them for the looks of it. I didn't want to look at the old rusty ones. I removed rust from them 1,5 years ago. The wheel suspension parts still looks almost like new. I bought a tool for pressing the piston, but it was almost unnecessary, it moved very easily. I disliked the grinding noise from the rusty brakes. I think the cause of the noise was rusty edges of the rotors.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Locking hubs Tread

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Ultimate
1,354 Posts
The discs, the rears in particular, will easily haze over with rust under normal use. Unless you brake heavily, the blended braking system uses regen to do all the work down to about 7 km/h before the mechanicals kick in. At that point there's not much scrubbing left to be done so the rust builds up.

Here's the trick: When you see the haze (or hear that graunchy sound), shift into neutral before doing your braking. Regen uses the drive motor in reverse to feed power back into the battery under braking, but if you're in neutral it can't do that so the mechanical brakes have to do all the work. That gives them a good scrubbing and clears the rust after a few stops, once they go silent again you can go back to braking normally. I find myself having to do this every month or two, more often in the winter when there's salt on the roads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts